• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings7

Thoughts After Wings v Wild Game

Rate this topic

Can we please end the Lebda v Ericsson debate now? Lebda is a much better option. He brings a different element to the table (speed), and has shown/proven when he plays with a defensive-minded defenseman, he is a great asset out there.

Probably Filp and Z's best game this season. Babcock and LGW posters might have been on to something with that line change...Let's hope it continues (the productivity, not the changing of the line combinations)

Howard looked solid. If and when Ozzie comes back, what risk is there versus reward? Will the team play tentatively? Will Ozzie play deep in his goal? We can't afford to lose games now (that's pretty obvious) but Howard is certainly going to need a break at some point, or will he?

Good win. Nashville just lost; 5-8. Calgary won.

Bring on Buffalo. Next game hopefully next win.

Guest Crymson

Can we please end the Lebda v Ericsson debate now? Lebda is a much better option. He brings a different element to the table (speed), and has shown/proven when he plays with a defensive-minded defenseman, he is a great asset out there.

Probably Filp and Z's best game this season. Babcock and LGW posters might have been on to something with that line change...Let's hope it continues (the productivity, not the changing of the line combinations)

Howard looked solid. If and when Ozzie comes back, what risk is there versus reward? Will the team play tentatively? Will Ozzie play deep in his goal? We can't afford to lose games now (that's pretty obvious) but Howard is certainly going to need a break at some point, or will he?

Good win. Nashville just lost; 5-8. Calgary won.

Bring on Buffalo. Next game hopefully next win.

Ericsson is, at this stage, a liability. The Wings cannot take risks for now. I think he should be benched for the rest of the season.

Had a solid game, but at times Lilja looked like a man who has missed a year. Not knocking him as he's getting his stride and looking like he's really going to get back into it again (think how much video he must/could have watched in his time off and thought of improvements). But all around solid game. Also think Rafi's Olympic run did him some good, looks like a leader on every shift which, paired with Lids, means something good for our shaky defence.

Solid game last night; Hank looked good, and I hope he can keep playing at that level for the rest of the season.

Lebda/Lilja have some chemistry; unfortunately for Ericsson he'll be sitting the remainder of this season.

I'd love for both Osgood and Ericsson to get some games, but at this point there is such little room for error that you have to go with the more proven players at this point.

I had the same thoughts about the Lilja/Lebda pairing. Lilja's stay-at-home style actually worked well with Lebda's Forward-esque defensive stylings and prevented a lot of the out-of-position type giveaways that the Lebda/Ericsson pairing seemed to result in.

I don't disagree that Lebda has been better than Ericsson, but he's still a long, long way from 'great asset'. :) 'Not a liability' is about the best you can say about him.

It's just too bad we can't send E down to GR. I think he just needs to get some confidence back. He has top 4 (maybe even top pair) ability, we just have to find out how to bring it out again.

Lebda/Lilja have some chemistry; unfortunately for Ericsson he'll be sitting the remainder of this season.

That's what it comes down to, honestly. And while Andreas won't make ALL players that play with him better (Ericsson being a prime example), it seems to work with Lebda. Yeah, sure, Lebda's still prone to his boneheaded mistakes, ill-timed pinches, etc. but now he has Lilja on the back end to cover for those potential errors, making such plays less dangerous and in some cases, even beneficial. It allows Lebda to take more chances, knowing that he has a capable D-man with him.

EDIT: And with that, I shall edit my sig to remove 'BENCH LEBDA'. I've been a vocal Lebda basher this year, but Lilja's return has made a world of difference in his play on the ice.

Edited by edicius

if you look back at like the last 7 games right now...when Lebda is in we win. When Ericcson is in we lose. I think when big rig is out playing his shifts the forwards playing during his shifts have to do a ton of running around the defensive zone. which is extra tiring and ruins momentum. his decision making is extremely poor and he doesnt track the puck well. FACTS gotta love em.

I don't disagree that Lebda has been better than Ericsson, but he's still a long, long way from 'great asset'. :) 'Not a liability' is about the best you can say about him.

It's just too bad we can't send E down to GR. I think he just needs to get some confidence back. He has top 4 (maybe even top pair) ability, we just have to find out how to bring it out again.

Lebda's speed and ability to move the puck with both his legs is an asset. It's a different style of defense from anyone else we have. He was all over the ice (in a good way) last night. He is an asset when playing with the right personnel. That's my point. With Lilja back, it's a no brainer for me - play Lebda.

Guest Crymson

Lilja and Lebda have played together a great many times. When paired, they form a fairly good 3rd defensive line. Separate, they're not quite as good. Ericsson can't compare to either at this stage. Playing him is simply a poor proposition, given what's on the line right now. If the Wings were in the race for the President's Trophy rather than for a playoff spot, giving Ericsson playing time would make sense. As is, they don't have that luxury.

Lilja and Lebda have played together a great many times. When paired, they form a fairly good 3rd defensive line. Separate, they're not quite as good. Ericsson can't compare to either at this stage. Playing him is simply a poor proposition, given what's on the line right now. If the Wings were in the race for the President's Trophy rather than for a playoff spot, giving Ericsson playing time would make sense. As is, they don't have that luxury.

This^

Going back to '08, Lilja/Lebda is a reliable 3rd D pairing, they compliment each other better than Ericsson/Lebda or Ericsson/Lilja. Unfortunately, Ericsson appears to have lost any confidence in his game and looks like he has reverted back to his youth when he played forward, which we cannot afford right now. Not saying it's time to give up on him, I still think he has top 4 skills when on his game, but he obviously hasn't been on his game and is a liability to the team's chances of extending their season right now, and for that reason he has to sit.

Guest Crymson

This^

Going back to '08, Lilja/Lebda is a reliable 3rd D pairing, they compliment each other better than Ericsson/Lebda or Ericsson/Lilja. Unfortunately, Ericsson appears to have lost any confidence in his game and looks like he has reverted back to his youth when he played forward, which we cannot afford right now. Not saying it's time to give up on him, I still think he has top 4 skills when on his game, but he obviously hasn't been on his game and is a liability to the team's chances of extending their season right now, and for that reason he has to sit.

Lilja and Lebda have been paired together as far back as '06.

Lebda's speed and ability to move the puck with both his legs is an asset. It's a different style of defense from anyone else we have. He was all over the ice (in a good way) last night. He is an asset when playing with the right personnel. That's my point. With Lilja back, it's a no brainer for me - play Lebda.

my thoughts exactly. Ericsson has played like a gooftball all season.bench him.

Lebda has been better than E for a while now. And while it would be nice to put in E with his size and potential, let's be honest, Lebda is a better choice. E will be good, probably a top 4 d-man, but not with so few games left, and with so much on the line. Stick with what works...a la Howard. E is getting close to the point that if he doesn't develop like the organization wants him/expects him to do, dare I say shop him around the league. If we do have to cut bait, at least do it while he has untapped "potential." Overall, Lebda's speed and offensive prowess far outweighs E and his befuddled, almost lethargic appearance at times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for E and would love to see him stay and become great with a winged wheel on his chest. The only question I have is: When is enough, enough? That answer ultimately lies within the organization, and that is where my trust remains.

Edited by NotTooAbby

I'd love for both Osgood and Ericsson to get some games, but at this point there is such little room for error that you have to go with the more proven players at this point.

this.

if we were in, say, third place, i'd be more in favor of giving ozzie and ericsson some starts. but when every game is nearly a must-win, you have to go with who's getting it done *right now*.