• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Marty Barry

New All Star Game format

Rate this topic

This is an interesting idea being tossed around. Sounds like it will be a little more than just North America vs. The World as we've had in previous All Star games. But, in attempting to put his fingerprint on it and take any credit, Buttman will probably screw it up. I kind of like the idea, but it sounds like it may be more than just one game, which I'm not to crazy about. Any ideas on how they could go about this and add some excitement to a very boring game?

The NHL is thinking long and hard about coming up with a better concept for the mundane All-Star Game, which we were spared this year thanks to the Olympics.

One idea floating around in the NHL head office is to somehow give an international hockey feel to feed off the Vancouver experience, possibly staging some form of a mini-World Cup. I stress this is very conceptual at this point, but still interesting nonetheless.

Speaking on international hockey, I'm told the Russians have recently approached Hockey Canada about staging a Summit Series in 2012 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the '72 classic. The Russians also want it to be best on best, so it would be Sidney Crosby & Co. versus Alex Ovechkin & Co. Of course, the NHL and NHL Players' Association would have to sign off on it, and I'm not sure there's an appetite for it at this point.

What about USA Hockey and Hockey Canada getting together with the NHL and NHLPA to do some form of series with top players? Given the recent gold-medal game in Vancouver, why not capitalize on the burgeoning rivalry between Team USA and Team Canada? Food for thought.

LeBrun

I've always thought divisional all-stars would be cool. With the current 6-division setup, it would require a three-round tournament.

So figure it works like this:

Division teams are ranked 1-6 based on out-of-division winning percentages from all five teams' records combined.

Teams 1 and 2 get byes into round two. Team 3 plays team 6, and 4 plays 5. Teams are reseeded in Round 2.

Rounds 1 and 2 follow the following rules:

Rosters have 9 forwards, 5 defensemen, and 2 goalies. Teams play two 20 minute periods (with goalie swap each period if there are no injuries), followed by a standard OT and shootout if necessary.

Once teams reach round 3, they may name an additional 3 forwards, 1 defensemen, and 1 goalie. Teams play a standard 3 20 minute periods (with goalie swap each period if there are no injuries), followed by a standard OT and shootout if necessary.

The All-Star break would proceed as follows:

Last game before break is on Tuesday. Skills competition is on Thursday evening. Round 1 is Friday evening. Round 2 is Saturday evening. Round 3 is Sunday evening.

Obviously, some adjustments could be made to this format, but this could work out as far as the 'tournament' idea.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Get rid of the all-star game and just name all-star teams. Everybody gets a nice little award.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

eva unit zero the whole point of changing allstar weekend would be to gain more fans in the wake of an outstanding olympics. your system is way too confusing. allstar games are boring not because of the players but because the players have no reason to go out there and play hard. I doubt you'll find anyone willing to play hard in a mini playoff in the middle of an 82 game season for nothing at all

How about having the Penguins play every year against an All-Star team comprised of the best players from around the league?

:hehe:

And the winner receives the Crosby Cup! And the MVP gets the Most Crosbiest Players Trophy! I love it!