• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, but those first round exits were because of hot goaltending, not because of laziness and blown 3rd periods, as well as not showing up for a full 60 minutes. Also, our goalies were giving up many bad goals in those playoff losses.

This is a different problem with this team.

ALL the blown thirds just absolutely kill me!!! WTF!?!?!? Any answers for this s***?

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

ALL the blown thirds just absolutely kill me!!! WTF!?!?!? Any answers for this s***?

Yeah, this thread. :D

It's the leadership.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

Get back Todd Mclellan(sp?) obviously it was working when he was here, and of course get a better defensive "coordinator" than garbage-mccrimmon.

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

Get back Todd Mclellan(sp?) obviously it was working when he was here, and of course get a better defensive "coordinator" than garbage-mccrimmon.

It's part McCrimmon's fault, but I personally place more of the responsibility on the players...It's not like McCrimmon tells Kronwall to make a goal-mouth pass in front of Howard.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#25 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

I'm putting most of my blame on Babcock, especially a loss like tonight. For all of his strong qualities, he is a downright AWFUL coach when it comes to holding a lead. Babcock has blown leads very frequently in Detroit, but the third period collapses this season especially are unacceptable when the team is so desperate for points.

Getting outshot 15-4 at home in the third is pathetic. Chicago dominated on Sunday too and we got lucky there the lead was big enough. Babcock's two biggest flaws are becoming more glaring this season: he can't coach with a lead and he mishandles goalies.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:11 PM

I'm putting most of my blame on Babcock, especially a loss like tonight. For all of his strong qualities, he is a downright AWFUL coach when it comes to holding a lead. Babcock has blown leads very frequently in Detroit, but the third period collapses this season especially are unacceptable when the team is so desperate for points.

Getting outshot 15-4 at home in the third is pathetic. Chicago dominated on Sunday too and we got lucky there the lead was big enough. Babcock's two biggest flaws are becoming more glaring this season: he can't coach with a lead and he mishandles goalies.

Good point.

Even Canada struggled in 3rd periods in the Olympics.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

It's part McCrimmon's fault, but I personally place more of the responsibility on the players...It's not like McCrimmon tells Kronwall to make a goal-mouth pass in front of Howard.

You don't see the tiny speaker in Kronwall's ear and the microphone on McCrimmon's jacket?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#28 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:41 PM

You don't see the tiny speaker in Kronwall's ear and the microphone on McCrimmon's jacket?

:lol:

Where can I get one of those?

#29 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

I think it's time Lilja was given the C.

After all, he looks like Leonidas from the film 300.

He's the kind of guy these players would die for. :thumbup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:35 AM

Posted Image

Dammit - you owe me a new laptop...Snorted/coughed out a mouthfull of beer when I saw this.

#31 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:41 AM

I don't think we should question their leadership. I just don't think this version of the Red Wings is good enough.

Posted Image

#32 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:45 AM

We should have never gotten rid of Ville Leino. The guy had Captain written all over him.

Posted Image

#33 tdinc

tdinc

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

:angry: I am sick and tired of the this team holding on to the past. ITS TIME to clean out the old. holding on to the past is showing this season. I trust Kenny Holland, but enough is enough......

TIME TO GO:
Draper - I don't care how many faceoffs he wins.......
Maltby - damaged goods
Lebda - useless
Osgood - time is up

#34 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

why is everyone so confident that Lidstrom will re-sign at a huge discount if at all (retirement)??

#35 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

We should have never gotten rid of Ville Leino. The guy had Captain written all over him.

This.

: D
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#36 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

I make up of this team is quite different them what we have become accustomed too especially with the number and quality of the players that left and add to that the number of injuries we have had to contend with. We cannot play the puck possession style as well as we have in the past and we need more players willing to play some old time hockey and muck hard in the corners, drive strong to the net, shoot the puck with some effort behind the shot, block pucks and fight hard to win the individual battles.... this won't happen with a Euro-filled team. Hopefully we can get some better balance this off season and find some players to fit the bill capable of playing both puck possession if its working and also good old fashioned hockey of its not. Having mediocre goalies on this mediocre team is exposing them as a serious hole also... more then ever with the lack of fire power to hide them under.

#37 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

I think it IS coaching. Remember when Detroit sucked hard on the PK this year? Then Jacques Lemaire taught Babcock how to properly run a PK then magically they were good.

#38 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

How the hell does Babcock hold a lead from the bench? In the end the players are on the ice and have to do the work. Babcock got raving reviews from the Canadian players from the Olympics and the coaching staff and everyone else... there is only so much he can do. One thing he can't is play for the players... they have to want to do what he says. Also, how is he mishandling the goalies? We are starved for points and he is playing the goalie that is playing the best... The End! He doesn't have the wiggle room to throw Osgood in to lose games until he can find his way out of his slump and play better. Howard is playing better then Osgood (which isn't saying much) and so he gets the starts... neither goalie is playing great but Howard is playing better then Osgood.

#39 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

This is a mediocre team. Mediocre D. Mediocre goaltending. Mediocre skill. Mediocre leadership. We should expect them to be around the middle of the pack, because they just aren't that good. This team isn't good enough to dominate its opponenents consistantly and it doesn't have the heart to do the little things that make mediocre teams into contenders. There was only one Jarome Iginla on the ice last night and he was on the other team. A goal and an assist when his team needed him most - leading by example, yelling from the bench, willing to do anything necesarry to get that win. The league doesn't have a surplus of Captains like that, and it sucks that all teams can't have one, but that's the way it goes.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#40 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:43 AM

I think it IS coaching. Remember when Detroit sucked hard on the PK this year? Then Jacques Lemaire taught Babcock how to properly run a PK then magically they were good.

I honestly have no recollection of Lemaire teaching Babcock anything :unsure: