• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

This topic is shocking to me. Can't believe people on this board are picking Lebda over Erickson. That said, I'll admit I haven't been able to watch much Wings hockey on TV this year, so the only image I have of Erickson is from last year, when I was fairly impressed. Is he pushing too much on Offense, is his positioning off, just can't visualize how he could be worse then Lebda!

#22 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

Good news on Bert, but why Ericsson back for Lebda? He's been good.

Good God, I can't believe I just said that.

But it's true and you're right. I've had the same reaction the last few games. This is NOT the time to bring Ericsson back. But it's great news about Big Bert. Now, if he, Cleary and Homer get their beehinds in front of any and all future goalies...and we continue to crash the net, methinks our chances look even better than ever. :D

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#23 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

When I read the title I assumed that Ericsson would be replacing Lilja!

But I guess he can replace Lebda for a game to see if he can get his game together. But I would much rather wait for Ericsson to play against the Wild as compared to the Flames.

THIS^^

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#24 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

We've only watched E play with Lebda not Lilja. Maybe with Lilja E will look just as good or better then Lebda has.

I tihnk the not allowing doche bags round the net factor is partially why E is in against the flames. And I also think he handles the physicallity of a team like Calgary better then Lebda does.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#25 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

This topic is shocking to me. Can't believe people on this board are picking Lebda over Erickson. That said, I'll admit I haven't been able to watch much Wings hockey on TV this year, so the only image I have of Erickson is from last year, when I was fairly impressed. Is he pushing too much on Offense, is his positioning off, just can't visualize how he could be worse then Lebda!

having watched most of this years games, i think the lebda over ericsson opinion is valid right now. ericsson has had a tough year for sure. as others have said it could very well just be a confidence issue. additionally, lebda has played better the last couple weeks which has his stock higher than any other time this year i think.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#26 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

im thinkin big E is in cuz hes the closest thing we have to a fighter in our lineup and the Flames are a rough team.
Wow....kinda sad our biggest fighter is big E isnt it?

#27 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

2 games with lillypad and lebda as the 3rd pair = 2 wins. Lets keep that going...this whole winning thing.

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

The Big Epocalypse is in for Lebda? Babcock are you mad?!!!!!!!!! Especially it being against the Flames. Can't he wait a little while longer til we play a s*** team?

This will work fine, I think. After all, Lebda only looks better because Lilja is there to cover up his screw ups. The same will go for Ericsson. I think he'll benefit hugely from not only coming back from a break but playing with Lilja as well. God I'm glad Lilja is back.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

Good news on Bert, but why Ericsson back for Lebda? He's been good.

Good God, I can't believe I just said that.

Lebda overplayed a puck last night and it directly lead to a goal in the first period. He wasn't great. He was good the game before that, though.

But on the other hand, Ericsson had a good game against the Canucks. He was a +1 on a night when Lids was a -3, so he definitely doesn't deserve to be s*** on for that game.

Ericsson is a big piece of this club's future on the back end. Anyone who thinks Kindl is a defensive upgrade over Ericsson is insane. Kindl's struggled to be an even +/- player in the AHL. Griffins fans constantly bemoan Kindl's turnovers and bad decisions with the puck. He was last in the entire AHL in +/- two years ago and has yet to be a + player as a pro. Compare that to Ericsson who was dominant in the AHL. There's zero reason to think Kindl won't struggle much worse than Ericsson has next year. I know Kindl looked good in his 2 game call up but Ericsson looked brilliant in the ~25 regular season and 25 playoff games he played prior to this season only to struggle with consistency in his first full season. It's all part of the difference between trying to earn a roster spot and knowing you have the job. That being said I think Kindl has the tools to be a great NHL player... he just needs to put it all together. I won't count him out based on his AHL play-- Howard had the same problem and look at him now.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#30 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

We've only watched E play with Lebda not Lilja. Maybe with Lilja E will look just as good or better then Lebda has.

I tihnk the not allowing doche bags round the net factor is partially why E is in against the flames. And I also think he handles the physicallity of a team like Calgary better then Lebda does.

Lilja-E might be just what Ericsson needs. Lebda tries to play too much of an offensive role, and it seems that is messing with E's ability to play strong D. Considering Lilja is a more pure blueline defenseman, he might be able to stabilize Ericsson.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#31 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

Love it. I know for the past 40 games or so people have been saying "most important game of the season", but this games IS important. A win is a big pull ahead to securing a spot and potentially making a push for a higher seeding. Lets Go Wings!
Posted Image

#32 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

Lilja-E might be just what Ericsson needs. Lebda tries to play too much of an offensive role, and it seems that is messing with E's ability to play strong D. Considering Lilja is a more pure blueline defenseman, he might be able to stabilize Ericsson.

A Lilja-E pairing will let Ericsson play his game. It's time to stop asking him to be a shut-down defensive defenseman. He's always been an offensive d-man who moves the puck up the ice well and likes to pinch in. Pairing him with a defensive liability who's constantly out of position (Lebda) was a recipe for disaster, especially with how E's struggled in his rookie season.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#33 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:21 AM

Lebda overplayed a puck last night and it directly lead to a goal in the first period. He wasn't great. He was good the game before that, though.

But on the other hand, Ericsson had a good game against the Canucks. He was a +1 on a night when Lids was a -3, so he definitely doesn't deserve to be s*** on for that game.

Ericsson is a big piece of this club's future on the back end. Anyone who thinks Kindl is a defensive upgrade over Ericsson is insane. Kindl's struggled to be an even +/- player in the AHL. Griffins fans constantly bemoan Kindl's turnovers and bad decisions with the puck. He was last in the entire AHL in +/- two years ago and has yet to be a + player as a pro. Compare that to Ericsson who was dominant in the AHL. There's zero reason to think Kindl won't struggle much worse than Ericsson has next year. I know Kindl looked good in his 2 game call up but Ericsson looked brilliant in the ~25 regular season and 25 playoff games he played prior to this season only to struggle with consistency in his first full season. It's all part of the difference between trying to earn a roster spot and knowing you have the job. That being said I think Kindl has the tools to be a great NHL player... he just needs to put it all together. I won't count him out based on his AHL play-- Howard had the same problem and look at him now.

If there was a prize, you should win it for this post. I'm surprised no one brought up when he overplayed the puck before you. But, as much as it pains me to say this, I think Lebda deserves to be out there tonight.

#34 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:14 AM

i agree with this. either lebda-lilja OR e-lilja is better than lebda-e IMO. you need one guy who jumps up more and one guy who generally stays back. although they're pretty different physically (small and fast vs. big and slow), ericcson and lebda are more similar to each other than either is to lilja.

whatever the pairing, we're going to need out bottom d to be good tonight.

go wings.

#35 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

i agree with this. either lebda-lilja OR e-lilja is better than lebda-e IMO. you need one guy who jumps up more and one guy who generally stays back. although they're pretty different physically (small and fast vs. big and slow), ericcson and lebda are more similar to each other than either is to lilja.

whatever the pairing, we're going to need out bottom d to be good tonight.

agreed.

Ericsson>Meech>Lebda in my mind... people seem to forget that Ericsson looked great with Lils the first game after the break... NO one looked good against Vancouver...

Lilja is the steadying force E needs and he can only benefit from playing with him... why waste time with a lesser d-man in Ledba who has peaked, when you can play a rookie who is still growing and has tons of potential and is already better?

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#36 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

Ericsson and Lilja looked fine out there tonight. Neither one of them got caught with their pants down, both cleared the zone quickly and tried to make the safe plays. I saw one rough give away from E but he recovered well and I can't fault a rookie for making a give away or two a game when they don't result in goals. Obviously I dont' want to see give aways but let's take this s*** in small steps.

So overall I'd say the Lilja-Ericsson pairing was good tonight (especially since they were the only d-men without a minus tonight).
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!