• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

I think we can all agree that Lidstrom will be the next in the rafters of the Joe. My question is who do you think will be after that? Datsyuk or Zetterberg perhaps? Maybe Osgood? Or even someone that's still very young or in Grand Rapids, you just think they'll go onto a great career that will end with their sweater in the rafters. Just interested in what you guys think

Posted Image

#2 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

To be honest - after Lidstrom there isn't anyone in a Red Wings sweater that I'd consider worthy of hanging it into the rafters.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#3 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Darren Helm.

#4 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

To be honest - after Lidstrom there isn't anyone in a Red Wings sweater that I'd consider worthy of hanging it into the rafters.

This.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg obviously still have the potential to get their numbers retired, but they still have a lot left to accomplish.

#5 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Clearly Lidstrom. i think Datsyuk will have a very decent chance with the Stanley cups and major awards he has won. Zetterberg won't stay healthy enough to put up the number to get in and either will Kronwall. Lebda might be able to, though.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#6 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

Lidstrom and that's where it stops.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#7 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

See my signature....
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#8 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

See my signature....

No doubt...If Vladdy wasn't injured he most likely would've won a few Norris Trophies.

Man I miss him :(

#9 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

No doubt...If Vladdy wasn't injured he most likely would've won a few Norris Trophies.

Man I miss him :(

Good point - though I did mean Red Kelly and Larry Aurie :)

Konstantinov was definitely on track for that honor.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#10 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

Good point - though I did mean Red Kelly and Larry Aurie :)

Konstantinov was definitely on track for that honor.

:lol: - I was thinking avatar.

#11 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

Lidstrom and nobody else.

The rafters are for the legendary players. Nobody else other than Lidstrom (currently) is at that level.

Posted Image

#12 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

Lidstrom and nobody else.

The rafters are for the legendary players. Nobody else other than Lidstrom (currently) is at that level.

Agreed. After players retire they should have a certain window to have their number retired. Example. 5-10 years. After that their chances should be done just because historically a players reputation tends to get better as they get older or as time passes. This should prevent Larry Aurie or Red Kellys number from being retired. I just dont think its right for the fans or management from this generation to retire a jersey based on what theyve heard or read, because they certainly havent seen more than highlights of that player or maybe a few games.

Edited by wingsownnhl43, 11 March 2010 - 03:38 PM.

#13 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

As others have said, the only current Wing that deserves it is Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and maybe to some extent, Franzen, have a chance, but they need to have an EPIC next decade for there to even be any discussion...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#14 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:41 PM

Agreed. After players retire they should have a certain window to have their number retired. Example. 5-10 years. After that their chances should be done just because historically a players reputation tends to get better as they get older or as time passes. This should prevent Larry Aurie or Red Kellys number from being retired. I just dont think its right for the fans or management from this generation to retire a jersey based on what theyve heard or read, because they certainly havent seen more than highlights of that player or maybe a few games.

How about un-retiring jerseys of players you've never seen?
As was the case with Larry Aurie.

And Red Kelly was better for Detroit than any player currently hanging up there, outside of Howe.

Edited by egroen, 11 March 2010 - 03:41 PM.

#15 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:47 PM

And Red Kelly was better for Detroit than any player currently hanging up there, outside of Howe.

I really dont know why Mike Illitch doesnt hang #6 back up, but I support his decision. I respectfully disagree with you. The way I see it, if those numbers arent retired now, they shouldnt be.

#16 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

Agreed about Aurie, that one is odd to me... with Kelly though, he left for Toronto and spent just as much time there... that'd be like retiring Fedorov's number... I think it really should almost reserved for players that were almost Wings for life... I know terrible Ted left for Chicago, but that was short stint and he came back... and Sawchuck was a goalie... they're always quirky and not held to the same standard, haha

Edited by stevkrause, 11 March 2010 - 03:50 PM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#17 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Agreed about Aurie, that one is odd to me... with Kelly though, he left for Toronto and spent just as much time there... that'd be like retiring Fedorov's number... I think it really should almost reserved for players that were almost Wings for life... I know terrible Ted left for Chicago, but that was short stint and he came back... and Sawchuck was a goalie... they're always quirky and not held to the same standard, haha

+ 1 on Red Kelly. Having your jersey retired should pretty much be for lifers with some exceptions.

And great example of Fedorov. He was well on track to have his # retired. He was an important part of 3 Stanley Cup runs, phenomenal player. But hey, he left and lost out on that honor.

Edited by wingsownnhl43, 11 March 2010 - 03:55 PM.

#18 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:54 PM

Agreed about Laurie, that one is odd to me... with Kelly though, he left for Toronto and spent just as much time there... that'd be like retiring Fedorov's number... I think it really should almost reserved for players that were almost Wings for life... I know terrible Ted left for Chicago, but that was short stint and he came back... and Sawchuck was a goalie... they're always quirky and not held to the same standard, haha

Like Lindsay, Kelly ran afoul with Jack Adams -
Adams literally made Kelly play with a broken ankle, and when Red was questioned by a reporter about his poor play, his response was "I dunno, maybe it was the ankle". Off to Siberia (Rangers at the time) with him, which prompted Kelly to retire. It was not his choice to leave Detroit (unlike Fedorov).

Jack Adams was a brilliant coach, but he also prematurely broke up the Detroit Dynasty of the 50s (and was a complete and utter *******), IMO.

It does bother me that Kelly has his number hanging in Toronto, when he was twice the player for Detroit.

Edited by egroen, 11 March 2010 - 03:55 PM.

#19 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

Lidstrom is obvious and his number will get retired instantly.

Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg do have a shot at getting their numbers retired but both do have a lot of work to do still. What each has working in their favours so far are:

Datsyuk: 2 Cup Rings, 3 First All Star, 1 Second All Star Team, 4 straight Bings, and 2 straight Selkes

Zetterberg: 1 Cup Ring, Red Wing Record 27 pts in one playoff year, 1 Second All Star Team, 1 Conn Smyth.

Also, if Zetterberg is named captain after Lidstrom retires that will go a long way in terms of getting his number raised.

I'm not arguing for or against either of them getting their numbers up there but I'm saying that if you look at their accolades they are both on they're ways to having the type of recognition that it takes to get a number retired. Plus, they have both bought in so heavily into the culture and family of the Detroit Red Wings and ultimately it is the Wings brass who decides so that will also help.

Also, no way Osgood. As much as he has done for me, I just don't see it.

Edited by mmamolo, 11 March 2010 - 04:01 PM.

Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#20 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:02 PM

And outside of Howe, Aurie and Yzerman, all of the numbers hanging up there were retired decades after they stopped playing for Detroit:

Abel's was retired in 1995
Delvecchio's in 1991
Lindsay's in 1991
Sawchuk's in 1994