• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Off the Post

Do we release Ozzie after this season...

Rate this topic

Jimmy has had the benefit of a mentor in Osgood all year. He probably owes some of his "growth" to that fact (like Helm and Drapes). However that being said Osgood as a backup is laughable. He is shaky at best and looks like he doesn't care one way or another when scored on. He might be able to come in and win a few games, but we need to be realistic about if Jimmy can play 70+ games a year, consistently. Babs even said that Ozzie has helped Jimmy in more ways then you can tell. And that right there is our solution.

We will not cut Ozzie, so we're stuck with him. He's a better coach and adviser than player at this point in his career. Ozzie has been great in and for the Wings. Maybe Ozzie can play for a few games next season, go on IR, retire and then everyone wins. Take a page from Malts perhaps. We get more cap space for a goalie/defense and Ozzie gets the farewell he deserves.

I agree that Ozzie has been good in a mentoring role for Howard, but I disagree with your assessment of his play, he hasn't been completely useless, though he has not been playing up to his ability when he has gotten the chance.

I still think Osgood has a season or two left in him, and I would like to see him finish his career in Detroit, maybe he can platoon with Howard next year like he did with Conklin last year. I understand why Babcock has played Jimmy as much as he has, it's sink-or-swim time for him and he has stepped up, but now that that has been established, Osgood needs to get a start or two before the playoffs so that he is not completely rusty if we need to call upon him.

Realistically, I do not see the Red Wings waiving him or buying out his contract, loyalty still counts for something in Hockeytown (see Maltby)

I agree that Ozzie has been good in a mentoring role for Howard, but I disagree with your assessment of his play, he hasn't been completely useless, though he has not been playing up to his ability when he has gotten the chance.

I still think Osgood has a season or two left in him, and I would like to see him finish his career in Detroit, maybe he can platoon with Howard next year like he did with Conklin last year. I understand why Babcock has played Jimmy as much as he has, it's sink-or-swim time for him and he has stepped up, but now that that has been established, Osgood needs to get a start or two before the playoffs so that he is not completely rusty if we need to call upon him.

Realistically, I do not see the Red Wings waiving him or buying out his contract, loyalty still counts for something in Hockeytown (see Maltby)

Granted Osgood isn't completely useless, but based on his play this year, he has been sub-par. He always says that he steps up his game come time for the playoffs, except that this year is different. We are on the bubble for a playoff spot, not the division or conference as we've become accustomed to. If the season was different (i.e.-more points, wins, etc) than im fine with Osgood but we dont have that luxury anymore. The Wings have crashed down to reality and the reality that what once was good enough to win a few years ago, isnt even good enough to currently make the playoffs. I have confidence in Jimmy but we need a reliable backup if he falters. How many "Holy s*** Osgood is playing out of his mind" playoff/seasons does he have left? Honestly?

I agree Ozzie will retire a Red Wing, but i just hope that the "rust" Ozzie needs to shake off come the end of the season/start of the postseason happens in 1-2 games. Otherwise the whole city and LGW community will be all over him.

Hardest position in Detroit Sports: Wings goalie, Lions QB

Easiest position in Detroit Sports: Wings back-up goalie, Lions back-up QB

Hardest position in Detroit Sports: Wings goalie, Lions QB

Easiest position in Detroit Sports: Wings back-up goalie, Lions back-up QB

Don't get me started about the Lions QB thing. I know Scott Mitchell, he lives here in Orlando now and I see him at church all the time, and he hates talking about his time in Detroit, says he has never felt so unappreciated in all of his life.

Back to hockey, I am glad that Howard has been able to man up and earn his spot, especially with how shaky Osgood has been this season, and I feel that the starting job is Howard's to lose even going into the playoffs, but it would be completely irresponsible to keep Osgood on the bench completely until then.

F**K that THAT

This is the first time I've ever taken any sort of stance for or againt a goaltender in the "modern=era" of the Red Wings... and I'm *NOT* talking about the years that I used to listen to the game in the third period on a clock radio from my bedside after cub-scout meetings. (DEAD-WINGS ERA)

Chris Osgood has been a solid goal-tender for umpteen years with the Wings, outside of the Wings, and beyond... but the guy is DONE. (if only you could see how hard I punched D O N E)

It's just the way it is...

I love the guy. He was the guy to go to...

I HATED VERNON.

HATED HASEK.

BUT...

Howard needs a chance... he's getting it and he needs a capable backup...

If Osgood doesn't realize that's he's role at this point... well, **** him.

I love this team and hate this team in the same breath because of it's goaltender situation, which has existed for as long as I can remember... if no one else wants to recognize that... SO BE IT.

(hopefully you can all smile when I return to sobriety and excuse this outburst... but it's LONG overdue.)

EDIT: Drunken spelling and the *leep*** of the word THAT

again, I plead for the forgiveness of drunken posting.

Edited by e_prime

F**K that THAT

This is the first time I've ever taken any sort of stance for or againt a goaltender in the "modern=era" of the Red Wings... and I'm *NOT* talking about the years that I used to listen to the game in the third period on a clock radio from my bedside after cub-scout meetings. (DEAD-WINGS ERA)

Chris Osgood has been a solid goal-tender for umpteen years with the Wings, outside of the Wings, and beyond... but the guy is DONE. (if only you could see how hard I punched D O N E)

It's just the way it is...

I love the guy. He was the guy to go to...

I HATED VERNON.

HATED HASEK.

BUT...

Howard needs a chance... he's getting it and he needs a capable backup...

If Osgood doesn't realize that's he's role at this point... well, **** him.

I love this team and hate this team in the same breath because of it's goaltender situation, which has existed for as long as I can remember... if no one else wants to recognize that... SO BE IT.

(hopefully you can all smile when I return to sobriety and excuse this outburst... but it's LONG overdue.)

EDIT: Drunken spelling and the *leep*** of the word THAT

again, I plead for the forgiveness of drunken posting.

How can you be Red Wings fan and "HATE" Red Wings players??? Mystery to me...

How can you be Red Wings fan and "HATE" Red Wings players??? Mystery to me...

Okay. I never HATED THEM.

...but I've never liked the BUYING of goaltenders.

EDIT: ...and I TOLD YOU I'M DRUNK!

Edited by e_prime

I don't know how we can really judge Osgood's play this season. He's barely had a chance to play and when he has, the team is struggling, which I know isn't an excuse but it's not also a reason to blame him for a loss. I think that the goalie situation this year has been very unfair. I understand Babcock wanting to play the hot goalie, but I know that Ozzie started a couple games and got the win. But did he get the start next game? No. He hasn't had a chance to prove himself and yet everyone is saying he's done.

I think that he has no problem being a mentor to Howard. He's got enough confidence in himself that he'll accept whatever role the Wings want him to take, he may not be happy with it but I'm sure he'll do it because he knows it's best. Ozzie has had a great career with the Wings, but of course everyone only remembers the bad stuff because it's happening right now. I'm proud of him anyway.

I don't know how we can really judge Osgood's play this season. He's barely had a chance to play and when he has, the team is struggling, which I know isn't an excuse but it's not also a reason to blame him for a loss. I think that the goalie situation this year has been very unfair. I understand Babcock wanting to play the hot goalie, but I know that Ozzie started a couple games and got the win. But did he get the start next game? No. He hasn't had a chance to prove himself and yet everyone is saying he's done.

B-O-O H-O-O. This is EXACTLY the time for a Hall of Fame goaltender to pull some solid performances out of his ass. Sitting on it, or otherwise.

Like I said earlier this evening, the puck in is his end. He either makes the save or he doesn't...

(wow, that's a really bad analogy, but how fitting?)

I love Osgood. It's time for him to prove his worth or sit. Plain. Simple. Done.

whatchoo' know about that?!?!?!

(OMG. I'm am going to regret these post tomorrow... and yet... wont' =D

Edited by e_prime

B-O-O H-O-O. This is EXACTLY the time for a Hall of Fame goaltender to pull some solid performances out of his ass. Sitting on it, or otherwise.

Like I said earlier this evening, the puck in is his end. He either makes the save or he doesn't...

I love Osgood. It's time for him to prove his worth or sit. Plain. Simple. Done.

Not going to argue with a drunk. But, how exactly can he prove himself when he's not given any chances to actually plays some games consistently. That was my original point, he has not had a chance to play or prove his worth this season.

Nah. His last two regular seasons (well 1 fully, this one it's hard to be 100% fully accurate) have been a lot left to be desire, but he has shown he was incredibly stellar the past two seasons when it mattered most.

Always underappreciated, but he did win. Did he benefit some from great Red Wing teams? Of course. But he also won more than he lost with St. Louis and the ISlanders and well, and those teams weren't as good as the Wings either. And for the Osgood haters, please don't respond to me with stats or he lets in softies. Haters are going to hate and I'm not going to change your mind, nor should you try to change mine.

Whether he ever gets the #1 job back here ever this season or after, who knows, but I hope he retires later than sooner, I still want him around for another few years if he doesn't get a major injury.

Maybe when your drunken state subsides, you'll realize that proving yourself from the bench is damn near impossible. He can't stop the puck if he never starts.

That's why we have Osgood.

Forgot you were on this forum, I'll have to be more specific for you. We need another goalie that doesn't suck to play with Howard.

Doc, don't derail this thread like you do every other goalie one. You've had your say on the subject now let others do the same. You don't need to respond to every single post that doesn't share your opinion.

IMO if Osgood wasn't under contract for next year he wouldn't be coming back, but since he is were stuck with him unfortunately.

Edited by Pucks

Forgot you were on this forum, I'll have to be more specific for you. We need another goalie that doesn't suck to play with Howard.

Doc, don't derail this thread like you do every other goalie one. You've had your say on the subject now let others do the same. You don't need to respond to every single post that doesn't share your opinion.

That's why we have Osgood.

And I don't derail the threads, and haven't been responding to every negative post. Hooray.

Release him and still have his $1.4M count against the cap? That would be pointless... Osgood will be the backup net season, play occasionally and get his 400 wins and then quietly retire a Red Wing (which he earned) and as possibly the BEST Goalie to ever play in Detroit (at least stat-wise.)