Photo
- - - - -

How many players from Team USA would have made Team Canada?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 GONGSHOW HOCKEY

GONGSHOW HOCKEY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:05 AM

You choose not to hope for Canada because you don't like some of the players. They still are representing our country. My dad has been a Wing's fan since 55 and lives in Texas yet still cheers for Canada. So I don't see your point.

It's not a god given right that's for sure but now that other countries are way better we are proud when we win. Even more so now because we don't dominate every event.

It's not like comparing football with American's but if other countries started getting really good at American football you can be damn sure American's would act the same way we do about hockey.

Kinda like Americans and basketball. They dominated in '92, but everyone quickly caught up with them and they haven't really won much since.

#42 Creasemonkey

Creasemonkey

Goaltender for Hire

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

I know my sig. quote - this thread was simply asking how many of the American players would have made Team Canada. If anything, it should boost your confidence because they beat them once and took them to overtime in the gold medal game, yet 3/4's of them wouldn't have made Team Canada. You just took it the wrong way because your still bitter over the loss. Don't blame you for that, but your making more out of the post than the OP intended.

No, I'm wondering why winning wasn't enough for Canada, and I know the answer. They didn't dominate, they didn't crush, they squeaked by in OT. I don't need a confidence boost, that gets my confidence in pretty decent order. When Canadians are asking questions like "how many US players would have even MADE our team?" over a week after the win...I suspect the confidence problem still exists north of the border.

#43 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

Kinda like Americans and basketball. They dominated in '92, but everyone quickly caught up with them and they haven't really won much since.

:blink: That is if you don't count gold medals in '96 '00 and '08. Hockey means more to Canadians than basketball does to Americans. It is like if you were to combine football, baseball and basketball into one fan base.

works every time

#44 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

No, I'm wondering why winning wasn't enough for Canada, and I know the answer. They didn't dominate, they didn't crush, they squeaked by in OT. I don't need a confidence boost, that gets my confidence in pretty decent order. When Canadians are asking questions like "how many US players would have even MADE our team?" over a week after the win...I suspect the confidence problem still exists north of the border.

You act like our confidence was ruined for the first time. Look, we lost the WJHC, we got Silver at the last World Championships, and 7th in the last Olympics. Canadians expect Team Canada to win, yes - and we WISH they would dominate, but we all know they wont. We have been dealt enough confidence blowing defeats over the last couple decades to realize that its crazy to expect Canada to roll over everyone, the tight 1972 Summit Series was the start of that, and that was 30 years ago.

You just sound like someone who is bitter and trying to make up for it anyway you can by saying Canadians are being bullies now. Relax, its over. Congrats on the silver medal - it was more than anyone expected, so props.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#45 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

A Canadian agreeing with your post. I've never understood the whole, "It's our game" argument in Canada. Is it insecurity or arrogance by Canadians? I don't understand it. Personally I think Canadians should be proud a game they improved is so widely accepted and enjoyed around the world.

I say improved, because I'm sure some form of hockey came from Europe and was improved in Canada and the Northern USA. Similar to how Americans and Canadians improved Cricket into Baseball.

Well there was field hockey but actual ice hockey is straight up Canadian. Natives in Canada used to sharpen bones and wear them on their feet to go across lakes and rivers hunting (no joke). Those were the first skates then settlers saw this and made a game out of it.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#46 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

Well there was field hockey but actual ice hockey is straight up Canadian. Natives in Canada used to sharpen bones and wear them on their feet to go across lakes and rivers hunting (no joke). Those were the first skates then settlers saw this and made a game out of it.

I can't attest to who started ice hockey but will certainly concede that Canada was singularly responsible for its modern form, however ice skating was around before the settlement of North America.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Ice_skating

A study by Federico Formenti of the University of Oxford suggests that the earliest ice skating happened in Southern Finland about 4000 years ago.[1] Originally, skates were merely sharpened, flattened bone strapped to the bottom of the foot. Skaters did not actually skate on the ice, but rather glided on top of it. True skating emerged when a steel blade with sharpened edges was used. Skates now cut into the ice instead of gliding on top of it. Adding edges to ice skates was invented by the Dutch in the 13th or 14th century. These ice skates were made of steel, with sharpened edges on the bottom to aid movement. The construction of modern ice skates has stayed largely the same.

In the Netherlands, ice skating was considered proper for all classes of people to participate in, as shown in many pictures by the Old Masters. James II of England came to the Netherlands in exile, and he fell for the sport. When he went back to England, this "new" sport was introduced to the British aristocracy, and was soon enjoyed by people from all walks of life. It is said that Queen Victoria got to know her future husband, Prince Albert, better through a series of ice skating trips; meanwhile Fenland agricultural workers became masters of speed skating. However, in other places, participation in ice skating was limited to members of the upper classes. Emperor Rudolf II of the Holy Roman Empire enjoyed ice skating so much he had a large ice carnival constructed in his court in order to popularise the sport. King Louis XVI of France brought ice skating to Paris during his reign. Madame de Pompadour, Napoleon I, Napoleon III, and the House of Stuart were, among others, royal and upper class fans of ice skating.

Posted Image

works every time

#47 Creasemonkey

Creasemonkey

Goaltender for Hire

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

You just sound like someone who is bitter and trying to make up for it anyway you can by saying Canadians are being bullies now. Relax, its over. Congrats on the silver medal - it was more than anyone expected, so props.

Nobody's bitter here. You can't just say I'm bitter and lo and behold I'm bitter. I can say you're a multitude of things, yet I refrain.

I'm saying be humble, because Americans (even the ones who aren't bitter) are getting tired of hearing about it.

Ego is a horrible thing to waste on those who just don't care.

#48 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

Nobody's bitter here. You can't just say I'm bitter and lo and behold I'm bitter. I can say you're a multitude of things, yet I refrain.

I'm saying be humble, because Americans (even the ones who aren't bitter) are getting tired of hearing about it.

Fair enough, that being said - you were the one who turned this thread into something it was not.

Facts are, not many American team members would have made Team Canada. Parise, Miller, maybe Brown or Ryan. In light of that, its impressive they got to the Gold medal game against Canada, with a better record and took them to OT.

#49 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Facts are, not many American team members would have made Team Canada. Parise, Miller, maybe Brown or Ryan. In light of that, its impressive they got to the Gold medal game against Canada, with a better record and took them to OT.

"Facts" are, nobody knows who the hell would've been selected or not. This thread is everyone's opinion and nothing more. In light of that, congratulations.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#50 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

You choose not to hope for Canada because you don't like some of the players. They still are representing our country. My dad has been a Wing's fan since 55 and lives in Texas yet still cheers for Canada. So I don't see your point.

Right, it was a players thing for me, not the country. Plus it's only a game and it didn't have anything to do with politics or way of life, which I'm a huge supporter of, Canadian and American.

Actually I enjoyed watching the tournament stress free, not really leaning one way or the other. It was outstanding hockey!

2009 was an enjoyable but stressful sports year for me. The Red Wings and Roughriders had leads in their finals, and both lost! I don't think I've even been so stressed out watching sports than I did watching the Grey Cup and seeing Montreal comeback... Add to that, the Tigers had a huge lead in the Central Division, but couldn't hold the Twins back, blowing an 8 game lead. That one game playoffs between the Tigers-Twins was unbearable... Michigan State lost in March Madness too...

I said all that to say again I enjoyed watching the Olympics hockey stress free. I couldn't back those players, because I never have and don't really like them. All my sports passion backs Detroit and Saskatchewan, it hit it's peak in 2009, and I needed a break. :zzz:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#51 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

"Facts" are, nobody knows who the hell would've been selected or not. This thread is everyone's opinion and nothing more. In light of that, congratulations.

esteef

You're right, I used 'facts' improperly. I should have said, 'odds'.
Thanks.

:thumbup:

Yzerfan1999

#52 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

Fair enough, that being said - you were the one who turned this thread into something it was not.

If Doan didn't make it Brown wouldn't have. Brown is a good player but Doan is better and pretty much the exact same style. If Stamkos didn't make it Ryan doesn't either. Miller is the only for sure that would've made it and Parise would have been borderline.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#53 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

No flame.

Miller obviously would have been there over Fleury.

Parise probably would have been given a good shot at the team by Yzerman and co.

That's about all imo

:hysterical: Thats it? Seems to me Canada lost to and then barely beat USA, so I would say the USA had a team that was just as good if not better than the Canadian team. OH Gee, you give Miller the third string? :lol: he outplayed both Luongo and Broduer throughout the tourney. God I wish these cocky ass Canadians would stop with the holier than thou attitude already! One lucky bounce between a gold and a silver. Thats it. It wasn't a totally dominate Canadian over an inferior USA team, it was one lucky bounce. Get over yourselves.... 1952...

Edited by LeftWinger, 10 March 2010 - 08:12 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#54 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

If Doan didn't make it Brown wouldn't have. Brown is a good player but Doan is better and pretty much the exact same style. If Stamkos didn't make it Ryan doesn't either. Miller is the only for sure that would've made it and Parise would have been borderline.

Valid points, but I still think Parise would have made it. That kid is lights out. He's been one of the leagues top 10 best players for the last 3 years. Brown does have guys like Morrow and Doan who are very similar players, he is just younger, but overall you're probably right.

#55 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

oh wow people are still talking about the olympics

Posted Image

#56 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:37 PM

Ok. Just to get this straight, I went in to the Canada vs. USA thread days after the US beat Canada. American's were bragging and still waving flags. I told them that they hadn't one s*** yet and if we meet you in the finals you will get it back and you won't like it. They told me to f*** off, more or less. So we ended up beating them and now just as I thought it would play out if we won, American's say we are bragging too much and they are not happy about it. I hate to say say I told them so. You may not have been one that was in that thread but it really doesn't matter.

:hysterical: Thats it? Seems to me Canada lost to and then barely beat USA, so I would say the USA had a team that was just as good if not better than the Canadian team. OH Gee, you give Miller the third string? :lol: he outplayed both Luongo and Broduer throughout the tourney. God I wish these cocky ass Canadians would stop with the holier than thou attitude already! One lucky bounce between a gold and a silver. Thats it. It wasn't a totally dominate Canadian over an inferior USA team, it was one lucky bounce. Get over yourselves.... 1952...

Yes that is it. The US played great together but individually their own talents aren't that great. Miller very well may have started for Canada if he was on our team but we aren't going to leave Fleury on the team and cut Brodeur. We would cut Fleury and have those three who ever starts would be up to the way they play. Nobody is saying Miller was the 3rd goalie. Stop being dense. It was a close game. We had some more chances then you guys did. Miller had to be great. The "bounce" you speak of was not really a bounce at all. It was winning the battle for the puck and Rafalski makeing a mistake. Nobody is trying to be cocky or brag. This thread was an opion thread on who could have made team Canada. Quit yourf****** whining.

Parise and Miller are definites.

Edited by zettie85, 11 March 2010 - 12:28 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#57 Creasemonkey

Creasemonkey

Goaltender for Hire

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

I call bulls***. The first line of the original post is "No flame." When I see that, the meaning for me is "I realize this is about to piss a lot of people off". All I did was question the relevance of the conversation in this forum, at this time, while attempting to point out it's ludicrous in the first place. All of a sudden I was bitter. Now I derailed the thread to boot. I'm going to lose a lot of sleep tonight, and it may well affect my diet.

#58 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:31 AM

:blink: That is if you don't count gold medals in '96 '00 and '08.

haha Took the words right out of my mouth. :lol: Obviously Gongshow hasn't seen much Olympic Basketball over the years.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 11 March 2010 - 12:35 AM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#59 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

haha Took the words right out of my mouth. :lol:

Nobody likes basketball anyways. Can we agree on that???
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#60 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

Nobody likes basketball anyways. Can we agree on that???

No we can't. I happen to have a strong passion for Hockey, Baseball, Football and Basketball. Always have, always will. I'm like a junkie when it comes to the 4 major pro sports. lol

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg