• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

No suspension for Cooke

Rate this topic

Glad you can manage to read minds of people.

What do I want for lunch while you are at it?

That said, I just miss the days where both players in this situation had accountability.

Cooke has the accountability that if he hits a star player, he will have to answer the bell.

And if the star player leaves himself vulnerable with a player like Cooke on the ice, that's his issue...

So basically you're saying that it's OK that you can use your 4th line goon to "remove" some other team's (division rival for example) star player for let's say rest of the season for example. AND your goon would be away even less time. Just taking a beating after the dirty hit is nowhere near enough of a punishment.

So does this mean that shoulder hits to the head are still not punishable, at least for this season? So every player out there could knock out an opponent with a similar blow to the head. So Shawn Thorton could lay a similar hit on Crosby and concuss him when the Bruins play the Pens later this season?

Next Thursday in Boston.

Makes me wonder if Cooke will be try and injure other teams' stars in the meantime, since, when you pair this with the Donovan knee-on-knee hit, he's obviously gotten Campbell's blessing to do so.

Mar 22

Look at who he's facing :|

Unfortunately, this is the right call. While what Cooke did was stupid, disrespectful, dangerous, and completely unnecessary, there was nothing about what he did that was technically illegal by how the NHL rulebook is written. That said, I'm glad that GMs took the opportunity to establish that a rule should be in place this time next year, so at te very least, Mark Savard's injury will not be completely in vain.

Unfortunately, this is the right call. While what Cooke did was stupid, disrespectful, dangerous, and completely unnecessary, there was nothing about what he did that was technically illegal by how the NHL rulebook is written. That said, I'm glad that GMs took the opportunity to establish that a rule should be in place this time next year, so at te very least, Mark Savard's injury will not be completely in vain.

what pisses me off is that such hits are still legal. they will only be illegal next season. so its open season for shoulder to head hits for the rest of this season? Goons don't have to fear a suspension

The instigator rule has nothing to do with there being more collisions like this. Not a thing. Nothing. Zero. Don Cherry made a second living out of promoting videos with big, borderline illegal hits long before the instigator rule was enforced.

If, as it appears happened, Cooke really wanted to take out Marc Savard, nothing would have stopped him.

The Cookie Monster is a piece of trash and disliked by most around the league i gotta say I agree with a post that I saw that Bettman's favorite franchise got away with another one again...Of course if someone did that to baby Crosby they would immediately be suspended because he is the "greatest hockey player ever" LMAO I HATE the penguins and everyone with their organization...I can't believe people in a Red Wings forum would agree that was a legal hit!? Perhaps had it been Datsyuk this forum would be going insane right now. I like Marc Savard he is a good all around player, and much like Lilja won't be returning until 2011, thats my guess. I am sick of the mixed messages as well...Laparierre got suspended for hitting Nichol that wasn't half as bad as the Cooke hit on Savard.

The instigator rule has nothing to do with there being more collisions like this. Not a thing. Nothing. Zero. Don Cherry made a second living out of promoting videos with big, borderline illegal hits long before the instigator rule was enforced.

If, as it appears happened, Cooke really wanted to take out Marc Savard, nothing would have stopped him.

I'm hopeful that this season won't have too many more blind-side head shots. With all the scrutiny that hits to the head have garnished, not just from one side, but from every GM in the league in addition to the media and players who have all voiced their desire for something to be done, its going to take someone with a lot of balls to go out and intentionally nail someone in the head. I'm not saying in won't be done, but I don't think their reputation will get away unpunished. Its not a suspension, but I know I would think twice about doing something that is becoming practically universally despised.

Yeah, it's pretty sad how guys like Matt Cooke and Jarkko Ruutu have replaced players like Tony Twist and Stu Grimson.

I'd rather see a return of the talentless enforcer than to have these cheap shotting pricks who just want to end a player's career.

Even if these dirty punks have the skill to be a contribution to the team offensively, I don't want to see them in the NHL anymore.

Take away the instigator rule. Make players accountable, Cooke does this in the 70's to a talented player and he doesnt play again. Players have no respect for one another anymore, and it isnt just the instigator rule, but that's a part. Oh and the NHL is crap, Boogaard and Lapierre do similar things and face suspension but f***face Matt Cooke takes Savard out for the season and it's all fine and good?

To be honest what the f*** is the difference why should you be aloud to shoulder blindside someone in the head or elbow blindside someone in the head it's simple headshot is a headshot Cormier for example Suspend it everytime thats the only way to solve it. Depending on the persons injury that got hit the more it is. It should be matching you put a guy out for the season your out for the season to.Start to fine players things like this have to happen, it's sad when the OHL is setting rules and examples for the NHL, we might as well just let it be alright for guys to start McSorley'ing,Bertuzzi'ing eachother out there.

I'm not surprised this was the outcome. And watch - when they play next week, Cooke will mysteriously come up with an injury so he doesn't play in the game. How much do you wanna bet???

What a joke. I am not opposed to big, hard hits on open ice, but taking your elbow to a guys head really takes things too far. It's a sport, everyone is competing but that should not allow players to inflict non-legal hits that have a high chance of ending someone's season or career. The NFL has really tightened up on concussions, and other contact sports should too. If Cooke doesn't seem to mind it, let someone take a bat to his head, give him a couple of concussions and see how well he is doing in 20 years.

I'm not surprised this was the outcome. And watch - when they play next week, Cooke will mysteriously come up with an injury so he doesn't play in the game. How much do you wanna bet???

During the '96-'97 season, Claude Lemieux was mysteriously ill for the first three meetings between the Wings and Avs. There was always some reason he wasn't out there, until he had no choice but to play in the last meeting, in March.

Cooke didn't give a rats ass about the injury he just caused. It would be completely different if the hit was an accidental shot to the head, and the player finishing the check actually felt bad about doing it. This guy purposely hits players in the head, and doesn't give two s***s less about it. Players like this should be banned from the league. The guy is heartless trash. He is going to kill someone. Then will it really matter if Cooke hits someone in the head with a shoulder or an elbow?

He knows that the way he hits causes injuries, and does not try to be better about it. That's because like I said, he doesn't give a rats ass.

Edit: Added that last line.

Edited by bd2988

Cooke didn't give a rats ass about the injury he just caused. It would be completely different if the hit was an accidental shot to the head, and the player finishing the check actually felt bad about doing it. This guy purposely hits players in the head, and doesn't give two s***s less about it. Players like this should be banned from the league. The guy is heartless trash. He is going to kill someone. Then will it really matter if Cooke hits someone in the head with a shoulder or an elbow?

He knows that the way he hits causes injuries, and does not try to be better about it. That's because like I said, he doesn't give a rats ass.

Edit: Added that last line.

he does gives a rats ass, because he has eliminated the Bruins as a legit playoff threat.

It's an ATTEMPT TO INJURE and their should have been a penalty and a suspension and to listen to Colin Campbell talk today after the meetings saying that they had to be consistent just makes me sick.

There was an intent to injure and it's not the first time for this player. Colin Campbell is a wuss for this. Just like the Pronger hit years ago.

The NHL can really be a joke, can't it?

The Cookie Monster is a piece of trash and disliked by most around the league...

Did you guys see the player reaction videos on TSN in reaction to the non-suspension?

St. Louis and Lecalavier really call out Cooke, there seems to be quite a bit of distain for him.

"I Can't Believe It"

Yeah, it's pretty sad how guys like Matt Cooke and Jarkko Ruutu have replaced players like Tony Twist and Stu Grimson.

I'd rather see a return of the talentless enforcer than to have these cheap shotting pricks who just want to end a player's career.

Even if these dirty punks have the skill to be a contribution to the team offensively, I don't want to see them in the NHL anymore.

Excuse me? This guy has had his best season so far and has totally left the cheap shotting behind. Don't even try to compare him with Cooke.