Photo
- - - - -

How many players from Team USA would have made Team Canada?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,848 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

Malone? You're kidding right.

I think he was referring to Karl Malone making Team Canada's basketball team.

That's the only thing I can surmise from that post.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

Malone? You're kidding right.

You're right, who would want a gritty foward who can score?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,848 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

He can't skate, though.

Canada had gritty scoring forwards who could also skate.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

lol malone

so f***in lulzy i just spit out my peach juice.

Posted Image

#25 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

None, as they're all US born.

Good one!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#26 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

No flame.

Miller obviously would have been there over Fleury.

Parise probably would have been given a good shot at the team by Yzerman and co.

That's about all imo

I smell bacon -- no, wait, an insecure Canadian (made sure to check previous posts to confirm this). It's obvious not many US players would make it, as on paper they are relatively inferior to even the Russian team. Some might disagree and that's fine, but the US was never one of the top teams and few people expected them to get to the gold medal game, whereas all the pressure was, once again, on Canada.

This post is very much akin to the recent coinage of "Hockey belongs to Canada". Since when did it not? It's obvious hockey belongs to a country that appreciates it and has it as much engraved in their culture as Canadians do, but there's been some highly prominent insecurity about hockey in it's place in Canada. Are you guys really that afraid somebody else is going to be better or like hockey more? Within this last decade you've won more golds than in the previous handful of decades to that. Celebrate and stop trying to compare peens with a country that doesn't even like hockey as much nor have permitting weather in a huge chunk of it to promote interest.

#27 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

None, as they're all US born.

Isn't there enough glow in Canada to bask in? Nevermind that the teams went 1-1 in the tournament and the second game was close enough that either team could have taken it at any second, let's talk about how inferior the US team was.

Christ.

? Thats like claiming because the Hawks beat the Wings during the regular season series, yet the Wings beat them in the playoffs, they are equal. Sure that 5-2 win by the States during the round robin was huge for you guys, it was a meaningless in the big picture. In fact that extra game was exactly what Canada needed. Then Canada won when it counted.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#28 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

? Thats like claiming because the Hawks beat the Wings during the regular season series, yet the Wings beat them in the playoffs, they are equal. Sure that 5-2 win by the States during the round robin was huge for you guys, it was a meaningless in the big picture. In fact that extra game was exactly what Canada needed. Then Canada won when it counted.

It may have been meaningless, but it embarrassed the s*** out of Canada and had them all arguing with each other. Which was hilarious! :P

esteef

Edited by esteef, 09 March 2010 - 05:55 PM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#29 Creasemonkey

Creasemonkey

Goaltender for Hire

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

Read your own sig quote.

That's pretty much what my first post was getting at. Nobody's cryin here either, anybody who claims Canada dominated that game and would have swept a 5 or 7 game series needs to put the Kool-Aid down and back away. It was anybody's game until the very end, and it would have been anybody's series. Nobody's saying Canada doesn't have a gold medal, we're wondering why that isn't enough.

#30 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

Read your own sig quote.

That's pretty much what my first post was getting at. Nobody's cryin here either, anybody who claims Canada dominated that game and would have swept a 5 or 7 game series needs to put the Kool-Aid down and back away. It was anybody's game until the very end, and it would have been anybody's series. Nobody's saying Canada doesn't have a gold medal, we're wondering why that isn't enough.

I wish your fellow American's would have followed that same motto after the 5-2 drubbing.

Attached File  Richie.jpg   67.9KB   0 downloads

Richie says, "You'ref****** out!"

Edited by zettie85, 09 March 2010 - 06:24 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#31 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

I smell bacon -- no, wait, an insecure Canadian (made sure to check previous posts to confirm this). It's obvious not many US players would make it, as on paper they are relatively inferior to even the Russian team. Some might disagree and that's fine, but the US was never one of the top teams and few people expected them to get to the gold medal game, whereas all the pressure was, once again, on Canada.

This post is very much akin to the recent coinage of "Hockey belongs to Canada". Since when did it not? It's obvious hockey belongs to a country that appreciates it and has it as much engraved in their culture as Canadians do, but there's been some highly prominent insecurity about hockey in it's place in Canada. Are you guys really that afraid somebody else is going to be better or like hockey more? Within this last decade you've won more golds than in the previous handful of decades to that. Celebrate and stop trying to compare peens with a country that doesn't even like hockey as much nor have permitting weather in a huge chunk of it to promote interest.

A Canadian agreeing with your post. I've never understood the whole, "It's our game" argument in Canada. Is it insecurity or arrogance by Canadians? I don't understand it. Personally I think Canadians should be proud a game they improved is so widely accepted and enjoyed around the world.

I say improved, because I'm sure some form of hockey came from Europe and was improved in Canada and the Northern USA. Similar to how Americans and Canadians improved Cricket into Baseball.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#32 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

A Canadian agreeing with your post. I've never understood the whole, "It's our game" argument in Canada. Is it insecurity or arrogance by Canadians? I don't understand it. Personally I think Canadians should be proud a game they improved is so widely accepted and enjoyed around the world.

I say improved, because I'm sure some form of hockey came from Europe and was improved in Canada and the Northern USA. Similar to how Americans and Canadians improved Cricket into Baseball.

When you post about international hockey your post are very American leaning for being a Canadian. Maybe not American leaning but anti-Canadian.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#33 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

Miller obviously would have been there over Fleury.

miller > Luongo

#34 hockeybill

hockeybill

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

I'd like to see the difference in NHL salary totals between Team USA and Team Canada.

Edited by hockeybill, 09 March 2010 - 07:45 PM.

#35 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

When you post about international hockey your post are very American leaning for being a Canadian. Maybe not American leaning but anti-Canadian.

I've been a Detroit fan since the mid-80's, so I think differently than fellow Canadians when it comes to sports. Other than seeing the Saskatchewan Roughriders in Toronto and Hamilton, I don't go to Toronto for sporting events, I drive to Detroit for Red Wings and Tigers games.

I still don't understand the "It's our game" comments. My response is "So?". Canada still has to earn the victories, it's not a God given right. Personally, as a Canadian and a Hockey fan, I think it's great Hockey is so excepted world wide, and I think the rest of the country should feel the same way. Be proud, not "It's our game".

Every country that plays hockey has helped the development and greatness of the game. Plus us Detroit fans see how important Americans, Europeans, and Russians have been to the success of our organization, along with Canadians.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#36 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

I still don't understand the "It's our game" comments. My response is "So?". Canada still has to earn the victories, it's not a God given right. Personally, as a Canadian and a Hockey fan, I think it's great Hockey is so excepted world wide, and I think the rest of the country should feel the same way. Be proud, not "It's our game".

Every country that plays hockey has helped the development and greatness of the game. Plus us Detroit fans see how important Americans, Europeans, and Russians have been to the success of our organization, along with Canadians.

:clap:

#37 GONGSHOW HOCKEY

GONGSHOW HOCKEY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

I'd love a guy like that on my team. That isn't Malone though. I'd be tempted to take Bert before Malone.

#38 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Read your own sig quote.

I know my sig. quote - this thread was simply asking how many of the American players would have made Team Canada. If anything, it should boost your confidence because they beat them once and took them to overtime in the gold medal game, yet 3/4's of them wouldn't have made Team Canada. You just took it the wrong way because your still bitter over the loss. Don't blame you for that, but your making more out of the post than the OP intended.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#39 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

I've been a Detroit fan since the mid-80's, so I think differently than fellow Canadians when it comes to sports. Other than seeing the Saskatchewan Roughriders in Toronto and Hamilton, I don't go to Toronto for sporting events, I drive to Detroit for Red Wings and Tigers games.

You choose not to hope for Canada because you don't like some of the players. They still are representing our country. My dad has been a Wing's fan since 55 and lives in Texas yet still cheers for Canada. So I don't see your point.

It's not a god given right that's for sure but now that other countries are way better we are proud when we win. Even more so now because we don't dominate every event.

It's not like comparing football with American's but if other countries started getting really good at American football you can be damn sure American's would act the same way we do about hockey.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#40 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

Parise, Miller, Brown for sure and as more of a longshot maybe B. Ryan or R. Suter

Edited by MotorCityMadness, 09 March 2010 - 10:22 PM.

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!