• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

No suspension for Cooke

Rate this topic

Guest micah

During the '96-'97 season, Claude Lemieux was mysteriously ill for the first three meetings between the Wings and Avs. There was always some reason he wasn't out there, until he had no choice but to play in the last meeting, in March.

Perhaps he wasn't "mysteriously ill" but was out with an abdominal tear that he had surgery for and caused him to only play in 45 reg season games that year.

....just sayin'...

Did you guys see the player reaction videos on TSN in reaction to the non-suspension?

St. Louis and Lecalavier really call out Cooke, there seems to be quite a bit of distain for him.

"I Can't Believe It"

Pretty good responses from all of the players in the video, however, I don't think Steve Downie has much room to talk on this subject.

Edit: People on this board have said that respect for the well being of players is down in the league and St. Louis says the same thing. I have to agree.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears

Pretty good responses from all of the players in the video, however, I don't think Steve Downie has much room to talk on this subject.

Of course, you could always argue that if Steve Downie is against Matt Cooke's actions, then Cooke is really a piece of garbage.

Did you guys see the player reaction videos on TSN in reaction to the non-suspension?

St. Louis and Lecalavier really call out Cooke, there seems to be quite a bit of distain for him.

"I Can't Believe It"

I was reading comments from Lightning fans. Apparently Lecavalier needed shoulder surgery after a dirty hit from Cooke in 2007. Next season, Vinny wanted to fight Cooke but Cooke refused to fight.

Cooke is a piece of s*** and I am getting really sick of the Penguins getting away this crap constantly...

Brutal blindside elbow to the head and away from the play: no suspension.

But Gonchar is a "good guy" so no suspension. It seems every excuse in the book is pulled out for the Penguins this year.

But now if it happens to a Penguin?

See Carcillo's (repeat offender, just like Cooke) cheapshot to Max Talbot:

Suspension of course.

My Penguins anti-bias aside - I am curious how many times "good guys" can get away with it because they "don't have any suspensions"?

Absolutely pitiful that no suspension is resulted from this. It's going to take an NHLer to get paralyzed or something similar unfortunately before higher ups wake the hell up and realize that this happens too much, and that suspension rules are a joke in terms of how they are consistently enforced. Way too much subjectivity. I'm all for phyiscal play. But what Cooke did was absolutely chicken s**t.

I will always love watching hockey but the consistency of such things like rules regarding suspensions with big hits like this and intent to blow the whistle and phantom interference penalties are just an absolute joke.

Rules aside its about respect, knowing you can't make that hit clean you don't make it, it's as simple as that especially from the blind side.

You are exactly right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfFtIksUl0

But isn't THIS the same thing? These things happen in hockey, and Savard should have known that Cooke would make him pay if he had his head down...

You are exactly right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfFtIksUl0

But isn't THIS the same thing? These things happen in hockey, and Savard should have known that Cooke would make him pay if he had his head down...

I don't think it is the same thing:

1) Not a blindside hit

2) Head was not targeted

3) Kronwall (and the team) was severely punished in the game - he was thrown out - Cooke went unpenalized

I don't think it is the same thing:

1) Not a blindside hit

2) Head was not targeted

3) Kronwall (and the team) was severely punished in the game - he was thrown out - Cooke went unpenalized

I wasn't referring to the legality of the hit, I was responding to the poster's comment about the 'respect' factor. In that way, it doesn't matter HOW he hit him or the conse

That said, you're omitting the ways it IS the same:

1. Havlat has his head is on the puck, not the play

2. Havlat is extended

3. Everyone knows Kronwall blows people up at the blue line all the time.

Punishment aside, its a part of the game and will not change. It will still happen, but the consequence will just be different.

Edited by WalnutSt2366

Excuse me? This guy has had his best season so far and has totally left the cheap shotting behind. Don't even try to compare him with Cooke.

O.K. so I called out a Finn for being cheap. Big deal.

I don't think Ruutu has left cheapshotting behind, no matter what kind of season he's having.

What did he do an interview where he promised he wouldn't run anybody into the boards illegally or something?

I wasn't referring to the legality of the hit, I was responding to the poster's comment about the 'respect' factor. In that way, it doesn't matter HOW he hit him or the conse

2. Havlat is extended

Punishment aside, its a part of the game and will not change. It will still happen, but the consequence will just be different.

Havlat's head may have been on the puck but it sure looks like he knew Kronner was coming at him. Look at the replay and you'll see Havlat look up the ice right where Kronwall was. Kronner also went straight at him face to face and hit his whole body not just his head. Very different hit.

2. Havlat is extended

Still a big difference between a hit coming straight at you, and one from your blindside where the head is targeted (which the GMs recently designated). Havlat even looks up to see Kronwall coming, before the hit. One is definitely more "dirty" than the other and one definitely shows less "respect" for the safety of the other player.

In-game consequences often have a bearing on the suspension - if it was not caught in-game, there is a higher likely-hood of a suspension. See Neidermayer and Pronger on Holmstrom in the 08 playoffs -- Niedermayer received a penalty and no suspension; Pronger received no penalty and a suspension.

Cooke is a piece of s*** and I am getting really sick of the Penguins getting away this crap constantly...

Brutal blindside elbow to the head and away from the play: no suspension.

But Gonchar is a "good guy" so no suspension. It seems every excuse in the book is pulled out for the Penguins this year.

But now if it happens to a Penguin?

See Carcillo's (repeat offender, just like Cooke) cheapshot to Max Talbot:

Suspension of course.

My Penguins anti-bias aside - I am curious how many times "good guys" can get away with it because they "don't have any suspensions"?

At least I'm not the only one seeing it. It's shocking with how much the Penguins are allowed to get away with - both in terms of suspendable infractions AND penalty-worthy infractions on the ice. Meanwhile, they have the most power play opportunities in the league. And I don't buy that, "Well, they're a skilled team, so their style of play earns them more power plays!" excuse. There's something rotten in the state of Pennsylvania.

I don't know if this has been posted in this thread already or not, so if so then apologies:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/guerin-nhl-should-outlaw-hits-to-head/article1497502/

Guerin expected Cooke to be suspended.

“If a guy gets hurt like that with a shot to the head, there's got to be something,” Guerin said. “Actions happen. Guys don't mean to hurt each other, but they do. You got to pay a price for that.”

Okay, when your own teammate thinks you should be suspended, that's a sign that the league screwed up.

O.K. so I called out a Finn for being cheap. Big deal.

I don't think Ruutu has left cheapshotting behind, no matter what kind of season he's having.

What did he do an interview where he promised he wouldn't run anybody into the boards illegally or something?

Well I think he just has been changed. And I think he was never comparable to a guy like Cooke. Ruutu is actually a wise player.

I can't even remember many examples of actual cheap shots by him now that I think about. Other than the Jagr hit in some international game. I think biting someone's finger nowhere near cheapshotting when you compare it to those headshots.

Guest micah

Well I think he just has been changed. And I think he was never comparable to a guy like Cooke. Ruutu is actually a wise player.

I can't even remember many examples of actual cheap shots by him now that I think about. Other than the Jagr hit in some international game. I think biting someone's finger nowhere near cheapshotting when you compare it to those headshots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhfXETjwH0g

Also, as you mentioned, he is the cheap cowardly little ***** that BIT Andrew Peters?

Edited by micah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhfXETjwH0g

Also, as you mentioned, he is the cheap cowardly little ***** that BIT Andrew Peters?

Peters, Kaleta, Lapierre... all cheapshotters themselves! He's just handing some justice that's all. It's kinda different when you take out the other team's star player. And BTW Ruutu did fight after that Lapierre hit. So obviously the fighting didn't solve anything there.

Guest micah

Peters, Kaleta, Lapierre... all cheapshotters themselves! He's just handing some justice that's all. It's kinda different when you take out the other team's star player. And BTW Ruutu did fight after that Lapierre hit. So obviously the fighting didn't solve anything there.

He fought a non-fighter and ducked the other team's toughguy. Laraque *should* have forced Rutuu into it - and 20 years ago, before the instigator rule, whoever was playing in Laraque's place would have.

I do not advocate cheapshots by anyone - not Rutuu, not Peters, not Laraque, not Kaleta, not Lapierre. All are equally detestable.

Edited by micah

He fought a non-fighter and ducked the other team's toughguy. Laraque *should* have forced Rutuu into it - and 20 years ago, before the instigator rule, whoever was playing in Laraque's place would have.

I do not advocate cheapshots by anyone - not Rutuu, not Peters, not Laraque, not Kaleta, not Lapierre. All are equally detestable.

You clearly see how many holes that removing the instigator rule leaves. You really can't be sure that it takes care of anything. I think hockey fights are OK, but they just don't work in this situation as a punishment. It's a too random thing. Removing the instigator creates more harm than good.

Guest micah

You clearly see how many holes that removing the instigator rule leaves. You really can't be sure that it takes care of anything. I think hockey fights are OK, but they just don't work in this situation as a punishment. It's a too random thing. Removing the instigator creates more harm than good.

Serious question, how much NHL hockey did you watch before the rule? It really wasn't the way you might immagine it was.

And I do not think that removing the instigator rule is all that is needed to stop cheapshots - it is one step of many that should be taken.

Penalize blindside hits, remove the instigator, outlaw hard pads, get serious about suspending offenders. That would be a good start.

In the event that there would come a time that league thugs started forcing Dats and those like him into fights, I would want to see that addressed. I don't think it would become an issue, as it wasn't an issue before.

Serious question, how much NHL hockey did you watch before the rule? It really wasn't the way you might immagine it was.

And I do not think that removing the instigator rule is all that is needed to stop cheapshots - it is one step of many that should be taken.

Penalize blindside hits, remove the instigator, outlaw hard pads, get serious about suspending offenders. That would be a good start.

In the event that there would come a time that league thugs started forcing Dats and those like him into fights, I would want to see that addressed. I don't think it would become an issue, as it wasn't an issue before.

As I said in the other thread. Removing the instigator would just create an another way to hurt player with diry way. If players do cheapshotting now, I can easily imagine to hurt the players they want when the rule is removed.

Julien should line Thornton up against Crosby from the very first shift he takes and tell him to run him until he lands on a stretcher the same way Savard did. I'd bet good money Campbell would do something then.

I would say that the other changes you suggest, beyond the insitgator, would be enough. (Well, I'd also mandate proper chin straps on helmets, and probably look for improvements to visors. Hard pads need some analysis. The pads themselves aren't a problem, but they probably contribute indirectly to more reckless play.)

Now on to the instigator rule. Serious question for you. Do you really believe that the chance (not even a guarantee) of getting a minor penalty is keeping enforcers from preventing cheap shots?

First of all, the instigator rule does not prevent violent retaliation; it only assesses a penalty for it. Now think about it logically.

You have a 'cheap-shotter', under current rules, if he delivers a cheap shot (like the Cooke hit), he faces the possible consequences of: Penalty in game (minor, major, misconduct, ejection...up to the discretion of the refs), League Discipline (suspension, fines), Retaliation from the opposing team. So cheap-shotter must either ignore or at least not be thinking about any of those consequences before taking a cheap shot.

You have an enforcer, under current rules, he may (probably even) get a minor penalty for retaliating and a misconduct. Frequent offenders (or in certain circumstances) may face more serious discipline. To NOT retaliate, he must consider the value of his 'enforcement' to be less than what would be lost by taking the penalty. This alone suggests that the 'deterrence factor' of enforcers can not be very high (at least in the minds of the enforcers themselves).

Furthermore, removing the instigator rule would NOT allow an enforcer to force someone into a fight. All Cheap-shotter has to do is ignore the enforcer. How many enforcers are going to chase someone down from behind and risk a Bertuzzi-Moore incident. (Oddly enough, people often cite that case when arguing against the instigator rule. As if removing the instigator would make it impossible to turn your back and skate away from someone.) The league would never allow someone to just pummel another player who wasn't defending themselves. There would be legal ramifications. So at best it allows maybe one or two shots that maybe (not even guarantee) doesn't result in a penalty on the 'instigator'. Consequently, it would also allow the same for bullies to do the same to star players / non-fighters (even if such a thing would be rare [as an aside, I'd suggest you look into the old Flyers borad street bullies]) Also note that the NHL has had at least some version of the instigator rule since the Original 6 days. And really, most of the criticism of the instigator rule would more properly be directed at the Agressor rule, which is the one that penalizes players for fighting unwilling or defenseless opponents.

So you trade increased risk (even if only slightly) to star players for an increase in the likelihood of one potential consequence (the value of which has already been determined to be less than a minor penalty) for the cheap-shotter.

You seem to have this romanticized, WWE-esque notion of enforcers as some kind of super hero, before whom the forces of evil cower in fear. Or rather, they would be, if not hamstrung by the instigator rule. As though they have the ability to protect others from harm, but are too honorable to break the rules in order to do so. As if having a just cause would instill them with some righteous power to conquer their enemies. Like said enemies would, if the instigator were removed, be unbreakably bound by some code to accept their due punishment.

The truth is, players can't police themselves. Like I said before, all that does is allow the toughest guy around to make the rules, even if that guy happens to be one of the 'bad-guys'. Discipline has to come from authority. Authority can not come from violence. It's too inconsistent.

Guest micah

lots of words

Hockey teams are supposed to win. Actions which draw penalties, especially from borderline players, are not generally smiled upon by coaches.

Me personally, I'd rather get a few days off work in punnishment for doing something dumb than have an angry Derek Boogard come after me. *and* get a few days off work. I doubt I'm the only one.

Elimination of the instigator rule is not the anwer to all of the league's problems, it's part of the answer.

First of all, the instigator rule does not prevent violent retaliation; it only assesses a penalty for it. Now think about it logically.

Rules against crosschecks to the face, hits from behind into the boards and slew foots do not prevent these acts, they merely penalise them. Now think about it logically.

The instigator is not a 2 minute minor - it's 2, 5, 10 and sometimes fines (for coach and player) and suspensions. As the rule stands today, players must be very careful about instigating fights.

Furthermore, removing the instigator rule would NOT allow an enforcer to force someone into a fight. All Cheap-shotter has to do is ignore the enforcer.

It's hard to ignore a man who's punching you in the head.