• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings_fanatic

Another goalie thread...

Rate this topic

I know there are several goalie threads on this board and I also know that this board is split between supporters of Ozzy and supporters of Howard. However, since the break has come back I feel NO confidence in Howard at all; everytime the other team shoots the puck I am worried about it going in. Howard was great this year for the wings but it is time Ozzy starts to play because we are simply NOT going to get into the playoffs with Howard in net. He looked TERRIBLE in the game today even though the wings won (his rebounds were hurrendous, and he got WAY too out of position which allowed Hossa to shoot at a wide open net with 2 minutes remaining, and his little dive that got a goal called off was risky because he literally fell back himself and got out of position). Also how many times do the Wings get 2 and 3 goal leads and we think the game is away and the Wings can start to rest guys but NO Howard has to start letting in goals... he is not good enough and cannot continue to play if the Wings want success... Ozzy needs to play end of story...

I know there are several goalie threads on this board and I also know that this board is split between supporters of Ozzy and supporters of Howard. However, since the break has come back I feel NO confidence in Howard at all; everytime the other team shoots the puck I am worried about it going in. Howard was great this year for the wings but it is time Ozzy starts to play because we are simply NOT going to get into the playoffs with Howard in net. He looked TERRIBLE in the game today even though the wings won (his rebounds were hurrendous, and he got WAY too out of position which allowed Hossa to shoot at a wide open net with 2 minutes remaining, and his little dive that got a goal called off was risky because he literally fell back himself and got out of position). Also how many times do the Wings get 2 and 3 goal leads and we think the game is away and the Wings can start to rest guys but NO Howard has to start letting in goals... he is not good enough and cannot continue to play if the Wings want success... Ozzy needs to play end of story...

This is a joke, right?

One bad game? Did you miss the terrible goal he allowed in Colorado from a terribly weak angle which allowed the Avs RITE back in the game? Did you see Howard against Vancouver; that was one of the worst performances I have seen from a goalie at the NHL level...the Wings will not get far with Howard that is a fact because of hit terrible rebound control... Ozzy needs to play hands down

One bad game? Did you miss the terrible goal he allowed in Colorado from a terribly weak angle which allowed the Avs RITE back in the game? Did you see Howard against Vancouver; that was one of the worst performances I have seen from a goalie at the NHL level...the Wings will not get far with Howard that is a fact because of hit terrible rebound control... Ozzy needs to play hands down

The team had enough offensive firepower last year to overcome Ozzie's poor regular season play. That luxury doesn't exist this year.

Guest mindfly

You do realise both goalies are bad? It's like picking between plauge and cholera

Edited by mindfly

Ozzy stole us a game against the Hawks in October making over 30 saves, stole us the game agaisnt Boston, stole us a game against Nashville making over 30 saves... do not say Ozzy hasn't stolen games for us or played solid for us. Since that Nashville game where he made 32 saves he has not even been given a chance to get into the groove, but now Howard is not looking good at all (he almost single handidly allowed the Hawks to come back from down 3 goals!!!!) because the net was WIDE open for Hossa to score... Sorry but Howard needs to sit for Ozzy

According to LGW, 90% of the players in the NHL are bad. You aren't even considered good unless you can score 40+ goals and be a selke winner

Even if you would score 40+ goals you could still be accused of murdering and even if you would win that Selke you would still be just another Soft Euro™.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

According to LGW, 90% of the players in the NHL are bad. You aren't even considered good unless you can score 40+ goals and be a selke winner

If this team had Hudler here, it wouldn't matter at all. He would Single handedly have 40 goals and 50 assists by now while playing 4th line minutes.

This isn't like the past two seasons with either Osgood or Hasek trying to get in a groove where we could wait for them to being a top-seed.

The Red Wings are fighting for their playoff lives right now, and even though theya re in 8th right now, playoffs are not a certainty.

I like Osgood, but Howard has been more consistent overall this year and has still shown he brings the best chance to win this season, and now. The Red WIngs need points NOW.

Sorry, until Howard just consistently poops the bed, he's staying in.

While I agree Howard's rebound control was poor today, I blame the third period on Babcock. Flat out, he doesn't know how to coach with a lead. The Red Wings stopped forechecking, collapsed their defense at the blue line, and never controlled the puck -- all of the elements that typically get them the lead to begin with. Teams with skill (like Chicago) are going to tear that sitting on a lead nonsense to shreds and we are quite lucky it didn't come all the way back to haunt the Wings today.

As far as the goalie situation, I don't agree with it but I am accepting it for what it has become. I want Howard to completely succeed, but there is always going to be a part of me that feels like Babcock handled Ozzie this season very poorly.

Howard has been a bit flustered since the Olympic break, but at the very least he is able to make the first save when a goalie should, andthat is more than what Osgood has provided this season. Besides, our defensive core is more than capable of covering up for a rookie goaltender's mistakes. Lidstrom, Raffi, Kronwall, and Stuart have all been incredibly conscious of Howard's strengths and weaknesses this year, and they have adapted their game to maximize his effectiveness. Today wasn't the first day that Howie gave up a bad rebound and the defense bailed him out.

The system isn't perfect, no, but it is working.

I don't have a ton of confidence in Howard at the moment but I have 10x more confidence in him than I do in Osgood. You really think we should risk playing Osgood right now when we're still winning with Howard, regardless of him letting in a couple soft goals? If Howard collapses in the playoffs, we can fall back on Osgood and he can have his shot to regain the starting role but until then, we have to go with what's working.

I don't have a ton of confidence in Howard at the moment but I have 10x more confidence in him than I do in Osgood. You really think we should risk playing Osgood right now when we're still winning with Howard, regardless of him letting in a couple soft goals? If Howard collapses in the playoffs, we can fall back on Osgood and he can have his shot to regain the starting role but until then, we have to go with what's working.

That won't work at this point. You expect a goalie that has made one start and a couple of appearances since Christmas to come in cold and take over the starting role in the heat of the playoffs no less?

Right or wrong, Babcock has made it so we sink or swim with Howard.

That won't work at this point. You expect a goalie that has made one start and a couple of appearances since Christmas to come in cold and take over the starting role in the heat of the playoffs no less?

Right or wrong, Babcock has made it so we sink or swim with Howard.

I agree with this, but if Howard does completely fall apart, I don't think Babcock will keep him in.

Osgood should have had more starts earlier in the season but last year he had 137 goals against him and had a 3.09 GAA in the same amount of games that Howard has played this season and Howard has 105 goals against him with a 2.33 GAA. We definitely couldn't afford to let Osgood play like that again and none of Osgood's play when he was playing consistently lead me (or Babcock it seems) to believe this year would have been any different. I have nothing against Osgood and actually, I think he's a great goalie and I recognize everything he's done for this team but he is not our No. 1 goalie and I don't think he should be anymore.

I agree with this, but if Howard does completely fall apart, I don't think Babcock will keep him in.

Osgood should have had more starts earlier in the season but last year he had 137 goals against him and had a 3.09 GAA in the same amount of games that Howard has played this season and Howard has 105 goals against him with a 2.33 GAA. We definitely couldn't afford to let Osgood play like that again and none of Osgood's play when he was playing consistently lead me (or Babcock it seems) to believe this year would have been any different. I have nothing against Osgood and actually, I think he's a great goalie and I recognize everything he's done for this team but he is not our No. 1 goalie and I don't think he should be anymore.

I agree completely. Although, I think there were times this season where Ozzie never got a fair chance from Babcock to at least string some starts together and get into a groove. Granted, Ozzie wasn't anywhere near his playoff level but he was far better earlier this season than any point during last year before April.

The circumstances played into the situation more than usual too. If the Red Wings aren't fighting every game for their playoff lives, it's pretty likely Ozzie would get an opportunity to play. Howard has taken over the role and done a remarkable job giving the team a shot at the playoffs. I feel bad for Ozzie for everything he has given to the team, but it's a business of winning games and he probably knows that better than anyone.

Edited by GoWings1905

Sure Howard has an issue with rebounds right now but at least hes making that first save. If Ozzie were in net the shot that Howie kicked a juicy rebound on just would have gone in the net. What would you prefer? Howard is the only reason the Wings have a shot at the playoffs. If Ozzie had played as many games this year as Howard the Wings would not be in the playoff race at all. Your post is all about nostalgia and not about who gives the best chance of the Wings to make the playoffs.

Since i cant recall Oz having 1 solid game this whole season. I feel a lot better with Howard in net.

This is why I have little faith in LGW.

Osgood vs. Boston?

Osgood vs. Washington?

Osgood vs. Chicago?

To the OP: Howard hasn't been great since the break but he hasn't been AWFUL. He has been getting the wins regardless and as long as he doesn't ruin the Wings he should keep getting his chances. Way too knee-jerk.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Against Vancouver, 3 of the 4 goals scored were a screened PP goal, an excellent breakaway goal and a mid-air deflection circus shot. You can criticize, but be realistic in that criticism. Not every goal is the goalie's fault.

Sure Howard has an issue with rebounds right now but at least hes making that first save. If Ozzie were in net the shot that Howie kicked a juicy rebound on just would have gone in the net. What would you prefer? Howard is the only reason the Wings have a shot at the playoffs. If Ozzie had played as many games this year as Howard the Wings would not be in the playoff race at all. Your post is all about nostalgia and not about who gives the best chance of the Wings to make the playoffs.

This is entirely subjective and you do not know if this would have happened or not. You are only using this to try to justify your preference of the other goalie.

If we just break down the four games since the Olympic break, I don't think he's been awful or anything close. The Stewart goal in Colorado was bad, but it was just one softy; when you give up only two goals you give your team a good chance to win and they did. Vancouver was a disaster but that was one of those games where nothing hit the goalie -- pucks were flying in through screens and everything, it happens. Nothing to complain about from Nashville. Yesterday's game he was shaky and got scored on a lot, but the Hawks are no pushovers; the Wings really sat back and let the Hawks take it to them at the end, and the Wings wouldn't be the only team hanging on for dear life in that situation.

He kicks out rebounds from everywhere and he's a bit inconsistent, but he's only a rookie after all. He's given the Wings a chance to win basically every night, and although I love Oz, I don't think if he were the guy starting every game the Wings would be in any better position than they are now.

Howard has been fine ... not great, but fine. That said, it would be nice if we could rattle off 5 or 6 more wins in a row, get ourselves situated comfortably in the 6-7 seed with some cushion behind us, and then split the starts for the last 10-12 games to get Ozzie some ice time. Howard will be the starter going into the playoffs, and personally I think this is a good year for him to get some playoff experience ... expectations aren't as high as usual, and he's not likely to be the scapegoat if things don't go well.