• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

Ryan Kesler

Rate this topic

Someone brought up Ryan Kesler's name and contract up in another thread and it got me thinking. He is a RFA next year, and I was wondering if you guys think the Wings should try and sign him to an offer sheet. He is a Livonia native. I would suspect we could sign him for somewhere in the 3.5-4 mil range and hope Vancouver doesnt match.

If they didnt match we would have to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick in next years draft. To me, this is a small price to pay for a 25 year old forward with the ability to score a point per game. To fit him under the cap we would obviously not have room for Jiri Hudler to come back which is fine with me. Kesler is alot better.

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / * Ryan Kesler ($4.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) / * Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m) / * Tomas Holmstrom ($1.500m)

* Darren Helm ($1.000m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

* Mattias Ritola ($0.511m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / * Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

* Andreas Lilja ($1.250m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.149m; CAP ROOM: $0.651m

I realize this is wishful thinking. Vancouver is in good shape in terms of the cap and Kelser will be a top priority of theirs in the offseason. I just think its something the Wings should consider. Whats the worst that could happen?

Johan Franzen ($3.955m)Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / * Ryan Kesler ($4.000m)

Henrik Zetterberg($6.083m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.500m)

* Mattias Ritola ($0.511m)/ Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)/ Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m)

* Darren Helm ($1.000m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.149m; CAP ROOM: $0.651m

The players are just arranged in order of salary, highest to lowest, left to right.

oh ok sorry didn't see that, how about these lines

Edited by king_malice

Kesler is a center.

Flippula would be moved to 3rd line.

I would love Kesler on the Wings, I just don't see Vancouver not re-signing him. He's too valuable on that team.

Guest mindfly

No one goes after RFA's these days.. and Holland never wants to give up first rounders and s***

No one goes after RFA's these days.. and Holland never wants to give up first rounders and s***

Haha that made me laugh. And yeah, I agree. I dont expect to get Kesler at all. I just think that it is a route the Wings might want to consider. After coming off a rough season, and anticipating a new season with pretty much the same cast of characters we've had the past 3-5 seasons, a shake up might be in order. Going the RFA route, you dont have to move any key parts, just draft picks. And if you can get an up and coming star for a first and a third, I think its definitely worth it.

Theres really nothing to lose by signing a future stud to an offer sheet. The worst that could happen is the other team matching the contract and you wind up right where you were before.

Kesler is a center.

Flippula would be moved to 3rd line.

I would love Kesler on the Wings, I just don't see Vancouver not re-signing him. He's too valuable on that team.

Agreed.

If we got Kesler, Id roll these lines

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Kesler - Bertuzzi

Cleary - Filppula - Helm

Abdelkader - Draper - Eaves

Edited by wingsownnhl43

Agreed.

If we got Kesler, Id roll these lines

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Kesler - Bertuzzi

Cleary - Filppula - Helm

Abdelkader - Draper - Eaves

Top 6 would look the same

But I would have

Cleary-Flip-Eaves

Abby-Helm-Draper

If you think Lids is going to play next year for 3 million dollars you're nuts. Cmon give the guy some respect, I realize he is on the tail end of his great career but he is still top 5 in this league in terms of overall d men. If he decides to continue playing which I hope he will he won't make less than 5 a year and I would suggest that he will probably get a contract in the 6 million dollar range.

Only way Vancouver doesnt match is on a gross overpayment (over 5.5) and it's not worth giving up 2 1st rounders and a 2nd to sign him for >5mill. Never going to happen

I agree. My whole thing here is that I think this team might need a shake up and/or a fresh face. If you sign a Ryan Kesler, Nicklas Backstrom, or Bobby Ryan to an offer sheet, you really dont have much to lose. It's conceivable that a team will get frugal and let the player go. Those players are well worth the lost draft picks.

I agree though, Ryan Kesler means too much to Vancouver.

Additionally, Andrew Ladd is an RFA. If we can sign him to a contract that fits us, with 14 players signed and already over the cap, Chicago is in no position to match. This is something that should be considered as well.

if not Kesler how about Loui Eriksson?

RFA

Player Pos Age 09-10 Salary Notes

Kari Lehtonen G 25 $3,000,000

Loui Eriksson L 23 $1,700,000

Nicklas Grossman D 24 $1,050,000

Fabian Brunnstrom L 24 $875,000

Matt Niskanen D 22 $805,000

James Neal L 21 $720,000

Raymond Sawada R 24 $700,000

Tom Wandell C 22 $560,000

Dallas i believe has 1.8m Cap space now with alot of RFA/UFA coming up

if not Kesler how about Loui Eriksson?

RFA

Player Pos Age 09-10 Salary Notes

Kari Lehtonen G 25 $3,000,000

Loui Eriksson L 23 $1,700,000

Nicklas Grossman D 24 $1,050,000

Fabian Brunnstrom L 24 $875,000

Matt Niskanen D 22 $805,000

James Neal L 21 $720,000

Raymond Sawada R 24 $700,000

Tom Wandell C 22 $560,000

Dallas i believe has 1.8m Cap space now with alot of RFA/UFA coming up

Eriksson signed a big extension a few months ago... in the range of 4-4.5

Don't mean to be a downer but there is no way the wings will be pouching any big name rfa's. If they do go after an rfa (which I highly doubt they will) it would be someone like Ladd or Hjalmarsson (sp) from a team that is extremely close to the cap

Eriksson signed a big extension a few months ago... in the range of 4-4.5

Don't mean to be a downer but there is no way the wings will be pouching any big name rfa's. If they do go after an rfa (which I highly doubt they will) it would be someone like Ladd or Hjalmarsson (sp) from a team that is extremely close to the cap

I agree. How much would you offer a guy like Ladd?

Don't think we could afford to give him more than 2-2.5 (which IMO is high for him) and there are plenty of teams in a better cap situation than us who could match that. Before we played them on Saturday, Ladd had 12g in 64gp on a team that has no problem scoring. Given all of the s*** that Cleary has taken, Danny has 13g in 54gp.

I was just throwing Ladd's name out there because I knew he was a RFA and wasn't making a whole lot of money (i figured he'd be making <1.5). Honesty I hope the wings don't go after any RFA's this summer unless they can sign them for 1-1.5mil (which in most cases their team would match). Poaching RFA's and giving up draft picks is an expensive way to build a team.

Edit: Theres absolutely no way the caps let Backstrom go for a price we could afford. They would trade Semin for picks to keep him if they had to, he's ovie's setup man after all, and only 22! Theodore's contract is up this summer so I'm sure they'll find some cash for Backstrom

Edited by ceebs

I don't know that we're in a position to add any C-level free agent forwards like Ladd. I think the next Patrick Eaves might be the ceiling if we do add a forward or two, simply becssue we're going to either have to replace Lidstrom on the blueline with a decent D man or we'll have Lidstrom at a slightly reduced short term contract... and have no cap room anyway.

I'm simply basing this opinion on what the Matt Stajans and Rene Bourques have been getting in terms of extensions. If these guys are in the $3.5 to $4 million range for four or five years, Ladd is certainly not all that far behind those guys. Maybe $2.5 to $2.7 million for three to five?

Anyway, I don't think we're adding a 15 to 20-goal scorer unless there's other organizational changes made.

I don't know that we're in a position to add any C-level free agent forwards like Ladd. I think the next Patrick Eaves might be the ceiling if we do add a forward or two, simply becssue we're going to either have to replace Lidstrom on the blueline with a decent D man or we'll have Lidstrom at a slightly reduced short term contract... and have no cap room anyway.

I'm simply basing this opinion on what the Matt Stajans and Rene Bourques have been getting in terms of extensions. If these guys are in the $3.5 to $4 million range for four or five years, Ladd is certainly not all that far behind those guys. Maybe $2.5 to $2.7 million for three to five?

Anyway, I don't think we're adding a 15 to 20-goal scorer unless there's other organizational changes made.

I think we are in a position to add even if Lidstrom comes back for a reduced price. Figuring we re-sign Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Lilja and Bertuzzi we have 4.6 mil in cap room with 1 spot to fill. Hudler is rumored to come back, but I don think the Wings brass should settle. If we can find a player at 4 million that we feel is a better fit than Hudler, then by all means, upgrade.

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)

* Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m) / * Tomas Holmstrom ($1.500m) / * Darren Helm ($1.000m)

* Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.750m) / * Mattias Ritola ($0.511m)

DEFENSEMEN

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 21; PAYROLL: $52.149m; CAP ROOM: $4.651m

Edited by wingsownnhl43

Haha, a friend who's a Leaf fan said Burke is interested in adding Kesler to the Leafs next year. I guess after seeing Burke throw away two 1st round picks on Kessel, I wouldn't put it past him to waste more 1st rounders on Kesler.

Kesler would be a dream. Vancouver would never let him go, but he's exactly the type of player we could use. Great 2-ways, good on faceoffs, physical, talented, great beard...

Just wont happen, nice to dream though.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Kesler-Franzen

Eaves-Filpulla-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Draper

Wonderful.

Haha, a friend who's a Leaf fan said Burke is interested in adding Kesler to the Leafs next year. I guess after seeing Burke throw away two 1st round picks on Kessel, I wouldn't put it past him to waste more 1st rounders on Kesler.

when is there next 1st rounder ....2012/2013?

when is there next 1st rounder ....2012/2013?

Yea I think so.

I'll go on record saying Burke isn't going to turn the Leafs around. Last week at the deadline he said he doesn't want to take 5 years to make the Leafs a winner. :huh: Without a franchise player, or a 1st round pick for 2 years, there's no chance!

He also went on to say it didn't take Anaheim 5 years. I guess he forgets Getzlaf and Perry were already drafted. All he did was trade for Pronger.

If the WIngs were gonna sign some RFA to an offer sheet it should be Nick Backstrom. He's the only one worth losing picks over. He's only 22 and he's going to be a superstar!

wow, that would be awesome... that guy is good, and he is only going to get better over the next 8 years... i doubt Washington would let him go, but that would be sick