• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Off the Post

Do we release Ozzie after this season...

Rate this topic

Considering it looks like Howie is our man from here out, as confused as many of you i still believe Howard will be started in the playoffs but that doesn't mean he`ll be keeping the role as starter in the playoffs because we all know how intense it gets. But at the end of the playoffs when everything is done and dry, do we keep Ozzie as a backup ? please ignore my spelling\grammer errors as i never was the greatest :P Just looking for opinions..

Osgood is probably the best backup goalie any team can have.

Don't think thats the role he wants though. He's not gonna be getting the time he wants in goal ever again IMO.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Even if we wanted to, we couldn't simply release him. It would have to be a waive/trade/buy-out since he still has another year on his contract.

Besides, at a cap hit of just roughly 1.4M, what would be the point? We would still need to add another goalie--be it Daniel Larsson or some UFA.

And most importantly, I don't get how so many fans want to rid the team of Ozzie. I don't want to start a debate here, but despite his regular season play after winning the Cup, this guy's only been arguably the league's best playoff goalie the past two seasons. It's not like he's a negative influence in the locker room. So even if Howard gets the nod in the playoffs (which right now looks pretty likely if we make it), we still have a Stanley Cup winner to come in relief. He showed last year that he can turn on a switch come April. Perhaps if he gets in a few games this next month, he could do the same if called upon later.

Edited by AIK'91

Even if we wanted to, we couldn't simply release him. It would have to be a waive/trade/buy-out since he still has another year on his contract.

Besides, at a cap hit of just roughly 1.4M, what would be the point? We would still need to add another goalie--be it Daniel Larsson or some UFA.

And most importantly, I don't get how so many fans want to rid the team of Ozzie. I don't want to start a debate here, but despite his regular season play after winning the Cup, this guy's only been arguably the league's best playoff goalie the past two seasons. It's not like he's a negative influence in the locker room. So even if Howard gets the nod in the playoffs (which right now looks pretty likely if we make it), we still have a Stanley Cup winner to come in relief. He showed last year that he can turn on a switch come April. Perhaps if he gets in a few games this next month, he could do the same if called upon later.

I never said i wanted to get rid of him, if anything i love him at times...but. Howard has played outstanding and my question does Ozzie have anything left in him.

I never said i wanted to get rid of him, if anything i love him at times...but. Howard has played outstanding and my question does Ozzie have anything left in him.

Sorry, my bad. I though you meant literally 'release' as in get rid of.

As to whether Ozzie has anything left in him, the only way we'd really know this season is if Howard falters down the stretch somehow. Given the standings, I'm not really sure I want to know.

Sorry, my bad. I though you meant literally 'release' as in get rid of.

As to whether Ozzie has anything left in him, the only way we'd really know this season is if Howard falters down the stretch somehow. Given the standings, I'm not really sure I want to know.

I just think if he does not start in the playoffs and Howard continues to outplay him they might go in that direction..

Considering it looks like Howie is our man from here out, as confused as many of you i still believe Howard will be started in the playoffs but that doesn't mean he`ll be keeping the role as starter in the playoffs because we all know how intense it gets. But at the end of the playoffs when everything is done and dry, do we keep Ozzie as a backup ? please ignore my spelling\grammer errors as i never was the greatest :P Just looking for opinions..

Nope. Ozzie is essentially Mike Vernon now. What he is doing for Howard is a big part of Howard's success mentally.

I'm not very big on either goalie. Nor do I feel comfortable that Howard can be consistent enough to be a full time #1. I think it would be ideal if we could get them working better in tandem and sharing the load more evenly but Osgood's play this year has moved things in this direction. Osgood won't be going anywhere, who would want him really? But if he can pick his play back up to be able to rotate the 2 we will be fine... right now they both stink, just one stinks worse then the other.

I can't see the Red Wings releasing Ozzie. He is a great teammate, mentor to Howard, and he has given so much to the Red Wings organization to those of us here who don't only think in the short-term past. I was at the game last night and Ozzie was messing around with Bertuzzi during the pre-game and you can tell the other players love having Ozzie around. Looking beyond whatever personal issues Ozzie and Babcock have, Ozzie has been nothing but professional throughout this season. The best goalie in the past two playoff runs and people want to toss him away despite the fact he has started ONE time since Christmas. If nothing else, there is no other goalie I want to step in should (hopefully not) Jimmy Howard falter down the stretch.

I have said my part before on how I believe Babcock mishandled the goalie situation this season very badly. I almost don't want Ozzie to start another game because I don't want to hear people bash him if he has one "bad" start and Babcock goes back to Howard like every other occasion this season.

Either way, I want Ozzie to get 400 wins in a Red Wings uniform because he absolutely deserves that. I don't like the way it has ended for Ozzie, but I am thankful for all of the great moments he brought to the Red Wings.

Edited by GoWings1905

Osgood stays. He'll recover from this season. Remember, it's rare to have a goalie that is consistently good from their rookie year to their second. Howard may very well be terrible next season and the team needs a real backup plan. I'd rather have Ozzie who we know bounces back when he struggles (at least when given the chance) as a backup.

His time had passed but for all he has done for this team and this city I don't think you will see him released. The same goes for Drapes and Malts, these 3 guys wont ever be released but you can bet that behind the scenes management is giving them the nudge before a difficult decision has to be made about their futures. Too many good young players in the organization that need playing time.

i'll have a for sure answer when we see how he does in the playoffs, given it doesnt mean that howie wont play but lets say we have another incident like hasek and ozzy comes back in. if he plays like crap during the playoffs then no but if he plays awsome then of course re-sign him

As long as he doesn't start spouting to the media again I have no issues with bringing him back.

He's really doing well with Howard, and hopefully still has some goaltending left in the tank from last playoffs and a few of his good game this year.

They won't buy him out or release him I don't think. He could retire but we'll see on that. I still think he can be solid #2 for this team. Maybe better but it's hard to tell when you can't get him into more than one game because you need the wins so bad.

Edited by StevieY9802

Jimmy has had the benefit of a mentor in Osgood all year. He probably owes some of his "growth" to that fact (like Helm and Drapes). However that being said Osgood as a backup is laughable. He is shaky at best and looks like he doesn't care one way or another when scored on. He might be able to come in and win a few games, but we need to be realistic about if Jimmy can play 70+ games a year, consistently. Babs even said that Ozzie has helped Jimmy in more ways then you can tell. And that right there is our solution.

We will not cut Ozzie, so we're stuck with him. He's a better coach and adviser than player at this point in his career. Ozzie has been great in and for the Wings. Maybe Ozzie can play for a few games next season, go on IR, retire and then everyone wins. Take a page from Malts perhaps. We get more cap space for a goalie/defense and Ozzie gets the farewell he deserves.