• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:20 AM

One bad game? Did you miss the terrible goal he allowed in Colorado from a terribly weak angle which allowed the Avs RITE back in the game? Did you see Howard against Vancouver; that was one of the worst performances I have seen from a goalie at the NHL level...the Wings will not get far with Howard that is a fact because of hit terrible rebound control... Ozzy needs to play hands down

Against Vancouver, 3 of the 4 goals scored were a screened PP goal, an excellent breakaway goal and a mid-air deflection circus shot. You can criticize, but be realistic in that criticism. Not every goal is the goalie's fault.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#22 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:48 AM

Sure Howard has an issue with rebounds right now but at least hes making that first save. If Ozzie were in net the shot that Howie kicked a juicy rebound on just would have gone in the net. What would you prefer? Howard is the only reason the Wings have a shot at the playoffs. If Ozzie had played as many games this year as Howard the Wings would not be in the playoff race at all. Your post is all about nostalgia and not about who gives the best chance of the Wings to make the playoffs.

This is entirely subjective and you do not know if this would have happened or not. You are only using this to try to justify your preference of the other goalie.

#23 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:00 AM

If we just break down the four games since the Olympic break, I don't think he's been awful or anything close. The Stewart goal in Colorado was bad, but it was just one softy; when you give up only two goals you give your team a good chance to win and they did. Vancouver was a disaster but that was one of those games where nothing hit the goalie -- pucks were flying in through screens and everything, it happens. Nothing to complain about from Nashville. Yesterday's game he was shaky and got scored on a lot, but the Hawks are no pushovers; the Wings really sat back and let the Hawks take it to them at the end, and the Wings wouldn't be the only team hanging on for dear life in that situation.

He kicks out rebounds from everywhere and he's a bit inconsistent, but he's only a rookie after all. He's given the Wings a chance to win basically every night, and although I love Oz, I don't think if he were the guy starting every game the Wings would be in any better position than they are now.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#24 lets go pavel

lets go pavel

Pacifiers are for pansies. I chew pucks!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

Howard has been fine ... not great, but fine. That said, it would be nice if we could rattle off 5 or 6 more wins in a row, get ourselves situated comfortably in the 6-7 seed with some cushion behind us, and then split the starts for the last 10-12 games to get Ozzie some ice time. Howard will be the starter going into the playoffs, and personally I think this is a good year for him to get some playoff experience ... expectations aren't as high as usual, and he's not likely to be the scapegoat if things don't go well.
"The one thing I love about Datsyuk, and there is much to love, is that no other player is like him. And, at least in recent history, it's hard to think of any player who has really been like him. He is a unique freak of nature in how he stick checks and operates in tight quarters. It's amazing how he deceives people from a stand-still position or when he isn't moving very fast. He is hockey's David Blaine." -- John Buccigross

#25 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

I like Howard over many of the other starting goalies in the NHL. He is doing fine.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#26 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

This is entirely subjective and you do not know if this would have happened or not. You are only using this to try to justify your preference of the other goalie.

Not really. If you go based on the stats of both goalies this season then every shot on goal against the Wings, Howard has a better chance of saving then Osgood. Based on this the shot Howard kicks out as a rebound had a better chance of going straight in against Osgood.

#27 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

Not really. If you go based on the stats of both goalies this season then every shot on goal against the Wings, Howard has a better chance of saving then Osgood. Based on this the shot Howard kicks out as a rebound had a better chance of going straight in against Osgood.

Yes really. Howard may have better stats, but you do not know if Osgood would have let in a goal or not, because he didn't play. So you cannot say such and such would've happened because he did not play.

#28 interminded

interminded

Shiny Happy People

• HoF Booster
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

I don't think Kimmy played that good / confident since the OG.
Why not give Chris Osgood a game ?

And why do some people keep talking about " a risk " when it comes to Ozzie.
The man is able of winning some games, have we forgotten that ?
And please stop talking about his form or achievements, because his last full game was somewhere in december.

Whatever the outcome of this season is, Babcock has handled this poorly.

I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.

#29 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

I don't think Kimmy played that good / confident since the OG.
Why not give Chris Osgood a game ?

And why do some people keep talking about " a risk " when it comes to Ozzie.
The man is able of winning some games, have we forgotten that ?
And please stop talking about his form or achievements, because his last full game was somewhere in december.

Whatever the outcome of this season is, Babcock has handled this poorly.

This team is in need for points as much as possible and as quickly as possible.

It's natural that Osgood will probably see a game/two by default in just the way of an NHL season goes, but this team needs wins and points now, and Howard has proven more this season so far, whether it is fair or not on Osgood, that he is capable of winning more, now.

#30 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

I thought maybe we might try to pickup a cheap insurance policy at the deadline like Roloson, but it didn't happen. So you got to go with the only option we have, and that's Howard. He hasn't been playing as well as he was before the break but he's still a far better option that the human 5 hole highlight film.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#31 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

I thought maybe we might try to pickup a cheap insurance policy at the deadline like Roloson, but it didn't happen. So you got to go with the only option we have, and that's Howard. He hasn't been playing as well as he was before the break but he's still a far better option that the human 5 hole highlight film.

Obviously considering the "human 5 hole" hasn't played consistently since 2009. He is as cold as an ice cream sandwich right now.

Posted Image

#32 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

You do realize Howard is 8th in GAA and 5th in SV% right?

Not to mention he is winning games.

One bad game happens, he's the future and he's playing well. There is no reason to change things up.

One bad game?

Here's Howard's numbers over his past ten games.
575:38 Mins, 291 SA, 264 Sv, 30.3 SAPG, 27 GA, 2.81 GAA, .907 sv%

That doesn't really come close to the top of the league, does it? Granted, Howard did have the Olympic break in the middle of that stretch, but his performance was only slightly affected by the break.

Now, let's compare to Osgood's last ten games, which include two relief appearances, and no appearances within seven games of each other since the games of November 23rd and November 27th. The earliest game included is November 20th, for those of you who were wondering.

Osgood's numbers over his past ten:
537:56 Mins, 229 SA, 200 Sv, 25.5 SAPG, 29 GA, 3.23 GAA, .873 sv%

Yes, Ozzie's numbers have been worse; but given the lack of consistent playing time and the fact that the Wings have been playing FAR better recently than they from November through January...Howard's numbers don't really look so good.

Either Howard needs to step it up, or Ozzie needs to get more of a look. Give the guy some consistent playing time and see what he puts on the ice.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#33 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:25 AM

If we just break down the four games since the Olympic break, I don't think he's been awful or anything close. The Stewart goal in Colorado was bad, but it was just one softy; when you give up only two goals you give your team a good chance to win and they did. Vancouver was a disaster but that was one of those games where nothing hit the goalie -- pucks were flying in through screens and everything, it happens. Nothing to complain about from Nashville. Yesterday's game he was shaky and got scored on a lot, but the Hawks are no pushovers; the Wings really sat back and let the Hawks take it to them at the end, and the Wings wouldn't be the only team hanging on for dear life in that situation.

He kicks out rebounds from everywhere and he's a bit inconsistent, but he's only a rookie after all. He's given the Wings a chance to win basically every night, and although I love Oz, I don't think if he were the guy starting every game the Wings would be in any better position than they are now.

Howard has let in a lot of "it was just one softie, nothing to worry about" goals this season. People seem not to have noticed this. Yes, he's outplayed Osgood, but he's not nearly the brick wall or perfect tender the Howard slappies have been acting like.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#34 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

Whats his record in his past 10 games?

Eva you have a habit of breaking numbers down to fit your argument.

Howard's stats might not be very good for the last 10 games, but he only cost us one game.

Hell I could go and find 10 game segments of any hall of fame goaltender and make them look pedestrian too.

Why can't people be happy that we have a young goaltender that is winning games and happens to have top 10 stats?

#35 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:31 AM

Why can't people be happy that we have a young goaltender that is winning games and happens to have top 10 stats?

:clap: