• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Leadzedder

Questions about potential next year's roster

Rate this topic

2010-2011 Roster???  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 Questions looking ahead... An easy prediction of next year's lineup is below. Would you be happy if this is what we have next year? How does this team stack up against other top teams. Top 5? Either yes or no.

Lets try to just look at the bigger picture instead of getting into the smaller details.

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) Tomas Holmstrom ($1.200m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.880m) Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) Darren Helm ($1.000m) Todd Bertuzzi ($1.750m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.800m) Kris Draper ($1.583m) Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m)

Mattias Ritola ($0.600m) Kirk Maltby ($0.500m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.500m) Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Andreas Lilja ($1.000m) Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Jimmy Howard ($0.717m) Chris Osgood ($1.417m)

ROSTER: 23; PAYROLL: $55.918m; CAP ROOM: $0.882m BONUSES: $0.000m

Where is the enforcer?

And is Bertuzzi really going to get a pay raise and earn more than Holmstrom?

Grand Rapids??? Philadelphia??? Anahiem???

And yeah probably..... Homer has 17 goals, Bert has 15. Both will be 20 goal scorers this year. Holmstrom is 37, still very effective but on his last legs, he's played and succeeded with us since ummm i don't know, say 1996. He's not looking for the best offer. He'll come back and play one more year. He'll do it under marketvalue. Bertuzzi, whether or not we like him this week, he'll get at least what he gets this year. For the record, if you can have a 20 goal scorer on your 3rd line for 1.75 million, you don't complain. Most others that fit the bill are on entry level contracts that we're drafted higher than we're used to. But if it makes it easier to concentrate, pretend the 2 numbers are switched. So, aside from not having Brad Norton instead of Ritola, do you like the team?

Edited by Leadzedder

Where is the enforcer?

Did you not notice Hudler was back?

And is Bertuzzi really going to get a pay raise and earn more than Holmstrom?

Bertuzzi is still making $1.3m from his Anaheim buyout remember -- that is the only reason he signed for as little as $1.5m. I dunno, maybe he will sign for that low again (with no supplementary income from Anaheim next year) but I would not be shocked if he demanded as much as $3m, in which case he would obviously not be a Red Wing.

So much depends on what our veterans decide to do/demand in salary. I don't think Bert would demand 3million. He has bounced around for the past 7 years or so and has recently stated that he would love to finish his career in Detroit. He is valuable as a 20 goal scorer and a veteran presence, however this is barely offset by his downside. He takes too many stupid penalties and is losing his touch offensively. I think one or two years at 1.3-1.5 would be reasonable. Same for Homer.

As a whole that roster isn't terrible. The Hudler piece is still a big IF. Also, the majority of our players have shown themselves to be injury-prone, so while that roster may look decent now, if a few players go down it looks a lot more sparse. If we could afford it I would like to make an offer for some kind of goal-scoring forward.

Yea, same with Lidstrom at $4.5m.

In this scenario, I have the cap staying even. I have the max amount of players at 23. I have almost 900k in capspace. The cap will more than likely go up (albeit, not alot). We don't have to carry 23, so you can drop another .5-1 mil. And we don't need to carry extra capspace....... SO..... don't worry too much about the small details. That roster will fit under the cap. If you don't believe me, just play along for fun.

But yes, i might be off a couple hundred grand here or there.

In this scenario, I have the cap staying even. I have the max amount of players at 23. I have almost 900k in capspace. The cap will more than likely go up (albeit, not alot). We don't have to carry 23, so you can drop another .5-1 mil. And we don't need to carry extra capspace....... SO..... don't worry too much about the small details. That roster will fit under the cap. If you don't believe me, just play along for fun.

But yes, i might be off a couple hundred grand here or there.

I'd be ok without Bertuzzi next year, especially if Hudler's back.

I actually think big Nick will take a big pay cut, say he has 1-3 years left in him he has a shiiit load of money already, he has said before he doesn't play for the money but for the love of the game. So with that in mind if say Holland asked him do you want your 7.5mill for the next 3 years or would you be willing to sign in the 3-4mill range and contend for the cup the next 3 years knowing the wings could use that extra money and go sign another scorer/goalie. I think he would do that for himself and the team.

Yes I'd be happy with that roster and yes I think we could potentially be a top 5 team, but I'm not satisfied with our goaltending situation. It's naive to assume that Howard can maintain this pace forever. We've got a temporary solution to our goalie problem, but if Howard goes into a slump we've got a serious problem on our hands. Osgood has become completely unreliable and looks rattled, sloppy and incapable of properly making the initial save, if he makes it at all.

Yeah, besides a change or two it's pretty much what I see happening.

And I do feel it would be a top 5 team, barring injuries of course.

I agree.

And nice sig by the way! :thumbup:

Guest Crymson

Touche!

Bertuzzi is still making $1.3m from his Anaheim buyout remember -- that is the only reason he signed for as little as $1.5m. I dunno, maybe he will sign for that low again (with no supplementary income from Anaheim next year) but I would not be shocked if he demanded as much as $3m, in which case he would obviously not be a Red Wing.

In interviews, he has indicated that he'd be willing to take a reasonable salary in order to remain with the team next season.

Yes I'd be happy with that roster and yes I think we could potentially be a top 5 team, but I'm not satisfied with our goaltending situation. It's naive to assume that Howard can maintain this pace forever. We've got a temporary solution to our goalie problem, but if Howard goes into a slump we've got a serious problem on our hands. Osgood has become completely unreliable and looks rattled, sloppy and incapable of properly making the initial save, if he makes it at all.

News: ANY team is in trouble if their goaltender goes into a slump. Fortunately it doesn't happen extremely often, but in any event it's not a possibility that can be eliminated.

Also, I don't understand why you're acting so sure that Howard won't be able to maintain his pace. Maintaining pace is what all successful goaltenders do.

Edited by Crymson

Guest mindfly

Touche!

In interviews, he has indicated that he'd be willing to take a reasonable salary in order to remain with the team next season.

Marian Hossa also said exactly the same....

I guess I would be okay with that roster.

But DHE needs to be our 4th line. Abdelkader is a better fit on the 3rd.

And I would be surprised if Maltby, Lidstrom and Holmstrom all come back. Lids at 4.5 is optimistic. I'm thinking maybe 1 year at 5-6 mil, IF he decides to continue. Or maybe I'm pessimistic.

We need to add Andrew Ladd & Willie Mitchell and that is what will make this team better next year. IF we re-sign ANY of the old timers, it needs to be for $500,000 or they can leave. The exception be Lidstrom, but he does need to sign for LESS than $4,000,000. If he wants to play one more season, he knows, he cannot handcuff the Wings from getting a couple of players to make this team better. Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Maltby, Eaves, etc all making $500,000 and LIdstrom making $3M would allow that. I say bye bye, Lilja, Maltby, Williams, Meech AND Lebda... The guys who should get the raises are Helm & Miller. Abdelkader will get a slight raise, but nothing of significance.

Bertuzzi ($500,000)

Holmstrom ($500,000)

Eaves ($500,000)

Helm ($750,000)

Miller ($650,000)

Abdelkder ($950,000)

Lidstrom ($3,000,000)

Thats $6,850,000 in salary and that would leave Holland just over $10,000,000 to improve this team. (Ladd & Mitchell would be a GREAT start!)

Although I know Bertuzzi is not going to accept $500,000, but if he doesn't want to build a winner here, then adios!

We need to add Andrew Ladd & Willie Mitchell and that is what will make this team better next year. IF we re-sign ANY of the old timers, it needs to be for $500,000 or they can leave. The exception be Lidstrom, but he does need to sign for LESS than $4,000,000. If he wants to play one more season, he knows, he cannot handcuff the Wings from getting a couple of players to make this team better. Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Maltby, Eaves, etc all making $500,000 and LIdstrom making $3M would allow that. I say bye bye, Lilja, Maltby, Williams, Meech AND Lebda... The guys who should get the raises are Helm & Miller. Abdelkader will get a slight raise, but nothing of significance.

Bertuzzi ($500,000)

Holmstrom ($500,000)

Eaves ($500,000)

Helm ($750,000)

Miller ($650,000)

Abdelkder ($950,000)

Lidstrom ($3,000,000)

Thats $6,850,000 in salary and that would leave Holland just over $10,000,000 to improve this team. (Ladd & Mitchell would be a GREAT start!)

Although I know Bertuzzi is not going to accept $500,000, but if he doesn't want to build a winner here, then adios!

wow, you must have still been asleep and dreaming when you came up with this scenario.

I think the only guy that deserves a raise is Helm to be honest, he has pretty much been our most consistant player for the last 2 seasons, i just wish Datsyuk would work with him, with his speed and some better hands i could only imagine the points he could put up. Miller and Maltby can both go i would rather let Abby get the time and chance to play full time Bertuzzi and Williams could both walk 3mill between the two of them. There are alot of good UFA/RFA coming up this off-season

I think the only guy that deserves a raise is Helm to be honest, he has pretty much been our most consistant player for the last 2 seasons, i just wish Datsyuk would work with him, with his speed and some better hands i could only imagine the points he could put up. Miller and Maltby can both go i would rather let Abby get the time and chance to play full time Bertuzzi and Williams could both walk 3mill between the two of them. There are alot of good UFA/RFA coming up this off-season

I agree.....in fact I think that he is worth more than 1 million considering what some of the other doggers get. He can lift the team & change the course of a game in a second with his speed & work ethic.He is not a natural goal scorer, but I would like to see him get just a little time on the PP to play with the big boys (other than Hudler he hasn't played with any real quality players). He is only going to improve & already seems to be the go to guy on the PK.

Edit: Re-read your post and I agree with you. It'd be great if Bertuzzi actually took a lesser salary (along with Lidstrom) in the hopes of building a winner in the summer.

Edited by RedWingAbner

Bertuzzi ($500,000)

Holmstrom ($500,000)

Eaves ($500,000)

Helm ($750,000)

Miller ($650,000)

Abdelkder ($950,000)

Lidstrom ($3,000,000)

i definately agree that the wings should try and add guys like ladd and mitchell, but the salaries you are projecting for the others are unrealistic. abby isn't going to make almost twice as much as bert and homer. eaves will probably sign for around the same as this year for another year. and all of us at LGW hope like hell that lids does the same thing yzerman did and play for peanuts to get some good players in to prepare the team to lose him. if lids plays super cheap, then holland may be able to lure in a couple good guys to round out the line-up. lids is a class act and may take a pay cut for one last really good chance at a cup, or perhaps a thank you to the wings organization and fans....here's hoping.