• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Questioning the Wings Leadership

Rate this topic

We have a lot of older veteran leaders on the team, but let's face it, those players have never been in this position of having to battle for a playoff spot this late in the year.

It shows too. The team doesn't seem to know how to play a full 60 minute game and how to prepare themselves for this situation properly. We always rave about the leadership when we win in past seasons, but it's fair now to question these leaders when we're losing. They can't motivate themselves or the team to show up all the time, because usually they're coasting at this time of year, just getting ready for the playoffs.

It seems to me like they have no clue how to handle this pressure and this particular situation, and the idea that every game is much like a playoff game.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Howard He Do It?!

There is nothing the leadership can do if the rest of the team is unwilling to listen. Something needs to change.

Guest mindfly

Even though lidstrom has the C i doubt it his fault...I'm getting more frustrated about the likes of Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart... all veteran players but they suck so hard

Or maybe the players are just fed up with the brutal coaching staff.. Especially McCrimmon and Babcock.. all Maclean does is keeping track on icetime and matchups.

But damn. Such a big deal was made when they came from behind in the playoffs. When they got the Colorado monkey off their backs. All the different types of "adversity" they overcame. This is just frustrating to me.

We have a lot of older veteran leaders on the team, but let's face it, those players have never been in this position of having to battle for a playoff spot this late in the year.

It shows too. The team doesn't seem to know how to play a full 60 minute game and how to prepare themselves for this situation properly. We always rave about the leadership when we win in past seasons, but it's fair now to question these leaders when we're losing. They can't motivate themselves or the team to show up all the time, because usually they're coasting at this time of year, just getting ready for the playoffs.

It seems to me like they have no clue how to handle this pressure and this particular situation.

Thats their problem. They are professional athletes getting paid millions to play a sport on a wordwide level. If the reason they're failing is because the pressure is getting to them, than they have no business playing.

Or they can just take some anti-anxiety meds before a game or something...

Even though lidstrom has the C i doubt it his fault...I'm getting more frustrated about the likes of Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart... all veteran players but they suck so hard

Or maybe the players are just fed up with the brutal coaching staff.. Especially McCrimmon and Babcock.. all Maclean does is keeping track on icetime and matchups.

But those veteran players are leaders too, not just the guy wearing the C.

They look like a fish out of water right now, unable to grasp the idea of regular season games being just as important as playoff games.

In their defense, when was the last time the wings were in this position? How many players on the wings even know what it's like to battle for the eighth spot?

That's what I sort of meant.

But still, I was hoping they'd handle it better with the older players, even though they're not used to this pressure.

Guess I was wrong.

There is nothing the leadership can do if the rest of the team is unwilling to listen. Something needs to change.

You know what? I have been pissed off since the 2nd Iginla goal. Your post just made me remember that even when Stevie was here, we had some 1st round exits. I don't include the times we didn't make the playoffs with him because he was still in leadership training under Yoda,er, Scotty. If Stevie and Scotty couldn't pull everybody's heads out of their asses every season, I can't expect it out of Babcock and Lids.

I hate to make excuses for anyone that makes 7 million dollars a year but does it not look like Z is hurt? His speed isn't too bad but he just doesn't seem to have that push that he usually has. No time to whine about it now I guess with 16 games to go but I'm guessing if we were comfortably in a playoff spot right now he wouldn't be playing. Since Stevie left this team it has been leadership by committee although Lids has the C but it seems like that committee has been taking a few too many nights off ! :zzz:

You know what? I have been pissed off since the 2nd Iginla goal. Your post just made me remember that even when Stevie was here, we had some 1st round exits. I don't include the times we didn't make the playoffs with him because he was still in leadership training under Yoda,er, Scotty. If Stevie and Scotty couldn't pull everybody's heads out of their asses every season, I can't expect it out of Babcock and Lids.

Yeah, but those first round exits were because of hot goaltending, not because of laziness and blown 3rd periods, as well as not showing up for a full 60 minutes. Also, our goalies were giving up many bad goals in those playoff losses.

This is a different problem with this team.

It seems to me like they have no clue how to handle this pressure and this particular situation, and the idea that every game is much like a playoff game.

they're playing no differently than they were last year, they rarely played 60 minutes last year, either. they just don't have the talent to fall back on anymore. what talent we do have has underperformed this year. this is just how the wings play. they try to get by without working harder than the other team.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

If only we had born leader and hustler... Bring back Robert Lang

In their defense, when was the last time the wings were in this position? How many players on the wings even know what it's like to battle for the eighth spot?

Well, its not much different when you have a spot secured, you just play a little harder than normal. If they have not figured that out they have to be retarded.

Yeah, but those first round exits were because of hot goaltending, not because of laziness and blown 3rd periods, as well as not showing up for a full 60 minutes. Also, our goalies were giving up many bad goals in those playoff losses.

This is a different problem with this team.

ALL the blown thirds just absolutely kill me!!! WTF!?!?!? Any answers for this s***?

Guest mindfly

Get back Todd Mclellan(sp?) obviously it was working when he was here, and of course get a better defensive "coordinator" than garbage-mccrimmon.

I'm putting most of my blame on Babcock, especially a loss like tonight. For all of his strong qualities, he is a downright AWFUL coach when it comes to holding a lead. Babcock has blown leads very frequently in Detroit, but the third period collapses this season especially are unacceptable when the team is so desperate for points.

Getting outshot 15-4 at home in the third is pathetic. Chicago dominated on Sunday too and we got lucky there the lead was big enough. Babcock's two biggest flaws are becoming more glaring this season: he can't coach with a lead and he mishandles goalies.

I'm putting most of my blame on Babcock, especially a loss like tonight. For all of his strong qualities, he is a downright AWFUL coach when it comes to holding a lead. Babcock has blown leads very frequently in Detroit, but the third period collapses this season especially are unacceptable when the team is so desperate for points.

Getting outshot 15-4 at home in the third is pathetic. Chicago dominated on Sunday too and we got lucky there the lead was big enough. Babcock's two biggest flaws are becoming more glaring this season: he can't coach with a lead and he mishandles goalies.

Good point.

Even Canada struggled in 3rd periods in the Olympics.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

It's part McCrimmon's fault, but I personally place more of the responsibility on the players...It's not like McCrimmon tells Kronwall to make a goal-mouth pass in front of Howard.

You don't see the tiny speaker in Kronwall's ear and the microphone on McCrimmon's jacket?