• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

As much as it hurts to say this, but maybe - just maybe the best thing for this team is to not make the playoffs this year, and get the much needed rest this summer.

And you're right concerning Hank; he's still a better option while at 75% than a significant portion of our team at 100%.

The problem is that he's been terrible at scoring goals this season. Terrible. And that's what the Wings needed most from him.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#22 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

:lol:I would suggest this might have something to do it....

Attached Files

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#23 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

:lol:I would suggest this might have something to do it....

I know exactly what to put there.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#24 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

For starters, Zetterberg has been NOTICEABLY worse in comparison to previous years and people should not hand-wave it because of "linemates". That is silly.

Second, Zetterberg is not "phoning it in". He has been the most hard-working and best skater (arguably player) the past two playoff years and wouldn't just quit for s***s and giggles.

Third, Zetterberg needs to kick it up a notch, because they need his leadership on the scoreboard more than ever now. Lidstrom is putting up offense. Datsyuk is putting up offense. Zetterberg NEEDS to put up consistent offense.

Posted Image

#25 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

Double?

Edited by Doc Holliday, 10 March 2010 - 12:21 AM.

Posted Image

#26 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:28 AM

For starters, Zetterberg has been NOTICEABLY worse in comparison to previous years and people should not hand-wave it because of "linemates". That is silly.

Second, Zetterberg is not "phoning it in". He has been the most hard-working and best skater (arguably player) the past two playoff years and wouldn't just quit for s***s and giggles.

Third, Zetterberg needs to kick it up a notch, because they need his leadership on the scoreboard more than ever now. Lidstrom is putting up offense. Datsyuk is putting up offense. Zetterberg NEEDS to put up consistent offense.

Agreed on all three points. He hasn't been moving his feet the majority of the time, he's using very poor shot selection and has been TERRIBLE in the faceoff circle. Hank gets thrown out of more faceoffs than any center I can think of. He seems to be a step behind this year when given shadowing duties on top end players too. I don't know what it is this year, but he rarely looks dangerous in the way that Pavel does nearly every time he's on the ice.

#27 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:45 AM

For what it's worth, Z has scored 2 goals and had 3 assists since returning from the Olympic break. That's a point per game pace. Yeah he needs to pick it up a little, but it's not like he's not contributing at all. Add to that, the fact that he's been on the ice, defending against the opponents top scoring lines, and it looks even better. Still I'd like to see him put the puck in the net a little more. Maybe he can buy us all Curly Fries again. :D

#28 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:50 AM

Fact: Zetterberg has 21 points in his last 21 games. He also has 5 points in 4 games since the break

He had a bad game against Calgary, but has been playing better.

Truth be told, Zetterberg wasnt a point a game player last year. He had 73 points in 77 games, which included what seemed like 37 empty netters. If we want him to score at a more rapid pace, Babs needs to get him away from Williams and Cleary and pair him with Datsyuk again. Z hasnt averaged over a point a game since being on a line with Datsyuk, and that includes last season.

Edited by wingsownnhl43, 10 March 2010 - 12:53 AM.

#29 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:22 AM

The problem is that Zetterberg and Datsyuk should not be separated unless we are missing 1 or 2 regular centers, plain and simple.

Not because Datsyuk and Zetterberg cannot create their own offense, not because they can't make their wingers better, but because they bring out the best in each other offensively, and that's what we need right now, offense.

We are deep enough at center that we can put Z and D back together, move Filppula back to the 2nd line, and split Draper and Helm and make 2 checking lines to go with our 2 scoring lines, something like this:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Helm-Williams
Eaves-Draper-Miller

Top 2 lines contain our 6 best offensive forwards, bottom 2 lines have forwards that can forecheck, cycle, and create scoring chances through hard work.

I would not be surprised to learn that Zetterberg's shoulder never healed properly and that he was rushed back into the lineup, and while I am not making excuses, there has to be something wrong with him physically, he is still trying his hardest, but his hardest right now doesn't seem to be at the level that he (and us as fans) are accustomed to, and I seriously doubt it is due to having nothing left to prove or being checked out mentally.

Perhaps it would be a blessing in disguise, as others have mentioned, for the Red Wings to miss the playoffs and get healthy for once. This team had the shortest off-season possible for the last 2 years, and just barely longer the year before, and with the condensed schedule this year due to the Olympics, it's almost as though they have played 4 seasons in three years. How can you expect to get players healthy when their actual down time in the off-season is shorter than the time it takes to completely heal from a sprained ankle (which is nothing compared to the severity of injuries hockey players play through on a regular basis).

/rant

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:44 AM

Did no-one else see the replay in the Chicago game where he had turn round and start back-checking and there was a momentary hesitation, a gritting of teeth and he forced himself to start skating again. He sure looked like a guy playing in pain.

His interviews lately have also got more and more morose. The guy sounds flat out depressed. I'm almost certain he's playing hurt.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

He's definitely playing hurt. When Babs called out the secondary scoring I don't think he named Zetterberg, but he did name Cleary and Bert.

#32 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:15 AM

Fact: Zetterberg has 21 points in his last 21 games. He also has 5 points in 4 games since the break

He had a bad game against Calgary, but has been playing better.

Truth be told, Zetterberg wasnt a point a game player last year. He had 73 points in 77 games, which included what seemed like 37 empty netters. If we want him to score at a more rapid pace, Babs needs to get him away from Williams and Cleary and pair him with Datsyuk again. Z hasnt averaged over a point a game since being on a line with Datsyuk, and that includes last season.

How many goals does he have in the last 21 games?

I thought so.

Someone has to step up and score. The only guys on this team that are actually putting up goal totals near or above what they're expected to are 3rd/4th liners, Rafalski and Lidstrom. (Edit: Add Holmstrom to that list of guys who've scored on the right pace)

Did no-one else see the replay in the Chicago game where he had turn round and start back-checking and there was a momentary hesitation, a gritting of teeth and he forced himself to start skating again. He sure looked like a guy playing in pain.

His interviews lately have also got more and more morose. The guy sounds flat out depressed. I'm almost certain he's playing hurt.

At this point if he's been playing hurt I wonder whether it's better to pack it in for him and get treatment (playoffs be damned). What're the long term ramifications of him playing hurt for this long?

Edited by Drake_Marcus, 10 March 2010 - 02:17 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#33 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:21 AM

How many goals does he have in the last 21 games?

I thought so.

Which is a 31 goal pace. Which is exactly what he had last season.

#34 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:15 AM

Which is a 31 goal pace. Which is exactly what he had last season.

He had 8 of his 18 goals in the last 21 games? It sure doesn't feel like that.

But that doesn't excuse him one bit. 31 goals is a bad total for Henrik Zetterberg. Datsyuk's averaged that over the last 4 years.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#35 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:29 AM

He had 8 of his 18 goals in the last 21 games? It sure doesn't feel like that.

But that doesn't excuse him one bit. 31 goals is a bad total for Henrik Zetterberg. Datsyuk's averaged that over the last 4 years.

I agree with that first part, Zetters seems like a non-factor in games now. The only time it seems like he scores is if there is an empty net. I miss the 07-08 Hank that put on 40 goals lol. I wouldn't be surprised though if he was still injured. Desperate times call for desperate measures and if that means Hank has to play injured in order for us to make the playoffs, then so be it.
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

This.

Even with him having a hot game here, and there - he still looks as though he's playing injured...Just doesn't appear to be the same Hank.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

Honestly, for long stretches of this season it just looks as though a lot of our star players (with the exception of Franzen since he missed so much of this year) have just looked warn down. THree deep playoff drives in a row will do that. Couple that with the injuries we've had and you end up with a tough year like the one we're having. A shoulder injury like Zetterberg had and three straight short summers will wear anyone down quickly and I think he's just feeling the affects. Throw in the Olympics and the pressure of playing on that big stage and all the other pressure that this disappointing year has had and it's not surprising he's having a tough go. Personally, despite how he may look out there I commend the guy on his last twenty or so games because at least he's putting up some numbers and he's still working his ass off despite the fact we're still not winning as much as we'd all like.

I hate to say it but whether we make the playoffs or not a long summer would really probably pay off in the long run for this team. Our star players need a breather and a chance to heal. On a separate note, for all of us who want to see Lidstrom back, another deep playoff run wouldn't do us any favours in that regard.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#38 Guest_nutz2u (Guest)

Guest_nutz2u (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

I'm beginning to think that the only thing that will wake these guys up is missing the playoffs. Zetterberg my be hurt but that is not the reason this team's defense SUCKS and sucked all last season. They appear to be mentally and plysically exausted. It's either that or their just not very good which is hard to believe.

#39 AARedWingFan

AARedWingFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

He seems to be scoring a lot of empty netters when we need them... That's something right? :unsure:

#40 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

He's definitely hurt -- seems to be lower body (I dont think it's his shoulder)
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!