49 replies to this topic

#21 Chris L

Chris L

Wings fan in Chicago

• PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hawks for several reasons.

1) Short plane rides, good start times for games. If we get the sharks, travel will be a killer.

2) Huet is the weak link. Probably the biggest weak link of all top 4 teams in the standings overall.

3) If we beat the Hawks in the first round, we'll have beat the 3rd best team (in points) an probably the most exciting team in the NHL right now. That's a big confidence booster for our boys.

4) If we lose in the first round, I'd rather lose to the Hawks than put up with "Sharks finally climb out of the first round on Detroit's back" nonsense that will play endlessly. We already have to put up with giving Crosby the cup, I don't want to put up with the Sharks either. Let Calgary be the Sharks patsy.

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

Sharks.

We own them, and besides if we lose, they don't have as many annoying fans as Chicago and Vancouver that would never let us hear the end of it.

The kind of trolling we would see from opposing fans would be astronomical.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

I may be eating my hat for saying this, but I gotta say the Chicago Blackhawks.

Their netminding is suspect to say the least, and as a native Cheesehead those FIBS deserve another good beatdown :flamingmad:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#24 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

Hawks for several reasons.

1) Short plane rides, good start times for games. If we get the sharks, travel will be a killer.

2) Huet is the weak link. Probably the biggest weak link of all top 4 teams in the standings overall.

3) If we beat the Hawks in the first round, we'll have beat the 3rd best team (in points) an probably the most exciting team in the NHL right now. That's a big confidence booster for our boys.

4) If we lose in the first round, I'd rather lose to the Hawks than put up with "Sharks finally climb out of the first round on Detroit's back" nonsense that will play endlessly. We already have to put up with giving Crosby the cup, I don't want to put up with the Sharks either. Let Calgary be the Sharks patsy.

The travel issue is a very good point to make and I think the Wings proved that Huet can be exposed. If the Wings continue to pull things together down the stretch, and we're seemingly on the right path right now, it would set the stage for a nice rematch of last year's WCF.

The only problem is I really think the Hawks are the deepest and most well rounded team in the West. They have four lines they can roll and they can all chip in goals. I think a lot of it would depend on how our goaltending holds up. If Howard (or Osgood for that matter) plays like he has most of the season and provides a solid back end then we could end up doing well but if his rebound control falters and the Hawks score goals to get themselves back in games like they did on Sunday we could be in trouble. In a series against a deep team like the Hawks we couldn't afford to blow a game like we almost did on Sunday.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#25 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

I would like Sharks, the most.
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#26 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

These guys:

Posted Image

#27 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

i would rather the Wings get swept by the sharks than lose to Chicago. All those bandwagon fans would cream their pants and never let you hear the end of it.

#28 Paolino99

Paolino99

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Don't care about it! We are Detroit!
SJ,Chicago,Vancouver bla bla bla...please ask to Sharks,Hawks & Canucks fans if they want to play against Red Wings in the playoffs!
Every team who meet Detroit during the playoffs will be scared..i'm sure about it
Posted Image

#29 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

But if we lose to the Hawks it will be all about how "the torch has been passed" and how they are the new Wings, Keith is the new Lidstrom and so on.

Although I guess there's no scenario in which a playoff exit doesn't hurt.

#30 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

I'd like this team to just make the friggen playoffs first. Then can start getting finicky about who to play.

Edited by Shoreline, 08 March 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#31 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

With the Wings just getting healthy, we need time to get our chemistry together and win while making the playoffs... The last 2-3 games I see as the beginning of a new, but very short season.

With that being said, Wings need to get 4th or 5th place. Them playing Chicago, San Jose, or Vancouver will not result in a good 1st round. Yes, they are able to advance 2nd round, but by then, they may hit the wall.

Edited by Rivalred, 08 March 2010 - 03:07 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#32 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

These guys:

Posted Image

I don't know. They have proven they can beat the best the world has to offer. At the Peewee level of course. lol
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#33 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

How 'bout we make the playoffs first. After that I don't care.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#34 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

I'm not too worried about who we play right away because eventually we're gonna have to face the best anyway. If the Red Wings get this figured out, they can beat anyone. If they remain inconsistent, we won't see the second round.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#35 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

Sharks.

We own them, and besides if we lose, they don't have as many annoying fans as Chicago and Vancouver that would never let us hear the end of it.

The kind of trolling we would see from opposing fans would be astronomical.

s***, I finally agree with something you've posted. The world is ending. :(

#36 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

Don't really care. I just want them to make it.

#37 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

The best part is: if the Wings beat one of them, they probably get to see two of them. Or even all three by the time the WC final comes.

The team I would choose wears teal and used to play in the Cow Palace.

#38 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

s***, I finally agree with something you've posted. The world is ending. :(

:unsure:

And you are who again?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#39 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

As long as Detroit makes the playoffs I think a lot of people will be surprised. I'd prefer San Jose just because their top players aren't exactly big game players - take the Olympics as a recent example.

#40 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

:unsure:

And you are who again?

Haha. Owned.