Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Do we release Ozzie after this season...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:20 AM

Considering it looks like Howie is our man from here out, as confused as many of you i still believe Howard will be started in the playoffs but that doesn't mean he`ll be keeping the role as starter in the playoffs because we all know how intense it gets. But at the end of the playoffs when everything is done and dry, do we keep Ozzie as a backup ? please ignore my spelling\grammer errors as i never was the greatest :P Just looking for opinions..

#2 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

Osgood is probably the best backup goalie any team can have.

#3 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

Osgood is probably the best backup goalie any team can have.

Don't think thats the role he wants though. He's not gonna be getting the time he wants in goal ever again IMO.

Edited by ShanahanMan, 12 March 2010 - 01:41 AM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#4 AIK'91

AIK'91

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:42 AM

Even if we wanted to, we couldn't simply release him. It would have to be a waive/trade/buy-out since he still has another year on his contract.

Besides, at a cap hit of just roughly 1.4M, what would be the point? We would still need to add another goalie--be it Daniel Larsson or some UFA.

And most importantly, I don't get how so many fans want to rid the team of Ozzie. I don't want to start a debate here, but despite his regular season play after winning the Cup, this guy's only been arguably the league's best playoff goalie the past two seasons. It's not like he's a negative influence in the locker room. So even if Howard gets the nod in the playoffs (which right now looks pretty likely if we make it), we still have a Stanley Cup winner to come in relief. He showed last year that he can turn on a switch come April. Perhaps if he gets in a few games this next month, he could do the same if called upon later.

Edited by AIK'91, 12 March 2010 - 01:48 AM.

#5 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:46 AM

Its hard to imagine Osgood getting much playing time from here on out, but he won't be released. He'll chart face-offs for 1.4 mil a year and get the occasional game.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#6 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:53 AM

Even if we wanted to, we couldn't simply release him. It would have to be a waive/trade/buy-out since he still has another year on his contract.

Besides, at a cap hit of just roughly 1.4M, what would be the point? We would still need to add another goalie--be it Daniel Larsson or some UFA.

And most importantly, I don't get how so many fans want to rid the team of Ozzie. I don't want to start a debate here, but despite his regular season play after winning the Cup, this guy's only been arguably the league's best playoff goalie the past two seasons. It's not like he's a negative influence in the locker room. So even if Howard gets the nod in the playoffs (which right now looks pretty likely if we make it), we still have a Stanley Cup winner to come in relief. He showed last year that he can turn on a switch come April. Perhaps if he gets in a few games this next month, he could do the same if called upon later.

I never said i wanted to get rid of him, if anything i love him at times...but. Howard has played outstanding and my question does Ozzie have anything left in him.

#7 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:01 AM

I never said i wanted to get rid of him, if anything i love him at times...but. Howard has played outstanding and my question does Ozzie have anything left in him.

To be a capable backup? Of course.

Posted Image

#8 AIK'91

AIK'91

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:01 AM

Sorry, my bad. I though you meant literally 'release' as in get rid of.

As to whether Ozzie has anything left in him, the only way we'd really know this season is if Howard falters down the stretch somehow. Given the standings, I'm not really sure I want to know.

#9 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:26 AM

Sorry, my bad. I though you meant literally 'release' as in get rid of.

As to whether Ozzie has anything left in him, the only way we'd really know this season is if Howard falters down the stretch somehow. Given the standings, I'm not really sure I want to know.

I just think if he does not start in the playoffs and Howard continues to outplay him they might go in that direction..

#10 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:18 AM

Considering it looks like Howie is our man from here out, as confused as many of you i still believe Howard will be started in the playoffs but that doesn't mean he`ll be keeping the role as starter in the playoffs because we all know how intense it gets. But at the end of the playoffs when everything is done and dry, do we keep Ozzie as a backup ? please ignore my spelling\grammer errors as i never was the greatest :P Just looking for opinions..

Nope. Ozzie is essentially Mike Vernon now. What he is doing for Howard is a big part of Howard's success mentally.

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

I don't know if he'd want to come back here after the way this season has gone.

He and Babcock aren't the best of buds right now.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#12 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

I'm not very big on either goalie. Nor do I feel comfortable that Howard can be consistent enough to be a full time #1. I think it would be ideal if we could get them working better in tandem and sharing the load more evenly but Osgood's play this year has moved things in this direction. Osgood won't be going anywhere, who would want him really? But if he can pick his play back up to be able to rotate the 2 we will be fine... right now they both stink, just one stinks worse then the other.

#13 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

No.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#14 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

I can't see the Red Wings releasing Ozzie. He is a great teammate, mentor to Howard, and he has given so much to the Red Wings organization to those of us here who don't only think in the short-term past. I was at the game last night and Ozzie was messing around with Bertuzzi during the pre-game and you can tell the other players love having Ozzie around. Looking beyond whatever personal issues Ozzie and Babcock have, Ozzie has been nothing but professional throughout this season. The best goalie in the past two playoff runs and people want to toss him away despite the fact he has started ONE time since Christmas. If nothing else, there is no other goalie I want to step in should (hopefully not) Jimmy Howard falter down the stretch.

I have said my part before on how I believe Babcock mishandled the goalie situation this season very badly. I almost don't want Ozzie to start another game because I don't want to hear people bash him if he has one "bad" start and Babcock goes back to Howard like every other occasion this season.

Either way, I want Ozzie to get 400 wins in a Red Wings uniform because he absolutely deserves that. I don't like the way it has ended for Ozzie, but I am thankful for all of the great moments he brought to the Red Wings.

Edited by GoWings1905, 12 March 2010 - 01:38 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#15 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

Osgood stays. He'll recover from this season. Remember, it's rare to have a goalie that is consistently good from their rookie year to their second. Howard may very well be terrible next season and the team needs a real backup plan. I'd rather have Ozzie who we know bounces back when he struggles (at least when given the chance) as a backup.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#16 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

Ozzie's a great backup. I don't see any reason to get another one.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#17 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

I don't know if he'd want to come back here after the way this season has gone.

He and Babcock aren't the best of buds right now.

This.

If anything, it will be Ozzie who asks to be traded. But I can't see that happening either.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#18 Cheveldae32

Cheveldae32

OFD

• Gold Booster
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

His time had passed but for all he has done for this team and this city I don't think you will see him released. The same goes for Drapes and Malts, these 3 guys wont ever be released but you can bet that behind the scenes management is giving them the nudge before a difficult decision has to be made about their futures. Too many good young players in the organization that need playing time.

#19 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

Assuming Ozzy wants to continue playing I'm not sure why you'd go with someone else for the back-up position. Chris is used to being a back-up and can teach Howie a lot about being a goalie for the Wings as well as being a great teammate.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#20 DMAC 25

DMAC 25

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

i'll have a for sure answer when we see how he does in the playoffs, given it doesnt mean that howie wont play but lets say we have another incident like hasek and ozzy comes back in. if he plays like crap during the playoffs then no but if he plays awsome then of course re-sign him