• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GONGSHOW HOCKEY

How many players from Team USA would have made Team Canada?

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

No flame.

Miller obviously would have been there over Fleury.

Parise probably would have been given a good shot at the team by Yzerman and co.

That's about all imo

I smell bacon -- no, wait, an insecure Canadian (made sure to check previous posts to confirm this). It's obvious not many US players would make it, as on paper they are relatively inferior to even the Russian team. Some might disagree and that's fine, but the US was never one of the top teams and few people expected them to get to the gold medal game, whereas all the pressure was, once again, on Canada.

This post is very much akin to the recent coinage of "Hockey belongs to Canada". Since when did it not? It's obvious hockey belongs to a country that appreciates it and has it as much engraved in their culture as Canadians do, but there's been some highly prominent insecurity about hockey in it's place in Canada. Are you guys really that afraid somebody else is going to be better or like hockey more? Within this last decade you've won more golds than in the previous handful of decades to that. Celebrate and stop trying to compare peens with a country that doesn't even like hockey as much nor have permitting weather in a huge chunk of it to promote interest.

None, as they're all US born.

Isn't there enough glow in Canada to bask in? Nevermind that the teams went 1-1 in the tournament and the second game was close enough that either team could have taken it at any second, let's talk about how inferior the US team was.

Christ.

? Thats like claiming because the Hawks beat the Wings during the regular season series, yet the Wings beat them in the playoffs, they are equal. Sure that 5-2 win by the States during the round robin was huge for you guys, it was a meaningless in the big picture. In fact that extra game was exactly what Canada needed. Then Canada won when it counted.

? Thats like claiming because the Hawks beat the Wings during the regular season series, yet the Wings beat them in the playoffs, they are equal. Sure that 5-2 win by the States during the round robin was huge for you guys, it was a meaningless in the big picture. In fact that extra game was exactly what Canada needed. Then Canada won when it counted.

It may have been meaningless, but it embarrassed the s*** out of Canada and had them all arguing with each other. Which was hilarious! :P

esteef

Edited by esteef

Read your own sig quote.

That's pretty much what my first post was getting at. Nobody's cryin here either, anybody who claims Canada dominated that game and would have swept a 5 or 7 game series needs to put the Kool-Aid down and back away. It was anybody's game until the very end, and it would have been anybody's series. Nobody's saying Canada doesn't have a gold medal, we're wondering why that isn't enough.

Read your own sig quote.

That's pretty much what my first post was getting at. Nobody's cryin here either, anybody who claims Canada dominated that game and would have swept a 5 or 7 game series needs to put the Kool-Aid down and back away. It was anybody's game until the very end, and it would have been anybody's series. Nobody's saying Canada doesn't have a gold medal, we're wondering why that isn't enough.

I wish your fellow American's would have followed that same motto after the 5-2 drubbing.

post-7892-12681760744568_thumb.jpg

Richie says, "You're ******* out!"

Edited by zettie85

I smell bacon -- no, wait, an insecure Canadian (made sure to check previous posts to confirm this). It's obvious not many US players would make it, as on paper they are relatively inferior to even the Russian team. Some might disagree and that's fine, but the US was never one of the top teams and few people expected them to get to the gold medal game, whereas all the pressure was, once again, on Canada.

This post is very much akin to the recent coinage of "Hockey belongs to Canada". Since when did it not? It's obvious hockey belongs to a country that appreciates it and has it as much engraved in their culture as Canadians do, but there's been some highly prominent insecurity about hockey in it's place in Canada. Are you guys really that afraid somebody else is going to be better or like hockey more? Within this last decade you've won more golds than in the previous handful of decades to that. Celebrate and stop trying to compare peens with a country that doesn't even like hockey as much nor have permitting weather in a huge chunk of it to promote interest.

A Canadian agreeing with your post. I've never understood the whole, "It's our game" argument in Canada. Is it insecurity or arrogance by Canadians? I don't understand it. Personally I think Canadians should be proud a game they improved is so widely accepted and enjoyed around the world.

I say improved, because I'm sure some form of hockey came from Europe and was improved in Canada and the Northern USA. Similar to how Americans and Canadians improved Cricket into Baseball.

A Canadian agreeing with your post. I've never understood the whole, "It's our game" argument in Canada. Is it insecurity or arrogance by Canadians? I don't understand it. Personally I think Canadians should be proud a game they improved is so widely accepted and enjoyed around the world.

I say improved, because I'm sure some form of hockey came from Europe and was improved in Canada and the Northern USA. Similar to how Americans and Canadians improved Cricket into Baseball.

When you post about international hockey your post are very American leaning for being a Canadian. Maybe not American leaning but anti-Canadian.

When you post about international hockey your post are very American leaning for being a Canadian. Maybe not American leaning but anti-Canadian.

I've been a Detroit fan since the mid-80's, so I think differently than fellow Canadians when it comes to sports. Other than seeing the Saskatchewan Roughriders in Toronto and Hamilton, I don't go to Toronto for sporting events, I drive to Detroit for Red Wings and Tigers games.

I still don't understand the "It's our game" comments. My response is "So?". Canada still has to earn the victories, it's not a God given right. Personally, as a Canadian and a Hockey fan, I think it's great Hockey is so excepted world wide, and I think the rest of the country should feel the same way. Be proud, not "It's our game".

Every country that plays hockey has helped the development and greatness of the game. Plus us Detroit fans see how important Americans, Europeans, and Russians have been to the success of our organization, along with Canadians.

I still don't understand the "It's our game" comments. My response is "So?". Canada still has to earn the victories, it's not a God given right. Personally, as a Canadian and a Hockey fan, I think it's great Hockey is so excepted world wide, and I think the rest of the country should feel the same way. Be proud, not "It's our game".

Every country that plays hockey has helped the development and greatness of the game. Plus us Detroit fans see how important Americans, Europeans, and Russians have been to the success of our organization, along with Canadians.

:clap:

Read your own sig quote.

I know my sig. quote - this thread was simply asking how many of the American players would have made Team Canada. If anything, it should boost your confidence because they beat them once and took them to overtime in the gold medal game, yet 3/4's of them wouldn't have made Team Canada. You just took it the wrong way because your still bitter over the loss. Don't blame you for that, but your making more out of the post than the OP intended.

I've been a Detroit fan since the mid-80's, so I think differently than fellow Canadians when it comes to sports. Other than seeing the Saskatchewan Roughriders in Toronto and Hamilton, I don't go to Toronto for sporting events, I drive to Detroit for Red Wings and Tigers games.

You choose not to hope for Canada because you don't like some of the players. They still are representing our country. My dad has been a Wing's fan since 55 and lives in Texas yet still cheers for Canada. So I don't see your point.

It's not a god given right that's for sure but now that other countries are way better we are proud when we win. Even more so now because we don't dominate every event.

It's not like comparing football with American's but if other countries started getting really good at American football you can be damn sure American's would act the same way we do about hockey.

You choose not to hope for Canada because you don't like some of the players. They still are representing our country. My dad has been a Wing's fan since 55 and lives in Texas yet still cheers for Canada. So I don't see your point.

It's not a god given right that's for sure but now that other countries are way better we are proud when we win. Even more so now because we don't dominate every event.

It's not like comparing football with American's but if other countries started getting really good at American football you can be damn sure American's would act the same way we do about hockey.

Kinda like Americans and basketball. They dominated in '92, but everyone quickly caught up with them and they haven't really won much since.

I know my sig. quote - this thread was simply asking how many of the American players would have made Team Canada. If anything, it should boost your confidence because they beat them once and took them to overtime in the gold medal game, yet 3/4's of them wouldn't have made Team Canada. You just took it the wrong way because your still bitter over the loss. Don't blame you for that, but your making more out of the post than the OP intended.

No, I'm wondering why winning wasn't enough for Canada, and I know the answer. They didn't dominate, they didn't crush, they squeaked by in OT. I don't need a confidence boost, that gets my confidence in pretty decent order. When Canadians are asking questions like "how many US players would have even MADE our team?" over a week after the win...I suspect the confidence problem still exists north of the border.

Kinda like Americans and basketball. They dominated in '92, but everyone quickly caught up with them and they haven't really won much since.

:blink: That is if you don't count gold medals in '96 '00 and '08. Hockey means more to Canadians than basketball does to Americans. It is like if you were to combine football, baseball and basketball into one fan base.

No, I'm wondering why winning wasn't enough for Canada, and I know the answer. They didn't dominate, they didn't crush, they squeaked by in OT. I don't need a confidence boost, that gets my confidence in pretty decent order. When Canadians are asking questions like "how many US players would have even MADE our team?" over a week after the win...I suspect the confidence problem still exists north of the border.

You act like our confidence was ruined for the first time. Look, we lost the WJHC, we got Silver at the last World Championships, and 7th in the last Olympics. Canadians expect Team Canada to win, yes - and we WISH they would dominate, but we all know they wont. We have been dealt enough confidence blowing defeats over the last couple decades to realize that its crazy to expect Canada to roll over everyone, the tight 1972 Summit Series was the start of that, and that was 30 years ago.

You just sound like someone who is bitter and trying to make up for it anyway you can by saying Canadians are being bullies now. Relax, its over. Congrats on the silver medal - it was more than anyone expected, so props.

Well there was field hockey but actual ice hockey is straight up Canadian. Natives in Canada used to sharpen bones and wear them on their feet to go across lakes and rivers hunting (no joke). Those were the first skates then settlers saw this and made a game out of it.

Well there was field hockey but actual ice hockey is straight up Canadian. Natives in Canada used to sharpen bones and wear them on their feet to go across lakes and rivers hunting (no joke). Those were the first skates then settlers saw this and made a game out of it.

I can't attest to who started ice hockey but will certainly concede that Canada was singularly responsible for its modern form, however ice skating was around before the settlement of North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_skating

A study by Federico Formenti of the University of Oxford suggests that the earliest ice skating happened in Southern Finland about 4000 years ago.[1] Originally, skates were merely sharpened, flattened bone strapped to the bottom of the foot. Skaters did not actually skate on the ice, but rather glided on top of it. True skating emerged when a steel blade with sharpened edges was used. Skates now cut into the ice instead of gliding on top of it. Adding edges to ice skates was invented by the Dutch in the 13th or 14th century. These ice skates were made of steel, with sharpened edges on the bottom to aid movement. The construction of modern ice skates has stayed largely the same.

In the Netherlands, ice skating was considered proper for all classes of people to participate in, as shown in many pictures by the Old Masters. James II of England came to the Netherlands in exile, and he fell for the sport. When he went back to England, this "new" sport was introduced to the British aristocracy, and was soon enjoyed by people from all walks of life. It is said that Queen Victoria got to know her future husband, Prince Albert, better through a series of ice skating trips; meanwhile Fenland agricultural workers became masters of speed skating. However, in other places, participation in ice skating was limited to members of the upper classes. Emperor Rudolf II of the Holy Roman Empire enjoyed ice skating so much he had a large ice carnival constructed in his court in order to popularise the sport. King Louis XVI of France brought ice skating to Paris during his reign. Madame de Pompadour, Napoleon I, Napoleon III, and the House of Stuart were, among others, royal and upper class fans of ice skating.

Avercamp-ijsvermaak.png

You just sound like someone who is bitter and trying to make up for it anyway you can by saying Canadians are being bullies now. Relax, its over. Congrats on the silver medal - it was more than anyone expected, so props.

Nobody's bitter here. You can't just say I'm bitter and lo and behold I'm bitter. I can say you're a multitude of things, yet I refrain.

I'm saying be humble, because Americans (even the ones who aren't bitter) are getting tired of hearing about it.

Ego is a horrible thing to waste on those who just don't care.

Nobody's bitter here. You can't just say I'm bitter and lo and behold I'm bitter. I can say you're a multitude of things, yet I refrain.

I'm saying be humble, because Americans (even the ones who aren't bitter) are getting tired of hearing about it.

Ego is a horrible thing to waste on those who just don't care.

Fair enough, that being said - you were the one who turned this thread into something it was not.

Facts are, not many American team members would have made Team Canada. Parise, Miller, maybe Brown or Ryan. In light of that, its impressive they got to the Gold medal game against Canada, with a better record and took them to OT.

Facts are, not many American team members would have made Team Canada. Parise, Miller, maybe Brown or Ryan. In light of that, its impressive they got to the Gold medal game against Canada, with a better record and took them to OT.

"Facts" are, nobody knows who the hell would've been selected or not. This thread is everyone's opinion and nothing more. In light of that, congratulations.

esteef

Right, it was a players thing for me, not the country. Plus it's only a game and it didn't have anything to do with politics or way of life, which I'm a huge supporter of, Canadian and American.

Actually I enjoyed watching the tournament stress free, not really leaning one way or the other. It was outstanding hockey!

2009 was an enjoyable but stressful sports year for me. The Red Wings and Roughriders had leads in their finals, and both lost! I don't think I've even been so stressed out watching sports than I did watching the Grey Cup and seeing Montreal comeback... Add to that, the Tigers had a huge lead in the Central Division, but couldn't hold the Twins back, blowing an 8 game lead. That one game playoffs between the Tigers-Twins was unbearable... Michigan State lost in March Madness too...

I said all that to say again I enjoyed watching the Olympics hockey stress free. I couldn't back those players, because I never have and don't really like them. All my sports passion backs Detroit and Saskatchewan, it hit it's peak in 2009, and I needed a break. :zzz: