• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Filppula to be paired with Zetterberg

Rate this topic

While it would be a shame to break up Datsyuk's line as they are on a roll, would another way of getting Z back to his usual self be to reunite the Franzén-Zetterberg-Cleary line that was so good in the playoffs? Bertuzzi did have some success with Datsyuk and Holmström. I guess that would leave Filppula centering Williams and Miller.

Well, a change was definitely in order - And I hope this leads to goals and wins. In terms of the boards I can already see it now; either Filps adds a lot and his praisers praise more or he doesn't and the line struggles and his praisers make more excuses.

Go Wings Go.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Good to see. Hopefully Babcock doesn't mess with the 1st line. They are scoring every game. I'm not sure about Fil on the wing though..it is probably more of a technicality where as mentioned by a poster before, Zetterberg will take faceoffs and Fil will play the center position.

if we win with lebda in can we stop the ericcson experiment for the rest of the year? he was running around his own zone like a moron last night

agreed! Too bad we had so much hope for him last year! We should've package Him, Hudler's rights & our first and second round pick for Tampa's 2nd overall and got Hedman....

I give these lines 1 game as usual...at the end of the day, we just don't have the right balance to ice multiple consistent scoring lines.

And I think people are too worked up about Osgood/Howard one way or the other. For all of Osgood's rust and supposedly "bad" play this year, he hasn't been near as bad as last year. I'm not saying that the whole benching thing helps much, but I think you'll see Osgood finish strong. I think the writing is on the wall with this quote...

"I think Ozzie’s had some real good practices in a row and battled hard and I told him his job is when he gets an opportunity to try and run with it. He understands that. I don’t know when that is. I didn’t make any promises.’’

I am not trying to take away anything from Howard's stellar play for most of this season, but he's been cooler for awhile now and while not bad, not real good either since the Olympic break. As much as Howard's proven this year, he's still a rookie. Osgood's a veteran with 3 Cup rings, plus 2 outstanding playoff runs in a row now. When Howard was playing lights out, it was a no-brainer to give him the majority of the starts. Then Osgood and Babcock had some spats which no doubt has something to do with Osgood not getting as many starts, but they seem to be on better terms now.

In all my years of watching Osgood, I've learned never to count him out. He knows this is it, Babcock knows this is it, and no matter how great Howard has played this year, management is going to want Osgood starting in the playoffs if they can at all help it. This has to be all the more true since Howard hasn't been "outstanding" lately. I'm not saying that as a knock on him either; if you're at all thinking of going with a rookie over a veteran Cup winner who was in game 7 of the finals a year ago, he better be playing "outstanding" all year, and even then it's no sure bet that he's going to get the nod.

I'm calling it now, if the Wings make the playoffs, my money is on Osgood starting. Make no mistake, he'll be on a Hasek-sized leash, but he'll start.

And whether it seems unfathomable now or not to some, he may be the Wings only prayer come April...

Guest lilja4mvp

I'm calling it now, if the Wings make the playoffs, my money is on Osgood starting

hmmm babs finally listened to me when i said that zetterberg needs a playmaker on his line and not another shooter. though for defensive purposes cleary should be on the 3rd line.

lets see if lebda is lucky :)

Good to see that Babcock is finally targeting the second line. It will be interesting to see when Osgood finally gets a start. I thought the game against Minny would be a good time to start him, but I guess that is not going to happen.

MLive

I'm sure noone is gonna believe this but I do have a witness. I was talking about this exact move the other night with a friend on the phone. Look Filppula is 26 he is either about to breakout into a star or he'll just stay what he is for the rest of his career. But I think he has Datsyuklike star potential written all over him, but only if he is given the opportunity to show what he can do ie more playing time and playing on a line with better players. When Datsyuk was a younger player with the Wings he had an advantage to play on a line with a great player like Brett Hull. Playing Filppula on the line with Zetterberg is exactly what he needs to take his game to another level. Great players make everyone around them better and that is what Z is gonna do for Filppula. Great move by Babs!

Not going to work. Fil and Z Haven't really work well together in the past IMO. Helm still stuck on the 4th line? He's far better than that. He could really win some puck battles in the corners and create chances if he got moved up. Babcock seems to think he's Maltby?

Not going to work. Fil and Z Haven't really work well together in the past IMO. Helm still stuck on the 4th line? He's far better than that. He could really win some puck battles in the corners and create chances if he got moved up. Babcock seems to think he's Maltby?

He thinks that the Draper Helm Eaves combo is too valuable to split up.

Bertuzzi is USELESS without Datysuk. They played together most of the season, found some success, why not keep them together? Plus the lines would be more balanced. I love Cleary, but he's not a 2nd liner. Flipulla has the potential but he's not their yet. The Wings need a top 6 forward for next season, not another cent on D-men, even if Lidstrom retires.

Datysuk-Homer-Bertuzzi

Zetterberg-Flipulla/Cleary-Franzen

Our best line in the playoffs last year was Franzen/Zetterberg/Cleary. Cleary can and should be on the second line. He can score, pass, defend, and hit, so whatever role he needs to play, he can. Right now, he needs to be mucking in the corners and getting to the front of the net, like Holmstrom.

I agree. The line combos still puzzle me. I didnt think Flip and Bertuzzi were all that bad together. I think Miller was dragging down that line. I also think Helm and Cleary could work together.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Homer

Zetterberg-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Helm-Williams

Eaves-Draper-ABs

these are the lines i like

if we win with lebda in can we stop the ericcson experiment for the rest of the year? he was running around his own zone like a moron last night

What are you talking about? I thought Ericsson played one of his better games. Do people here even watch games or do they just make assumptions when they post?

Wow, Flipper with Hank! So many people on this forum were questioning why this combination never happened and now it's set to.

I like it, Hank's clearly been underperforming and a lot of that is probably due to his linemates and the completely different styles of play they have. Flip plays a similar style and the added skill level should suit them both, I think it'll work but it's certainly worth a shot. The top line is working so no need to adjust that, the 2nd though has been less than stellar.

I agree with people that Flip and Bert looked good, certainly against Chicago, and I think Miller had no business being on that line.

Personally I thought something like this was worth a shot:

Franzen - Dats - Homer

Bert - Hank - Willy

Eaves - Flip - Cleary

Miller - Helm - Draper

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Not going to work. Fil and Z Haven't really work well together in the past IMO.

Last year they only played together for like 1 1/2 games. I'm sure you're thinking, "That's because the idea sucks" but we need to see more time with it than that.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Last year they only played together for like 1 1/2 games. I'm sure you're thinking, "That's because the idea sucks" but we need to see more time with it than that.

Thank you, people on these boards expect chemistry to be instant and if a player gets a one game promotion to a higher line and dosen't score a point, the line is considered a failure, case in point the Filppula and Zetterberg so called "failure" and Hudler's supposed long tenure on the 2nd line (which was 2 and a half games)

Why not ?

Everybody keeps saying that, but given the fact that his last start was mid-January, we'll never know !

And it's not like Jimmy Howard is playing lights out at the moment..

But the team can't afford to waste any games to see if Osgood is still rusty and can be put out there as cold as a polar bear.