• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Team you prefer to play

Rate this topic

Let's say we finish in #6-#8 range at the end of the year.

Who would you rather want to face... San Jose, Chicago or Vancouver?

This might be surprising but I would actually say San Jose. Don't know if its just me. I don't want to have anything to do with Chicago & Luongo as well in the 1st round.

This is a really tough call... any of the big three we might meet (SJ, Chicago or Vancouver) is capable of knocking the Wings out, but all are inexperienced at winning in the playoffs. I don't want to pick my poison but SJ is as likely to fail as anyone else (based on their previous play).

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Let's say we finish in #6-#8 range at the end of the year.

Who would you rather want to face... San Jose, Chicago or Vancouver?

This might be surprising but I would actually say San Jose. Don't know if its just me. I don't want to have anything to do with Chicago & Luongo as well in the 1st round.

All teams are capable of knocking out the Wing's and Vice Versa, but I gurantee you the Sharks fear us the most. We dominated the season series, and I'm sure the second we go up in game 1 some of the players will start to think "ahh s*** not this again".

Secondly would be Vancouver, as I could see them underestimating us, though on paper they are the worst team of the 3 by far.

Chicago would give us the respect we deserve and play us tough and agressive for payback from yesterday, but I still think the Wing's symbol intimidates them.

I would not be surpised in the least if we would beat any.

I've been thinking about this for a while... I would want to play San Jose.

Think about it... The Sharks will have an unbelievable amount of pressure on them given their past playoff failure, the new acquisitions specifically the big Dany Heatley move, and of course the usual top of the standings status. If they then have to face off against Detroit, the veteran team who knows how to win and has enjoyed the most playoff success of the last 3 years and who the Sharks have only beaten once this season in a shootout, I can imagine a major mental disadvantage even before the first puck drops. The Wings will have virtually no pressure on them at all and I and the team management won't be upset if they lose. The Sharks on the other hand...

I've been thinking about this for a while... I would want to play San Jose.

Think about it... The Sharks will have an unbelievable amount of pressure on them given their past playoff failure, the new acquisitions specifically the big Dany Heatley move, and of course the usual top of the standings status. If they then have to face off against Detroit, the veteran team who knows how to win and has enjoyed the most playoff success of the last 3 years and who the Sharks have only beaten once this season in a shootout, I can imagine a major mental disadvantage even before the first puck drops. The Wings will have virtually no pressure on them at all and I and the team management won't be upset if they lose. The Sharks on the other hand...

No.

If you play the Sharks and beat them you are likely to face the Hawks in the next round. The Wings do not want to play the 1 and 2 teams respectively in the playoffs.

If they play the Hawks in the first round it is possible the Sharks will knock themselves out and the Wings won't have to worry about playing against them next round. If the Sharks do win, then they are more likely to lose in the second anyway.

I would rather play Chicago or San Jose, with a strong lean towards San Jose. I feel that Vancouver's style of play could really be a thorn in our side and may take some time to scheme against in a series were time is of the essence. With Chicago I think its a coin-toss but as you saw yesterday the energy in that series would likely wear our skaters out for a potential 2nd round were we to make it. I agree with the sentiments here that San Jose is very vulnerable both in terms of matchups and the mental aspects against the Wings.

I could easily see our boys bringing some swagger into that contest from previous wins with banged up, Mule-less teams and taking that one 4-2.

Don't care as long as we make the playoffs. Remember kiddies, we were all really excited to face Edmonton in 2005.

2006. Also that team was first getting used to Mike "Can't hold a lead" Babcock and starting Manny "What's a playoff?" Legace.

Don't care as long as we make the playoffs. Remember kiddies, we were all really excited to face Edmonton in 2005.

Who was excited to play the Oilers in 2006? They played the Wings very well that year and no number one seed wants to play a team that has surged to get into the playoffs (like the Oilers did in 2006).

In this order:

1. San Jose - They have yet to prove anything in the playoffs and have perennial choke artists in Marleau and Thornton. Plus Nabakov has never really proven to be a big game goaltender either with his latest display being the Canada/Russia Olympic game.

2. Chicago - So far this season the Wings have a decent record against the Hawks and have played them closely. We all know about the Hawks goaltending situation. Personally I would fear the Hawks offense more than the Sharks and I think they have more to prove against the Wings as we beat them in the WCF last year.

3. Vancouver - Luongo. Simple as that. Everyone knows that a goaltender can steal a series. That fact should be even more present in all of our minds this season seeing as the Wings offense has had its fair share of struggles this year. Of these three teams Luongo is by far the strongest goaltender could give the Wings the hardest time.

What would be more interesting to see, in my opinion, is COlorado overtaking Vancouver for the division and the Wings sneaking over Vancouver for 6th in the conference and setting up a Colorado/Detroit first round series. Not only woudl it revisit the old rivalry but I personally think these two teams match up pretty well and it would be an entertaining series to watch. It's possible...but unlikely.

Hawks for several reasons.

1) Short plane rides, good start times for games. If we get the sharks, travel will be a killer.

2) Huet is the weak link. Probably the biggest weak link of all top 4 teams in the standings overall.

3) If we beat the Hawks in the first round, we'll have beat the 3rd best team (in points) an probably the most exciting team in the NHL right now. That's a big confidence booster for our boys.

4) If we lose in the first round, I'd rather lose to the Hawks than put up with "Sharks finally climb out of the first round on Detroit's back" nonsense that will play endlessly. We already have to put up with giving Crosby the cup, I don't want to put up with the Sharks either. Let Calgary be the Sharks patsy.

Sharks.

We own them, and besides if we lose, they don't have as many annoying fans as Chicago and Vancouver that would never let us hear the end of it.

The kind of trolling we would see from opposing fans would be astronomical.

Hawks for several reasons.

1) Short plane rides, good start times for games. If we get the sharks, travel will be a killer.

2) Huet is the weak link. Probably the biggest weak link of all top 4 teams in the standings overall.

3) If we beat the Hawks in the first round, we'll have beat the 3rd best team (in points) an probably the most exciting team in the NHL right now. That's a big confidence booster for our boys.

4) If we lose in the first round, I'd rather lose to the Hawks than put up with "Sharks finally climb out of the first round on Detroit's back" nonsense that will play endlessly. We already have to put up with giving Crosby the cup, I don't want to put up with the Sharks either. Let Calgary be the Sharks patsy.

The travel issue is a very good point to make and I think the Wings proved that Huet can be exposed. If the Wings continue to pull things together down the stretch, and we're seemingly on the right path right now, it would set the stage for a nice rematch of last year's WCF.

The only problem is I really think the Hawks are the deepest and most well rounded team in the West. They have four lines they can roll and they can all chip in goals. I think a lot of it would depend on how our goaltending holds up. If Howard (or Osgood for that matter) plays like he has most of the season and provides a solid back end then we could end up doing well but if his rebound control falters and the Hawks score goals to get themselves back in games like they did on Sunday we could be in trouble. In a series against a deep team like the Hawks we couldn't afford to blow a game like we almost did on Sunday.