• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ebl96

Why is there so much love for Filppula on this board?

Rate this topic

I have been a Wings fan for as long as I can remember. However I have lived in San Diego my whole life so I rarely get to discuss the team with anyone who follows them like I do. Now don't get me wrong, I feel like Flip is an alright player, but can not understand why is has practically been crowned as the next Hank or Dats. Even though he has only played 38 games this year, his statistics are still nothing special especially considering he is supposed to be a skill/finesse player. His defense is suspect, he needs to play stronger, and his stick handling while exceptional, hardly merits the praise his overall game receives from the loyal wings fans on the site. Please inform me on something I may be missing. I don't get to watch every game but I watch an many as one can being from San Diego.

Prolly his hair.

but seriously, I don't think anyone expects him to become Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Most folks realize his potential is just about met, and for his role Filppulla is a legit player. He sees the ice well, can function as a play-maker but can also be relied on to score, and he's strong defensively.

Edited by Echolalia

Guest lilja4mvp

the fans here have a habit of overrating players.

i read that helm should get a chance to play on the first line with datsyuk.

someone actually typed that.

i wish i were joking.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Just what we need. Another thread about Filppula.

Filppula is a common subject on these boards because those that like him love him and those that don't care for him hate him. Each side will defend their love/hatred for Filppula to the death. This leads to debates that solve nothing and usually devolves into the usual suspects calling each other names.

Filppula is the new Ozzie.

the fans here have a habit of overrating players.

i read that helm should get a chance to play on the first line with datsyuk.

someone actually typed that.

i wish i were joking.

This is about Flip, but I'll get to him in a minute. Helm has been one of our best players all year. He has played his role perfectly for such a young guy. If the Helm-Draper-Eaves line wasn't so good I don't see why he couldn't be given a chance up on the first line purely because of his effort and speed. It would definitely hurt our depth though.

Now Flip has almost maxed out his potential but I would like him to be a little more aggressive offensively. He is to much like Dats was 4 years ago. It may come with time but who knows.

I have always said that Flip is a poor man's Zetterberg. He does a lot of what Hank can do on a much lesser level. I am not saying he will or can be the next Zetterberg because that is not the case. For you to say that Flip's defense is "suspect" is unfair. The best part of Flip's game, to me, is his defense. There is still a bit of room for him to improve offensively but he is almost fully developed. He is a second line centreman and he gets paid like one, the problem is that he does not always play in the second line centre slot because those spots are occupied by Zetterberg and Datsyuk. There is only so much ice time to go around. I agree, his stats can be better than they are and I feel they will be in the future. Every year until this year, his point production has increased. If he had have been healthy all year he would have built upon the 40 he put up last season. A lot of players get inflated on these boards because of pure homerism which is bound to happen.

Flip in a line: A very solid two way player that is CAPABLE of putting up 60 points.

Zettie reminded me that Flip is a lot like Datsyuk was when he was younger, very reluctant to shoot the puck. Babs has encouraged him to shoot more and he started to this season and it was working out well. Moving forward, hopefully him shooting more has a positive impact like it did on Datsyuk.

Edited by superstarsingh

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Yesterday I saw Flip walking down Center st. in Northville.

Haha, I used to see him and Maltby hoop it up at lifetime a few times last summer. I love going to lifetime, I've met Franzen, Sammy and Osgood there, all really great guys, especially ozzy. Had a nice little talk with him in the sauna not too long ago. Really down to earth guy.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Yesterday I saw Flip walking down Center st. in Northville.

In which he proceeded to tell you this:

"Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk

I'm a woman's man: no time to talk"

Guest lilja4mvp

He is what he is.

He's capable of scoring 50-60 points and is a great defensive forward. At a reasonable cap hit, whats not to like?

we let a 40 goal scorer go to a division rival for a 5mil cap hit to keep him.

that's what's not to like.

Guest lilja4mvp

I really think you'll understand why we did in about 5 years.

don't count on it.

Like he'll even be a wings fan that long from now.

please.

Edited by lilja4mvp

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

we let a 40 goal scorer go to a division rival for a 5mil cap hit to keep him.

that's what's not to like.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh how do you figure that?

don't count on it.

please.

How could you not understand? What are you, new? While it would have been great to have Hossa locked up for the future it is not realistic in the cap era. The Wings are not the Lightning of a few years ago and would not lock so much money up in Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Hossa (That is without factoring in Lids making over 7 mil and Rafalski at 6 mil). Five years from now, Hossa's production will have dropped and Filppula will be in the prime of his career and he will not even be 31 which Hossa is right now. In a non cap world, yes, Hossa over Flip but in the cap world, no. Personally I could careless about Hossa, he was unecessary last year and the team is well capable of winning without him (2008). Any Wings fan can tell you that Holland is not down with making rash decisions that will hinder the team in the future.

Edited by superstarsingh

Well Sammy is gone, and Ozzie has not been playing, so some people are looking for a new scapegoat I suppose.

I like Flip (saw him close up at the Pepsi Center last week :wub: ) - not sure what the complainers want out of a guy that is a solid role player. He's not Z or Dats but he's not expected to be. And he's young. I thought he played great in the POs in 08 and was pretty solid last year as well. And right now he's got one more Cup than Hossa.... :P