• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

3/13 GDT: Sabres 2 at Red Wings 3 (OT)

Rate this topic

That's one rule that I don't understand. Why should the play be blown dead when puck hits the mesh?

When you think about it, players have a better chance of recognizing/predicting where the puck is going to land when it hits the mesh than they do when it hits a stanchion.

Not that I don't recognize the fact that the net is protection and not part of the rink....just sayin'.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

How would you explain the boards and the glass then? Without them the puck would be out of play...

The boards and the glass are considered in-play while the netting is not.

Guest mindfly

Uh-huh and why is that then? What's the logic behind the fact that glass is considered in-play and mesh is not?

Because the glass is part of a hockey rink, the net is not, really logical.

What a s***ty hooking call

I love how Mickey says it was a hooking call, and yet some fans here think it was crappy. Personally, I take more into what he says because he knows the game. I think it was a good penalty to take. Otherwise, Vanek has a wide open chance.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Uh-huh and why is that then? What's the logic behind the fact that glass is considered in-play and mesh is not?

There would be about 1,000 stoppages in play if the glass was considered out of play. That's the logic. You must imagine the net as being invisible and not being an extension of the glass or the area of play.

How would you explain the boards and the glass then? Without them the puck would be out of play...

Do they have the nets up over the end glass in European leagues?

The nets were mandated because a few years ago (pre-lockout don't remember the exact year) a little girl was hit by a puck that deflected over the high glass behind the goal and it was still traveling fast enough to kill her. The idea was that the net is there to protect the fans from flying pucks, but it did not change the part of the arena that is in play, it is as though the puck cleared the glass and ended up in the seats. The rub is that every now and then the refs don't see the puck hit the mesh and instead of blowing the play dead they allow it to continue, and it has led directly to goals against at least twice this season.

The net is there to prevent tragedies like what happened to Brittany Cecil at a Blue Jackets game in Columbus, Ohio.

I know why the mesh is there. Please, read what I'm writing before you post...

Because the glass is part of a hockey rink, the net is not, really logical.

Oh, come on. Why is it so hard to understand that what I want to know here is why isn't mesh considered part of the rink? It's not like glass or boards can't be removed or that the glass has always been there.