esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#22 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

and if they don't do something about these heashots everytime it happens it will never stop, this isn't cooke's first time either!, remember he took a run at Duncan Keith and clipped his head then Keith later on tried taking off Cooke's head for pay back.

#23 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Police themselves ? thats what is happening now and they still don't stop themselves from almost killing eachother out there!. It wasnt even a shoulder to the head it was straight elbow to the chin. Terrible decision by the league, you put Cindy Crysby in instead of Savard and have a guy like Thornton from the Bruins hitting him the exact same way and we all know what would happen.

Umm, ever hear of that instigator rule? You know the one that allows players like Cooke to do as they please and don't have to worry about having to protect themselves?

Edited by Carman, 10 March 2010 - 03:58 PM.

#24 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Really? What team does Richards play for again? How many similar plays have you seen that resulted in suspensions?

Is Richards a repeat offender? Cooke is.

Derek Boogard recently got suspended for a knee-on-knee hit because he is - all together now - a repeat offender.

One could say that Richards got the benefit of the doubt because he's not a repeat offender. Matt Cooke, on the other hand, does this s*** all the time. Remember the suspension he got for his hit to the head of Anisimov? REPEAT. OFFENDER.

Cooke should have gotten at least five games, if not more.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#25 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

Is Richards a repeat offender? Cooke is.

Derek Boogard recently got suspended for a knee-on-knee hit because he is - all together now - a repeat offender.

One could say that Richards got the benefit of the doubt because he's not a repeat offender. Matt Cooke, on the other hand, does this s*** all the time. Remember the suspension he got for his hit to the head of Anisimov? REPEAT. OFFENDER.

Cooke should have gotten at least five games, if not more.

I am willing to admit if I am wrong here, but I'd be willing to bet that anytime anyone has been suspended for a hit to the head, it's been because they charged, jumped, elbowed, etc. Yes, Cooke is a repeat offender, which means if you offend, you are likely looking at a suspension, but help me understand what the offense was here? He didn't break any rules. This is why Richards was not suspended as well. Richards is no saint either, he can be a pertty dirty player.

Look at the Keith hit on Cooke, that play is no differnt than the Cooke hit on Savard, except that Cooke didn't have the puck. Keith got away with nothing out of it.

Suggesting Cooke got away with this because the league favours Pittsburgh is BS.

#26 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

Glad you can manage to read minds of people.

What do I want for lunch while you are at it?

That said, I just miss the days where both players in this situation had accountability.

Cooke has the accountability that if he hits a star player, he will have to answer the bell.
And if the star player leaves himself vulnerable with a player like Cooke on the ice, that's his issue...

So basically you're saying that it's OK that you can use your 4th line goon to "remove" some other team's (division rival for example) star player for let's say rest of the season for example. AND your goon would be away even less time. Just taking a beating after the dirty hit is nowhere near enough of a punishment.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#27 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

And this suprises who, exactly?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#28 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

It's been said before, but I'll say it again, someone is going to die before they take things like hits to the head serious.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#29 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

+1 for the Fight Club reference
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#30 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

All I want is to see someone pummel Matt Cooke within an inch of his life. Is that too much to ask?
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#31 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

So does this mean that shoulder hits to the head are still not punishable, at least for this season? So every player out there could knock out an opponent with a similar blow to the head. So Shawn Thorton could lay a similar hit on Crosby and concuss him when the Bruins play the Pens later this season?

#32 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

Next Thursday in Boston.

Makes me wonder if Cooke will be try and injure other teams' stars in the meantime, since, when you pair this with the Donovan knee-on-knee hit, he's obviously gotten Campbell's blessing to do so.

Mar 22
Look at who he's facing :|

#33 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

Really?

Posted Image

#34 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

Unfortunately, this is the right call. While what Cooke did was stupid, disrespectful, dangerous, and completely unnecessary, there was nothing about what he did that was technically illegal by how the NHL rulebook is written. That said, I'm glad that GMs took the opportunity to establish that a rule should be in place this time next year, so at te very least, Mark Savard's injury will not be completely in vain.

#35 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

Unfortunately, this is the right call. While what Cooke did was stupid, disrespectful, dangerous, and completely unnecessary, there was nothing about what he did that was technically illegal by how the NHL rulebook is written. That said, I'm glad that GMs took the opportunity to establish that a rule should be in place this time next year, so at te very least, Mark Savard's injury will not be completely in vain.

what pisses me off is that such hits are still legal. they will only be illegal next season. so its open season for shoulder to head hits for the rest of this season? Goons don't have to fear a suspension

#36 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

The instigator rule has nothing to do with there being more collisions like this. Not a thing. Nothing. Zero. Don Cherry made a second living out of promoting videos with big, borderline illegal hits long before the instigator rule was enforced.

If, as it appears happened, Cooke really wanted to take out Marc Savard, nothing would have stopped him.

#37 DatsyukZ1340

DatsyukZ1340

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

The Cookie Monster is a piece of trash and disliked by most around the league i gotta say I agree with a post that I saw that Bettman's favorite franchise got away with another one again...Of course if someone did that to baby Crosby they would immediately be suspended because he is the "greatest hockey player ever" LMAO I HATE the penguins and everyone with their organization...I can't believe people in a Red Wings forum would agree that was a legal hit!? Perhaps had it been Datsyuk this forum would be going insane right now. I like Marc Savard he is a good all around player, and much like Lilja won't be returning until 2011, thats my guess. I am sick of the mixed messages as well...Laparierre got suspended for hitting Nichol that wasn't half as bad as the Cooke hit on Savard.

#38 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

Mar 22
Look at who he's facing :|

Great. Guess we should get used to playing the rest of the season without Lidstrom.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#39 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

The instigator rule has nothing to do with there being more collisions like this. Not a thing. Nothing. Zero. Don Cherry made a second living out of promoting videos with big, borderline illegal hits long before the instigator rule was enforced.

If, as it appears happened, Cooke really wanted to take out Marc Savard, nothing would have stopped him.

I'm hopeful that this season won't have too many more blind-side head shots. With all the scrutiny that hits to the head have garnished, not just from one side, but from every GM in the league in addition to the media and players who have all voiced their desire for something to be done, its going to take someone with a lot of balls to go out and intentionally nail someone in the head. I'm not saying in won't be done, but I don't think their reputation will get away unpunished. Its not a suspension, but I know I would think twice about doing something that is becoming practically universally despised.

#40 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, it's pretty sad how guys like Matt Cooke and Jarkko Ruutu have replaced players like Tony Twist and Stu Grimson.

I'd rather see a return of the talentless enforcer than to have these cheap shotting pricks who just want to end a player's career.

Even if these dirty punks have the skill to be a contribution to the team offensively, I don't want to see them in the NHL anymore.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.