No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

3/9 GDT: Flames 4 at Red Wings 2

Rate this topic

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Sammy just got a hat trick.

Nicee

Could this night have gone any worse?

In short, no. All the teams that needed to lose won and the Wings lost.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

I'm not saying Howard's been great since the Olympic break or that it wouldn't be a horrible idea to give Osgood a start, but goaltending isn't going to make or break this team that doesn't seem to know how to play hard every night. I'm not angry, maybe because I don't expect much out of the team at this point, but this was a must-win game and they could have won. What else is there to say?

Wings Remaining Schedule

Mar 11 Minnesota Wild 7:30 PM

Mar 13 Buffalo Sabres 7:00 PM

Mar 15 @ Calgary Flames 9:30 PM

Mar 19 @ Edmonton Oilers 9:00 PM

Mar 20 @ Vancouver Canucks 10:00 PM

Mar 22 Pittsburgh Penguins 7:00 PM

Mar 24 St. Louis Blues 7:30 PM

Mar 26 Minnesota Wild 7:30 PM

Mar 27 @ Nashville Predators 8:00 PM

Mar 30 Edmonton Oilers 7:30 PM

Apr 1 Columbus Blue Jackets 7:30 PM

Apr 3 Nashville Predators 2:00 PM

Apr 4 @ Philadelphia Flyers 12:30 PM

Apr 7 Columbus Blue Jackets 7:30 PM

Apr 9 @ Columbus Blue Jackets 7:00 PM

Apr 11 @ Chicago Blackhawks 3:00 PM

Calgary's Remaining

Mar 11 Ottawa Senators 9:30 PM

Mar 14 @ Vancouver Canucks 10:00 PM

Mar 15 Detroit Red Wings 9:30 PM

Mar 17 @ Colorado Avalanche 9:00 PM

Mar 19 San Jose Sharks 9:00 PM

Mar 21 @ Minnesota Wild 3:00 PM

Mar 23 Anaheim Ducks 9:00 PM

Mar 25 @ New York Islanders 7:00 PM

Mar 27 @ Boston Bruins 1:00 PM

Mar 28 @ Washington Capitals 3:00 PM

Mar 31 Phoenix Coyotes 9:30 PM

Apr 2 @ Colorado Avalanche 9:30 PM

Apr 4 @ Chicago Blackhawks 3:00 PM

Apr 6 San Jose Sharks 9:30 PM

Apr 8 Minnesota Wild 9:30 PM

Apr 10 @ Vancouver Canucks 10:00 PM

Nashville's Remaining

Mar 11 @ San Jose Sharks 10:30 PM

Mar 12 @ Anaheim Ducks 10:00 PM

Mar 14 @ Los Angeles Kings 3:00 PM

Mar 16 Philadelphia Flyers 8:00 PM

Mar 18 Minnesota Wild 8:00 PM

Mar 20 Columbus Blue Jackets 8:00 PM

Mar 21 @ St. Louis Blues 6:00 PM

Mar 23 Dallas Stars 8:00 PM

Mar 25 Phoenix Coyotes 8:00 PM

Mar 27 Detroit Red Wings 8:00 PM

Mar 29 @ Florida Panthers 7:30 PM

Mar 30 Los Angeles Kings 8:00 PM

Apr 1 St. Louis Blues 8:00 PM

Apr 3 @ Detroit Red Wings 2:00 PM

Apr 7 @ Phoenix Coyotes 10:00 PM

Apr 10 St. Louis Blues 8:00 PM

Looks like the top 3 contenders for the 8 seed. I see it right to the wire between the Wings and Nashville. Think Calgary's schedule knocks them out.

Comments?

Wings Remaining Schedule

Mar 11 Minnesota Wild 7:30 PM

Mar 13 Buffalo Sabres 7:00 PM

Mar 15 @ Calgary Flames 9:30 PM

Mar 19 @ Edmonton Oilers 9:00 PM

Mar 20 @ Vancouver Canucks 10:00 PM

Mar 22 Pittsburgh Penguins 7:00 PM

Mar 24 St. Louis Blues 7:30 PM

Mar 26 Minnesota Wild 7:30 PM

Mar 27 @ Nashville Predators 8:00 PM

Mar 30 Edmonton Oilers 7:30 PM

Apr 1 Columbus Blue Jackets 7:30 PM

Apr 3 Nashville Predators 2:00 PM

Apr 4 @ Philadelphia Flyers 12:30 PM

Apr 7 Columbus Blue Jackets 7:30 PM

Apr 9 @ Columbus Blue Jackets 7:00 PM

Apr 11 @ Chicago Blackhawks 3:00 PM

Calgary's Remaining

Mar 11 Ottawa Senators 9:30 PM

Mar 14 @ Vancouver Canucks 10:00 PM

Mar 15 Detroit Red Wings 9:30 PM

Mar 17 @ Colorado Avalanche 9:00 PM

Mar 19 San Jose Sharks 9:00 PM

Mar 21 @ Minnesota Wild 3:00 PM

Mar 23 Anaheim Ducks 9:00 PM

Mar 25 @ New York Islanders 7:00 PM

Mar 27 @ Boston Bruins 1:00 PM

Mar 28 @ Washington Capitals 3:00 PM

Mar 31 Phoenix Coyotes 9:30 PM

Apr 2 @ Colorado Avalanche 9:30 PM

Apr 4 @ Chicago Blackhawks 3:00 PM

Apr 6 San Jose Sharks 9:30 PM

Apr 8 Minnesota Wild 9:30 PM

Apr 10 @ Vancouver Canucks 10:00 PM

Nashville's Remaining

Mar 11 @ San Jose Sharks 10:30 PM

Mar 12 @ Anaheim Ducks 10:00 PM

Mar 14 @ Los Angeles Kings 3:00 PM

Mar 16 Philadelphia Flyers 8:00 PM

Mar 18 Minnesota Wild 8:00 PM

Mar 20 Columbus Blue Jackets 8:00 PM

Mar 21 @ St. Louis Blues 6:00 PM

Mar 23 Dallas Stars 8:00 PM

Mar 25 Phoenix Coyotes 8:00 PM

Mar 27 Detroit Red Wings 8:00 PM

Mar 29 @ Florida Panthers 7:30 PM

Mar 30 Los Angeles Kings 8:00 PM

Apr 1 St. Louis Blues 8:00 PM

Apr 3 @ Detroit Red Wings 2:00 PM

Apr 7 @ Phoenix Coyotes 10:00 PM

Apr 10 St. Louis Blues 8:00 PM

Looks like the top 3 contenders for the 8 seed. I see it right to the wire between the Wings and Nashville. Think Calgary's schedule knocks them out.

Comments?

yeah the flames look like they have a tough one, but you have to account for the continued heartless play of the wings

There is this goaltender, I believe his name is Chris Osgood. Maybe just MAYBE the Wings should try starting him the next game. He sure as hell would be fired up. And I beg you all please don't tell me we can't risk putting him in. He's a freaking veteran he knows what he's doing and I truly believe that a change in goal could give the Wings a boost. No that is not a knock on Howie, and it's not all his fault we lost tonight but when you have a goalie like Ozzie riding the bench 28 out of the last THIRTY games it's quite pathetic. Play him.

Agreed completely.

Sadly, Babcock went about it all wrong and it's almost too late to even get Ozzie into a groove since he hasn't played in far too long. I was worried about this happening -- Howard hits the wall, his play drops off and Babcock left the team no other option but to keep on starting Jimmy.

Ozzie deserves a shot.

yeah the flames look like they have a tough one, but you have to account for the continued heartless play of the wings

Has anyone thought of the possibility that maybe this team just isn't that good this year? It is what it is. They haven't made up for the goals that they lost to free agency. Most if not all the prominent pieces from the past have shown a decline in production. The young guys haven't developed as quickly as predicted. Aww, you're right...........it has to be lack of heart.

Has anyone thought of the possibility that maybe this team just isn't that good this year? It is what it is. They haven't made up for the goals that they lost to free agency. Most if not all the prominent pieces from the past have shown a decline in production. The young guys haven't developed as quickly as predicted. Aww, you're right...........it has to be lack of heart.

ok fine they lack heart or just flat out suck, either way it's very disappointing and holland/babcock calling both there jobs in this season is pathetic.

Edited by ben_usmc

No doubt!! Such a bad season after back to back cup appearances is unforgivable.

Well either tank completely and go for a low pick, or actually try to improve the team for a play off run. Don't just do nothing at let us sit as a fringe team, how does that benefit us in anyway?

I missed the game unfortunately. Can someone tell me how it went. From the sound of it, "Lazy and Sucks" seems to be the slogan. It is funny we lose one game and are back in 9th. :huh:

Similar to the Chicago game:

Mediocre 1st

Solid 2nd (not quite on the Chicago level)

Awful 3rd

The awful 3rd period is a very recurring issue on this team.

Well either tank completely and go for a low pick, or actually try to improve the team for a play off run. Don't just do nothing at let us sit as a fringe team, how does that benefit us in anyway?

I'm not worried. They've won 3 of 5 since the break. Just imagine how they'll do when they "actually try to improve the team for a play off run"? What's the significance of the usmc in your name? Are you a marine?

Similar to the Chicago game:

Mediocre 1st

Solid 2nd (not quite on the Chicago level)

Awful 3rd

The awful 3rd period is a very recurring issue on this team.

It is a shame too. The Wings all know they need these points badly and yet they do not show up to play for the third period.

I'm not worried. They've won 3 of 5 since the break. Just imagine how they'll do when they "actually try to improve the team for a play off run"? What's the significance of the usmc in your name? Are you a marine?

Well you see that's why I say lacks heart because talent wise I feel they could be a 6th seed, and a dark horse in the playoffs. But they just seem to show glimpses then fall back and show no emotion from it. Yes I was a marine from 2001-2005.

I saw the Wings trying out there. I never really thought they lacked heart, especially Datsyuk out there. No one stuck out as playing terribly, but Howard's lack of rebound control is killing us.

The cynic in me wants to point out that this Wings team can't go on a three game win streak, so we shouldn't have gotten excited about tonight's game. Also, it's been the trend this season that when the team really needs to, they will lose the big game and the team they need to lose will win, or when the Wings win the team they need to lose also wins.

I still think the Wings will make playoffs, but it's going to be a tight race for 8th. I think 7th is officially out of range for the Wings. It's at least a three way race between Nashville, Detroit and Calgary. Nashville appears to have a relatively easy schedule, so they lock up 7th, I think. So we need Calgary to lose and the Wings have to keep the other lower teams off their back. The situation is now not entirely in the Wings' hands and that is their fault.

But at this point Osgood needs to start. He needs to get in some sort of form, Howard's lack of rebound control is just killing us. He's done well overall this season, but all of us have seen playoff hockey before. Goalie's with bad rebound control get eaten alive.

Well you see that's why I say lacks heart because talent wise I feel they could be a 6th seed, and a dark horse in the playoffs. But they just seem to show glimpses then fall back and show no emotion from it. Yes I was a marine from 2001-2005.

I prefer to think it's lack of talent. This team has been outshot more and "out time of possessed" in more games this year than the combined Wings teams of the past decade. (Well, that might be an exaggeration, but you get the point). When you scrape away all the bulls***, they are what they are to a very large percent because of Howard. (Compare Howard's numbers with Ozzie's'09 numbers to this point in the season). They aren't that talented and ability wise, they are about where they belong........a potential 7 or 8 seed........and I'm basing that statement on actions, not potential. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

shoulda kept lebda in! both games he played we won! even if ericsson played well or not.

need to stop losing at home!

lol wut?

Ericsson was better tonight than Lebda was in either game. The difference is our team s*** the bed in the 3rd. I think you're getting Brett Lebda confused with magic.

If you honestly want the team to tank (which is the worst business philosophy you can think of) then you are no Wings fan.

And when it comes to lack of "heart": this is Babcock hockey. Ever since 06 this team has pissed away leads in the third because they have hung back into a terrible defensive game, and only because of the amazing puck possession and talent of the 07-09 teams they were able to get away with it. Now that the talent is not there, the Wings are unable to hold a lead because they aren't talented enough to keep the puck on their sticks long enough and they get sustained pressure in their own end multiple times.

It pains me to see a guy like Howard (who wasn't great but wasn't the cost of this game) possibly on the road to having a downswing of a career because the team is unable to understand what a third period lead means.

Also, it's been the trend this season that when the team really needs to, they will lose the big game and the team they need to lose will win, or when the Wings win the team they need to lose also wins.

This is what I was going to say. They've been stuck in that 8th/9th spot all year because every time they have the opportunity to pull ahead and get a big, important W, they inevitably lose. They managed to get back to 8th because Calgary lost a million games but not even that lasted forever. As a fan it's very disheartening to see your team lose in the most critical situations all season long.

Even though every possible outcome went against them tonight, their schedule is still the most favorable. They have a bunch of games against the Oil and BJs and will get a shot to repay the favor to Calgary in a few days, but it was still a huge disappointment to see them have this one slip away.