• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Gnredwing

Gnredwing

Biggest Wing Nut in NY

• Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

I am constantly reading bashing of Filpulla on the message board but no one ever says anything about Cleary. Is it just me or has Cleary been terrible this year? Filpulla seems to be able to make plays and skate with the puck unlike Cleary who seems like hes just lost. I think the Wings got f***ed with Clearys contract as he seems like hes only getting worse. Any opinions?

#2 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:06 PM

Is Cleary's contract that bad??? Jesus people.

#3 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

If you told me Cleary was playing tonight I would respond with "Really?" To be fair though, he wasn't the only ghost tonight.

I don't like the NTC.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#4 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

I loved cleary's clutch-scoring last playoffs but he seem to have decided not to show up to play this (regular?) season.

#5 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

Honestly, the guy has played just as well this season as he has the past 3 seasons. You guys are just scapegoating now.

Edited by wingsownnhl43, 09 March 2010 - 10:11 PM.

#6 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

Neither is anywhere near good enough right now.

In fact, beyond the top line and Lidstrom I hardly noticed any other players tonight besides Eaves.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#7 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

Meech. /thread
Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#8 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

In fact, beyond the top line and Lidstrom I hardly noticed any other players tonight besides Eaves.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#9 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

Neither is anywhere near good enough right now.

So theyre not good enough because the team is struggling? Cleary and FIlppula are hardly the problem. If you want to blame Zetterberg or lack of depth, go ahead, but come on now.

#10 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

So theyre not good enough because the team is struggling? Cleary and FIlppula are hardly the problem. If you want to blame Zetterberg or lack of depth, go ahead, but come on now.

I respectfully disagree. One has seven goals, the other has 13 and both make ~3 million on a team that clearly lacks goal scoring ability. That isn't good enough for either this season with no Hossa, Hudler, Samuelsson around for offense.

Depth isn't the issue at all. Helm has ten goals, Eaves nine, Draper/Miller seven each. Those guys have played their roles beyond expectations. Our best players simply are not scoring enough, Filppula and Cleary included.

#11 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

Cleary is a guy to whom you say "okay, he's not that skilled and he'll only get 40ish points, but he is a hard working who can score 20 goals". for him to be worth while, he needs to score 20 goals.

Filppula on the other hand isn't like that. 20 goals for Filppula is great and he can do it, but it's not what you need from him. He's like a poor (very poor) man's Thornton. great set up guy, not a great goal scorer. If he is racking up the points (which he was on the second line) and being good defensively, you get what you need from him. He needs a goal scorer on his line.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#12 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

I respectfully disagree. One has seven goals, the other has 13 and both make ~3 million on a team that clearly lacks goal scoring ability. That isn't good enough for either this season with no Hossa, Hudler, Samuelsson around for offense.

Depth isn't the issue at all. Helm has ten goals, Eaves nine, Draper/Miller seven each. Those guys have played their roles beyond expectations. Our best players simply are not scoring enough, Filppula and Cleary included.

Ok.

Dan Cleary. He has tallied 40, 42, and 40 points in the past three seasons. Last season he had 40 points in 74 games. This season he has 29 points in 54 games. Ok, a little math. 40/74 =29/x Cross multiply and divide. If he plays 74 games this season, Cleary is on pace for 45 points. Higher than any of his past 3 seasons.

Valterri Filppula has 25 points in 39 games, thats a 50 point pace which is 10 points higher than his career high.

What exactly do you want from them?

Edited by wingsownnhl43, 09 March 2010 - 10:34 PM.

#13 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:36 PM

Ok.

Dan Cleary. He has tallied 40, 42, and 40 points in the past three seasons. Last season he had 40 points in 74 games. This season he has 29 points in 54 games. Ok, a little math. 40/74 =29/x Cross multiply and divide. If he plays 74 games this season, Cleary is on pace for 45 points. Higher than any of his past 3 seasons.

Valterri Filppula has 25 points in 39 games, thats a 50 point pace which is 10 points higher than his career high.

What exactly do you want from them?

I thought I made that rather obvious -- more goals.

#14 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:41 PM

I thought I made that rather obvious -- more goals.

Well, doesnt this tell you enough? Statistically they are having career seasons? They are playing just as good as they ever have. You're just passing the blame because of where we are in the standings and you just arent exactly sure where to point the finger.

#15 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

Filppula* is a more consistent player, better defensively, trusted in any situation, and in a full season will put up more points...However, Cleary will most likely score more goals. But, I would still give the edge to Fil.
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#16 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

I loved cleary's clutch-scoring last playoffs but he seem to have decided not to show up to play this (regular?) season.

honestly who has showed up this season? lids thats about it..dats and z should have atleast 15-20 more points.

flip is fun to watch. i like his speed and he has some good moves. i think hes continuing to improve and can put up 60pts

cleary has some good grit and wins alot of battles

flip slighty over cleary in my book. both pretty equally defensively

Edited by brett, 09 March 2010 - 10:56 PM.

#17 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

Well, doesnt this tell you enough? Statistically they are having career seasons? They are playing just as good as they ever have. You're just passing the blame because of where we are in the standings and you just arent exactly sure where to point the finger.

I know where to point the finger -- at the Red Wings biggest weakness, which clearly is scoring goals. You can include most of the forwards on the team if you like besides the ones I previously mentioned and Homer, but the thread is about Filppula and Cleary.

I don't know what more I can say. I don't think either is scoring enough goals for the Red Wings. Cleary has one goal in the past ten games; Fil has five goals in 2010 playing big minutes at forward. There aren't the only ones to blame, but they most definitely can produce at a higher level.

#18 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

isn't it roughly the same as Flips except a NTC? If he is making the same amount as Flip then it is a very bad contract
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#19 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

This.

The guy has a knack for getting those gritty goals during the playoffs...So far this year he hasn't been as effective as he has in the past; wonder if his shoulder is still bothering him too?

Either way he's just 1 of a handful of guys who just aren't playing like they should.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#20 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

I know where to point the finger -- at the Red Wings biggest weakness, which clearly is scoring goals. You can include most of the forwards on the team if you like besides the ones I previously mentioned and Homer, but the thread is about Filppula and Cleary.

I don't know what more I can say. I don't think either is scoring enough goals for the Red Wings. Cleary has one goal in the past ten games; Fil has five goals in 2010 playing big minutes at forward. There aren't the only ones to blame, but they most definitely can produce at a higher level.

Well the way I look at it is that Cleary has 1 less goal than he had last season in 20 less games. And Filppula has 5 less goals in 41 less games.

I think you wanting more goals out of them, is asking something that they are not. Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. They are what they are, and I think they are filling their roles just fine. We would be fine in the goal scoring department if we had been healthy this season and had maybe one more 40-50 point scorer. We just dont have the personal that we had last season.