• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

Check it out. Gustav Nyquist, a Wings pick from 2008, is considered the favourite for the Hobey Baker trophy this season and he's just been named the player of the month by Hockey's Future:

http://www.hockeysfu...h_february2010/

The February Prospect of the Month has been one of the most consistent scoring forwards in the NCAA, but has yet to earn as little as an honorable mention on this list. His consistent scoring, however, bloomed into enormous offensive output for the month of February. With a total of 18 points in just eight games, Detroit Red Wings draft pick Gustav Nyquist is the Hockey’s Future Prospect of the Month for February.

Nyquist took a somewhat different route to pursue his dream of playing in the NHL – leaving his home in Sweden to suit up for the University of Maine Black Bears in the NCAA. Nyquist’s move to North America appears to have been beneficial to his development. The 21-year-old has led his team in scoring all season as a sophomore and now sits atop of all division one scoring with 54 points in just 32 games.

Nyquist has also continued to improve down the stretch as February has been his best month this season, scoring three goals and adding a whopping 15 assists in a mere eight games. The importance of Nyquist to his team is no more emphasized than in the fact that the second highest scorer on the team sits 15 points behind with 39.

Nyquist’s consistent offensive efforts this season have him eclipsing an assist per game with 37 in 32 games while also being able to add 17 goals, including four game winners. He’s likely to spend two more years ironing out his game at the University of Maine, but either way, the Red Wings may have another Swedish steal on their hands.

Edit: Just some quick stats on him--
Height-5'11 Weight-176lbs
Shoots-L Position-Centre
Birth date- 09/01/1989
Drafted- 4th Round (121st overall) by Detroit
Team- Maine Blackbears (NCAA Division 1)

Edited by Drake_Marcus, 11 March 2010 - 02:58 PM.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#2 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

And Smith was leading all defensemen in points last time I checked :thumbup:
Nice to see some promising prospects in the system again - now we just need to ensure they never drive a car :blink:
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#3 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

And Smith was leading all defensemen in points last time I checked :thumbup:
Nice to see some promising prospects in the system again - now we just need to ensure they never drive a car :blink:

Or get a ride with Heatley.

I like it....another small forward who everyone will hate for the first year, and will end up being a big part of the team. I hope.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#4 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

once he gets to around 200lbs I'll be happy with this kid. Drake, I'm sure you and I will be debating him and Smith for the next few years, eh haha.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#5 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

Looks like another "late round gem". I doubt he will ever be as good as Datsyuk or Zetterberg, but the best college hockey player at the moment shouldn't do to bad in the future.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

good to see a couple of wings picks that are having really good years. hopefully landon ferraro is done with his injury issues he was having. the wings have a good group of potential solid prospects with the likes of tatar, ferraro, smith and nyquist along with possibly larsson or mccollum in goal. hopefully kindl turns into a good wing next year too. the wings seem to be heading in the right direction with their picks. hopefully they get a good player in the 1st round this year too to round out the crop.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#7 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

I can really see him in a wings jersey in some years... He, Tatar and also Ferraro given the potential and bloodline..really good offensive prospects

Edited by mindfly, 11 March 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#8 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

Interesting way to go with the college-route. Gonna be fun to follow his development.

#9 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

once he gets to around 200lbs I'll be happy with this kid. Drake, I'm sure you and I will be debating him and Smith for the next few years, eh haha.

Probably. Smith looks like he'll be another Kindl:
-->He's big but doesn't play a particularly rough game.
-->He's offensively talented (more so than Kindl) but has had trouble putting his defensive game together.

I'm just hoping that unlike Kindl he's able to make the next leap to playing competent defense at the pro level while still honing his offensive game.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#10 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

Nice. He's been steadily climbing up our prospect ranks. Good to see.

#11 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

If he wins the HB, i see no need for him to play college next year. Unless his team has a significant chance of winning the 'Ship next year, i don't see a reason for him to stay, once you win everything you can at a certain level, it's time for a new and improved challenge.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#12 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

Nyquist and Smith are both 1-2 in the Hobey Baker race!
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#13 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

I can really see him in a wings jersey in some years... He, Tatar and also Ferraro given the potential and bloodline..really good offensive prospects

Don't forget that one Czech guy in the OHL, I remember seeing him play a bit in the World Juniors and he was impressive as well. Along with Smith, Kindl and the other few goalies, the wings have a very bright future.

Don't forget that one Czech guy in the OHL, I remember seeing him play a bit in the World Juniors and he was impressive as well. Along with Smith, Kindl and the other few goalies, the wings have a very bright future.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#14 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

I am very excited about Nyquist he has been lighting it up for Maine this year. 1.65 points per game as a sophmore! I just wish he played in the CCHA so I could go watch him live.
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#15 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

... :blink: I don't get it.

#16 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:21 AM

... :blink: I don't get it.

Sorry, I was referring to Andrej Nestrasil, couldn't remember the spelling of his last name
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#17 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

Sorry, I was referring to Andrej Nestrasil, couldn't remember the spelling of his last name

Holy crap you're right. How could I forget about him? Jeeez.

Well he did get bumped down to the bottom six, which is part of the reason why he isn't scoring as much, which is why some have lost track on his progress and why we haven't heard all that much about him recently.

#18 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

Nestrasil feels like another kopecky imo

#19 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

Nestrasil feels like another kopecky imo

:blink:

Where do you get that impression?

#20 beez35

beez35

Alex #37

• Gold Booster
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

I have a quick question. I live over in England, so I don't ever hear much about the Red Wings prospects, draft picks, or the Griffins etc. Where's the best place to get that sort of info?!

Thanks a bunch :)

Posted Image