• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#41 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

Take away the instigator rule. Make players accountable, Cooke does this in the 70's to a talented player and he doesnt play again. Players have no respect for one another anymore, and it isnt just the instigator rule, but that's a part. Oh and the NHL is crap, Boogaard and Lapierre do similar things and face suspension but f***face Matt Cooke takes Savard out for the season and it's all fine and good?

#NOMOREKINDL

#42 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

To be honest what the f*** is the difference why should you be aloud to shoulder blindside someone in the head or elbow blindside someone in the head it's simple headshot is a headshot Cormier for example Suspend it everytime thats the only way to solve it. Depending on the persons injury that got hit the more it is. It should be matching you put a guy out for the season your out for the season to.Start to fine players things like this have to happen, it's sad when the OHL is setting rules and examples for the NHL, we might as well just let it be alright for guys to start McSorley'ing,Bertuzzi'ing eachother out there.

#43 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

I'm not surprised this was the outcome. And watch - when they play next week, Cooke will mysteriously come up with an injury so he doesn't play in the game. How much do you wanna bet???
Posted Image

#44 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

What a joke. I am not opposed to big, hard hits on open ice, but taking your elbow to a guys head really takes things too far. It's a sport, everyone is competing but that should not allow players to inflict non-legal hits that have a high chance of ending someone's season or career. The NFL has really tightened up on concussions, and other contact sports should too. If Cooke doesn't seem to mind it, let someone take a bat to his head, give him a couple of concussions and see how well he is doing in 20 years.
40 for life.

#45 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

I'm not surprised this was the outcome. And watch - when they play next week, Cooke will mysteriously come up with an injury so he doesn't play in the game. How much do you wanna bet???

During the '96-'97 season, Claude Lemieux was mysteriously ill for the first three meetings between the Wings and Avs. There was always some reason he wasn't out there, until he had no choice but to play in the last meeting, in March.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#46 bdavis

bdavis

• Bronze Booster
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

Cooke didn't give a rats ass about the injury he just caused. It would be completely different if the hit was an accidental shot to the head, and the player finishing the check actually felt bad about doing it. This guy purposely hits players in the head, and doesn't give two s***s less about it. Players like this should be banned from the league. The guy is heartless trash. He is going to kill someone. Then will it really matter if Cooke hits someone in the head with a shoulder or an elbow?

He knows that the way he hits causes injuries, and does not try to be better about it. That's because like I said, he doesn't give a rats ass.

Edit: Added that last line.

Edited by bd2988, 10 March 2010 - 11:48 PM.

#47 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:19 AM

Cooke didn't give a rats ass about the injury he just caused. It would be completely different if the hit was an accidental shot to the head, and the player finishing the check actually felt bad about doing it. This guy purposely hits players in the head, and doesn't give two s***s less about it. Players like this should be banned from the league. The guy is heartless trash. He is going to kill someone. Then will it really matter if Cooke hits someone in the head with a shoulder or an elbow?

He knows that the way he hits causes injuries, and does not try to be better about it. That's because like I said, he doesn't give a rats ass.

Edit: Added that last line.

he does gives a rats ass, because he has eliminated the Bruins as a legit playoff threat.

#48 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:26 AM

It's an ATTEMPT TO INJURE and their should have been a penalty and a suspension and to listen to Colin Campbell talk today after the meetings saying that they had to be consistent just makes me sick.

There was an intent to injure and it's not the first time for this player. Colin Campbell is a wuss for this. Just like the Pronger hit years ago.

The NHL can really be a joke, can't it?

Posted Image

#49 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:58 AM

Glad you can manage to read minds of people.

What do I want for lunch while you are at it?

That said, I just miss the days where both players in this situation had accountability.

Cooke has the accountability that if he hits a star player, he will have to answer the bell.
And if the star player leaves himself vulnerable with a player like Cooke on the ice, that's his issue...

I miss the days when there wasn't an instigator penalty, and a clown like Cooke would've gotten pummeled.

Take away the instigator rule. Make players accountable, Cooke does this in the 70's to a talented player and he doesnt play again. Players have no respect for one another anymore, and it isnt just the instigator rule, but that's a part. Oh and the NHL is crap, Boogaard and Lapierre do similar things and face suspension but f***face Matt Cooke takes Savard out for the season and it's all fine and good?

Agreed.

Players used to police themselves to a certain extent, and issues were taken care of on the ice...Now everyone looks to the league to hand out punishment, and in a case like this where the league fails to do the right thing - I wouldn't be too surprised if there's some nastiness (read potential ugliness) when these 2 teams meet again.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#50 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:30 AM

The Cookie Monster is a piece of trash and disliked by most around the league...

Did you guys see the player reaction videos on TSN in reaction to the non-suspension?
St. Louis and Lecalavier really call out Cooke, there seems to be quite a bit of distain for him.

"I Can't Believe It"
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#51 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, it's pretty sad how guys like Matt Cooke and Jarkko Ruutu have replaced players like Tony Twist and Stu Grimson.

I'd rather see a return of the talentless enforcer than to have these cheap shotting pricks who just want to end a player's career.

Even if these dirty punks have the skill to be a contribution to the team offensively, I don't want to see them in the NHL anymore.

Excuse me? This guy has had his best season so far and has totally left the cheap shotting behind. Don't even try to compare him with Cooke.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#52 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

During the '96-'97 season, Claude Lemieux was mysteriously ill for the first three meetings between the Wings and Avs. There was always some reason he wasn't out there, until he had no choice but to play in the last meeting, in March.

Perhaps he wasn't "mysteriously ill" but was out with an abdominal tear that he had surgery for and caused him to only play in 45 reg season games that year.

....just sayin'...
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#53 ManLuv4Clears

ManLuv4Clears

Tough As Nails

• Gold Booster
  • 594 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

Did you guys see the player reaction videos on TSN in reaction to the non-suspension?
St. Louis and Lecalavier really call out Cooke, there seems to be quite a bit of distain for him.

"I Can't Believe It"

Pretty good responses from all of the players in the video, however, I don't think Steve Downie has much room to talk on this subject.

Edit: People on this board have said that respect for the well being of players is down in the league and St. Louis says the same thing. I have to agree.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears, 11 March 2010 - 10:04 AM.

#54 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:26 AM

Pretty good responses from all of the players in the video, however, I don't think Steve Downie has much room to talk on this subject.

Of course, you could always argue that if Steve Downie is against Matt Cooke's actions, then Cooke is really a piece of garbage.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#55 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

"I Can't Believe It"

I was reading comments from Lightning fans. Apparently Lecavalier needed shoulder surgery after a dirty hit from Cooke in 2007. Next season, Vinny wanted to fight Cooke but Cooke refused to fight.

#56 ManLuv4Clears

ManLuv4Clears

Tough As Nails

• Gold Booster
  • 594 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

Of course, you could always argue that if Steve Downie is against Matt Cooke's actions, then Cooke is really a piece of garbage.

:lol: Yeah, never thought of it that way.

#57 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

Cooke is a piece of s*** and I am getting really sick of the Penguins getting away this crap constantly...

Brutal blindside elbow to the head and away from the play: no suspension.
But Gonchar is a "good guy" so no suspension. It seems every excuse in the book is pulled out for the Penguins this year.

But now if it happens to a Penguin?
See Carcillo's (repeat offender, just like Cooke) cheapshot to Max Talbot:

Suspension of course.

My Penguins anti-bias aside - I am curious how many times "good guys" can get away with it because they "don't have any suspensions"?
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#58 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

Absolutely pitiful that no suspension is resulted from this. It's going to take an NHLer to get paralyzed or something similar unfortunately before higher ups wake the hell up and realize that this happens too much, and that suspension rules are a joke in terms of how they are consistently enforced. Way too much subjectivity. I'm all for phyiscal play. But what Cooke did was absolutely chicken s**t.

I will always love watching hockey but the consistency of such things like rules regarding suspensions with big hits like this and intent to blow the whistle and phantom interference penalties are just an absolute joke.

#59 WalnutSt2366

WalnutSt2366

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

Rules aside its about respect, knowing you can't make that hit clean you don't make it, it's as simple as that especially from the blind side.

You are exactly right...

But isn't THIS the same thing? These things happen in hockey, and Savard should have known that Cooke would make him pay if he had his head down...

#60 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

You are exactly right...

But isn't THIS the same thing? These things happen in hockey, and Savard should have known that Cooke would make him pay if he had his head down...

I don't think it is the same thing:

1) Not a blindside hit
2) Head was not targeted
3) Kronwall (and the team) was severely punished in the game - he was thrown out - Cooke went unpenalized
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."