Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Why is there so much love for Filppula on this board?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

I really think you'll understand why we did in about 5 years.

Like he'll even be a wings fan that long from now.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#22 lilja4mvp

lilja4mvp

i hate you all

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

don't count on it.

Like he'll even be a wings fan that long from now.

please.

Edited by lilja4mvp, 09 March 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#23 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

I'm far from his biggest fan, but Fil gets way too much (negative) attention around here.

Where's the Zetterberg thread to discuss his poor play?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#24 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

we let a 40 goal scorer go to a division rival for a 5mil cap hit to keep him.

that's what's not to like.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh how do you figure that?
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#25 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:39 PM

don't count on it.

please.

How could you not understand? What are you, new? While it would have been great to have Hossa locked up for the future it is not realistic in the cap era. The Wings are not the Lightning of a few years ago and would not lock so much money up in Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Hossa (That is without factoring in Lids making over 7 mil and Rafalski at 6 mil). Five years from now, Hossa's production will have dropped and Filppula will be in the prime of his career and he will not even be 31 which Hossa is right now. In a non cap world, yes, Hossa over Flip but in the cap world, no. Personally I could careless about Hossa, he was unecessary last year and the team is well capable of winning without him (2008). Any Wings fan can tell you that Holland is not down with making rash decisions that will hinder the team in the future.

Edited by superstarsingh, 10 March 2010 - 12:04 AM.

#26 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:58 PM

Well Sammy is gone, and Ozzie has not been playing, so some people are looking for a new scapegoat I suppose.

I like Flip (saw him close up at the Pepsi Center last week :wub: ) - not sure what the complainers want out of a guy that is a solid role player. He's not Z or Dats but he's not expected to be. And he's young. I thought he played great in the POs in 08 and was pretty solid last year as well. And right now he's got one more Cup than Hossa.... :P
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#27 GONGSHOW HOCKEY

GONGSHOW HOCKEY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

It seems as though Filp has no finish with the puck around the net.

All swedish, no finnish IMO

#28 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:48 AM

Flip is this years Hudler.

Like Hudler - Flip is never gonna be a star caliber player; he'll be solid defensively, get the usual 50 points, but will always get pushed around, and knocked on his ass on a reg basis...He should work out with Sosa, and McGuire :rolleyes:

I really would not be so quick to count out Hudler from becoming a star player in the NHL, should he return. Jiri Hudler was considered a hockey prodigy in his teens, and before his growth stunted was widely considered one of the best players in the world for his age, ala Dan Cleary. For a period of 3-4 years from 14-17ish he was tagged with potential Phenom staus, and was considered one of the most talented Euro prospects.

There our numerous quotes about him during his draft year from other team's scouts saying they expected him to be a top 10 pick, including Holland who claimed he had top 5 vision and hands in his draft year.

Hudler, at age 24 with >14 minutes of ice time a night and 2nd powerplay units posted 23 goals-34 assists for 57 Points

When Datsyuk was 24 he was centering a Hall of Famer still easily capable of 40+ goals and was placed on a powerplay unit that consisted of the aforementioned HOFer along with normally Robaitalle or Larionov.

His points with 16 minutes of Ice time a game and superior linemates... 11 goals- 24 Assists for 35 points.

I have stated from day one that should he set sufficent minutes, Hudler will EASILY be a perennial 30 goal scorer, with the potential to be much, much more.

In my mind...

Hudler's probable output for his prime years: 25-40 goals 70+ points
Hudler's MAXIMUM (and unlikely to be reached) Potential: 90+ points

Filppula's probable output for his prime years: Second line Defensive Center 10-20 goals, 45-65 points
Filppula's MAXIMUM (And Unlikely to be reached)Potential: Almost Selke worthy 65-75 point player

uhhhhhhhhhhhh how do you figure that?

This topic has already been discussed to a saturation point in my poll thread. Please review this thread, and the points the quoted poster was referencing, in which no one provided a sufficent counter point to.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 10 March 2010 - 01:33 AM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#29 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:48 AM

I don't see a whole lot of love for Filppula on this board at all. When everyone says trade him and there are threads made everday about him questioning him and his abilities, I don't call that love.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#30 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:03 AM

Just what we need. Another thread about Filppula.

Filppula is a common subject on these boards because those that like him love him and those that don't care for him hate him. Each side will defend their love/hatred for Filppula to the death. This leads to debates that solve nothing and usually devolves into the usual suspects calling each other names.

Filppula is the new Ozzie.

That's a relief because I was worried I would have to keep arguing with everyone about Osgood for the next year. :P

Posted Image

#31 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

I have always said that Flip is a poor man's Zetterberg. He does a lot of what Hank can do on a much lesser level. I am not saying he will or can be the next Zetterberg because that is not the case. For you to say that Flip's defense is "suspect" is unfair. The best part of Flip's game, to me, is his defense. There is still a bit of room for him to improve offensively but he is almost fully developed. He is a second line centreman and he gets paid like one, the problem is that he does not always play in the second line centre slot because those spots are occupied by Zetterberg and Datsyuk. There is only so much ice time to go around. I agree, his stats can be better than they are and I feel they will be in the future. Every year until this year, his point production has increased. If he had have been healthy all year he would have built upon the 40 he put up last season. A lot of players get inflated on these boards because of pure homerism which is bound to happen.

Flip in a line: A very solid two way player that is CAPABLE of putting up 60 points.

Zettie reminded me that Flip is a lot like Datsyuk was when he was younger, very reluctant to shoot the puck. Babs has encouraged him to shoot more and he started to this season and it was working out well. Moving forward, hopefully him shooting more has a positive impact like it did on Datsyuk.

Filppula should be the second line centre.

I would like to see these two lines given a chance

Z - Dats - Homer
Cleary - Filppula - Franzen

Franzen can dominate on the second line, and that would help Filppula's game.

We were able to win the cup with a second line of

Sammy - Filppula - Franzen

#32 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

My Loony Bun Is Fine, Benny Lava

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

As one of the board's resident Filppula haters (I've accepted the brand), this is the kind of thing that drives me up a F***ing wall. So, after 9 NHL seasons, THEN we will understand why we are paying a 3rd line center the money we are and sacrificing the ability to get other guys to do it?

I could be, and would love to be, SOOOOOOOOOO wrong on Filppula. If I am, mark my words, I will start an "I was wrong on judging Filppula post" and will bring a sign to the Joe (or wherever the Wings are then) that says "Highlights, I apologize."

Unfortunately, the Filppula love on this board is measured at a completely different standard than any player I've ever seen. Ericsson has a horrid season? He's done. Filppula tops out at 40 points as a career high in 3 NHL seasons? Superstar. He gets knocked off the puck and makes silly defensive errors? Not noticed-- he's awesome defensively.

I'd love to be the agent for Justin Abdelkader or Darren Helm right now. "Well, if we are paying players on potential, Kenny, you owe my boy Darren a 5 year deal at $3.5 million. He may win the Selke someday."

/rant. We've had our discussions on him in the past, and I don't want to rehash those. I think that it will save myself, ZD+C, Datsyukiandeke, and FinnishWing the time instead of going back and forth. The above rant is just my opinion in response to your original post.

#33 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

Blame Franzen. I though we decided between him and Hossa, not between Flip and Hossa. Franzen has 5 goals this season, and as RedWingsAbner says: "Projections don't matter s***!". So blame Franzen.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 10 March 2010 - 08:23 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#34 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

Blame Franzen. I though we decided between him and Hossa, not between Flip and Hossa. Franzen has 5 goals this season, and as RedWingsAbner says: "Projections don't matter s***!". So blame Franzen.

Yes, I remember saying that--never.

I do remember Johan Franzen scoring 27 and 34 goals in consecutive seasons and putting up 13 in the 08 Cup run.

It not much of a financial jump from Flip ($3M cap hit) to Franzen ($3.9M cap hit). The difference between the two is Franzen isn't being paid on potential.

To pull up an injured player's goal total and twist my words to make it seem like Franzen is comparable to Filppula is stupid. Can we not go down this road again? Can we just settle on you love Filppula, I apparently hate him because I criticize keeping him, and everyone can focus on the actual subject of the thread?

#35 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

Yes, I remember saying that--never.

I do remember Johan Franzen scoring 27 and 34 goals in consecutive seasons and putting up 13 in the 08 Cup run.

It not much of a financial jump from Flip ($3M cap hit) to Franzen ($3.9M cap hit). The difference between the two is Franzen isn't being paid on potential.

To pull up an injured player's goal total and twist my words to make it seem like Franzen is comparable to Filppula is stupid. Can we not go down this road again? Can we just settle on you love Filppula, I apparently hate him because I criticize keeping him, and everyone can focus on the actual subject of the thread?

No it isn't. As I already proved to you STATISTICALLY, Filppula isn't overpaid when comparing him to other players in the NHL who have about the same ppg this season. Not to mention he's great defensively. And YES, we do have to look at ppg, not points. Otherwise Franzen would overpaid too. Because putting up X amount of points in earlier seasons doesn't really help if you put nothing this season. If you say that we should look points and not ppg, then Franzen is overpaid this season. If we look ppg - as we should - then Franzen and Filppula are both good deals. Period.

Oh, just remembered you were the guy who said something and whenever a counter-argument was presented you claimed it didn't matter anything. So this is probably just a waste of time trying to speak some sense to your head.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 10 March 2010 - 08:43 AM.

#36 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

20 points in the last 24 games is pretty solid for a 3rd liner. At least thats what Mickey said pregame tonight.

I don't know what Mickey said, but I counted 18 points in the last 24 games.

Hehe, good point.

Remember in the pre-season Filppula-Leino-Williams line was playing really well. It seems like three years ago.

It's been a strange season. Almost everyone's production has been down. 25 points in 39 games means 52 points in 82 games. Not too bad for a third line center.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 10 March 2010 - 08:52 AM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#37 lilja4mvp

lilja4mvp

i hate you all

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

How could you not understand? What are you, new? While it would have been great to have Hossa locked up for the future it is not realistic in the cap era. The Wings are not the Lightning of a few years ago and would not lock so much money up in Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Hossa (That is without factoring in Lids making over 7 mil and Rafalski at 6 mil). Five years from now, Hossa's production will have dropped and Filppula will be in the prime of his career and he will not even be 31 which Hossa is right now. In a non cap world, yes, Hossa over Flip but in the cap world, no. Personally I could careless about Hossa, he was unecessary last year and the team is well capable of winning without him (2008). Any Wings fan can tell you that Holland is not down with making rash decisions that will hinder the team in the future.

when filppula is in his "prime", he still won't be a 30 goal scorer. Hossa at age 35 will likely still be scoring more goals than filppula. "Hindering the team for the future" is a stretch considering that with hossa signed, fillpula could have been moved for prospects/picks.

btw, the phrase is "i couldn't care less".

#38 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

No it isn't. As I already proved to you STATISTICALLY, Filppula isn't overpaid when comparing him to other players in the NHL who have about the same ppg this season. Not to mention he's great defensively. And YES, we do have to look at ppg, not points. Otherwise Franzen would overpaid too. Because putting up X amount of points in earlier seasons doesn't really help if you put nothing this season. If you say that we should look points and not ppg, then Franzen is overpaid this season. If we look ppg - as we should - then Franzen and Filppula are both good deals. Period.

Oh, just remembered you were the guy who said something and whenever a counter-argument was presented you claimed it didn't matter anything. So this is probably just a waste of time trying to speak some sense to your head.

Rehashing the old argument. Fun.

You conviently ignore my post about Franzen's accomplishments in the recent past.

We could sign 20 goalies to agreeable contracts but it wouldn't do the team much good. Neither does Filppula even when using statistical analysis to say he is worth $3M. It's not what the team needs.

Continuing to ignore you.

Hehe, good point.

He attributes a quote to me I never said. And Franzen, in ten games, is nipping on Filppula's heels in terms of goals scored.

#39 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

HE DOES IT AGAIN! Bravo. Maybe I'm bringing those old arguments up because you keep ignoring them, because you can't admit being wrong. You say Filppula is overpaid right now, but you don't have anything to prove that argument.

I prove that he's not overpaid by comparing him to other players' cap hit of similiar ppg. The point remains the same. If you look only at the points, then Franzen with 7 points earning 4mill is overpaid. If you look at the PPG - AS YOU SHOULD - you'll see that both of them are good deals.

You don't really have anything to back up your own arguments. Yet you keep ignoring what other people say. What a joke.

#40 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

HE DOES IT AGAIN! Bravo. Maybe I'm bringing those old arguments up because you keep ignoring them, because you can't admit being wrong. You say Filppula is overpaid right now, but you don't have anything to prove that argument.

I prove that he's not overpaid by comparing him to other players' cap hit of similiar ppg. The point remains the same. If you look only at the points, then Franzen with 7 points earning 4mill is overpaid. If you look at the PPG - AS YOU SHOULD - you'll see that both of them are good deals.

You don't really have anything to back up your own arguments. Yet you keep ignoring what other people say. What a joke.

My point, again, is that Franzen put up 27, then 34 goals and is being paid $3.95 million.

Filppula, at his highest, has put up 40 POINTS. In a season. No projection involved there.

Your statistics argument was a good one. I said as much. There are quite a few players who earn a similar salary yet are 40 point players. Still, you also have guys like Franzen who are 30 goal scorers who make $3.95 M. In that context, if we could drop Flip and get a guy who CAN/HAS put up more than 19 goals in a season, I'd say do it.

You call me out for ignoring arguments and you do it yourself. In the hopes of civility, I asked that we get past this and simply stated my opinion. Your obsession with me is in some ways flattering, though.