• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Jimmy Howard has shown a little sloppiness in his play lately. I understand that if the Wings make the playoffs, that Osgood will start... or will he? Is he even in game shape (mentally) at the current moment?

That said, I think Jimmy has a terrific shot at the Calder Trophy, especially with all of the talk of Tyler Myers and John Tavares. I think he'll be a BIG reason the Wings get there, and like Blackhawk fans wondering if Niemi gets the nod over Huet, does Babcock give Jimmy Howard a playoff start?
Hockeytown - No Limits

#2 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

As much as I like Osgood, I have to think that Babcock goes with Howard as the #1 the rest of the way, including - if we make them - the playoffs. If Jimmy falters at that point, we have a Stanley Cup winning goaltender to fall back on. I don't foresee Ozzie getting any more than perhaps two more starts this season. He'll have to wait until next season to get his 400 wins.

Quenneville would be stupid to play Huet over Niemi in the playoffs, seeing as Huet doesn't have playoff success in the first place - how much worse could Niemi be, even as an unknown postseason quantity? But this is Joel Quenneville we're talking about, so anything could happen with them.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#3 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

Never.

Okay, maybe not never but he is not in the position to play a game. It is Howard or bust.

Posted Image

#4 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

Osgood starts when Howard has a horrid game and loses.

#5 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

Or when Howie's let in 4 goals after two periods and Babcock throws him out there for s***s and giggles.

#6 lilja4mvp

lilja4mvp

i hate you all

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

hopefully never.

#7 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

In a weak moment; the commitment to Howard has been made. Or, in the event of... I'm not even going to say it.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#8 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Maybe @ vancouver? the next back-to-back game.

#9 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

Maybe @ vancouver? the next back-to-back game.

This would be interesting... I'm thinking send Ozzie in against the Oilers (if he loses to them, well... no need fore playoffs, our dignity is gone)

Although, Howard's worst games seem to come against the Canucks... at least those I remember (5-4 W and 6-3L) so maybe try the near guarantee win with him in on Friday, send Ozzie to strut his stuff on Saturday.

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

He'll have to play one of these games to give Howard rest, but no way is he the playoff goalie, after doing nothing to help the team get to the playoffs.

Babcock has stated that Howard is the number one guy and has acted like it.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

I'm not ready to throw Ozzie under the bus yet. A lesson learned a long time ago.

#12 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

Best time to start Ozzie is against Edmonton on Friday considering that Ozzie hasn't played in what seems like forever.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!, 14 March 2010 - 04:04 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#13 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

I think he will play one of the upcoming games against the Oilers, likely Friday. There is an outside chance that he starts against the Pens (Eastern opponent) but even that does not seem too realistic.

#14 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

I think he will play one of the upcoming games against the Oilers, likely Friday. There is an outside chance that he starts against the Pens (Eastern opponent) but even that does not seem too realistic.

I hope Max Talbot doesn't play in that game.

:D
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#15 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

As much as I like Osgood, I have to think that Babcock goes with Howard as the #1 the rest of the way, including - if we make them - the playoffs. If Jimmy falters at that point, we have a Stanley Cup winning goaltender to fall back on. I don't foresee Ozzie getting any more than perhaps two more starts this season. He'll have to wait until next season to get his 400 wins.

Quenneville would be stupid to play Huet over Niemi in the playoffs, seeing as Huet doesn't have playoff success in the first place - how much worse could Niemi be, even as an unknown postseason quantity? But this is Joel Quenneville we're talking about, so anything could happen with them.

And he showed his stupidity in 2008 when he stuck with Theodore in Colorado even when the Wings were shelling him. Remeber that playoff series? Franzen scored 9 goals in 4 games and Quenville refused to bench Theodore. He said repeatedly "he was the one that got us here so I'm sticking with him".

Quenville and Huet, the reason that Chicago won't go far...
Do or do not. There is no try

#16 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

I hope Max Talbot doesn't play in that game.

:D

I hope Brad Stuart doesn't play in that game. :D I'm kidding, Talbot will s*** his pants when he sees Lilja!

#17 DangleDangle13

DangleDangle13

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

Ozzie's going to have to play at some point this year. I'm pretty sure Howard will be the starter through the playoffs. You can sort of look at it like Team Canada in the Olympics; the incumbent loses his job to the second-stringer, second-stringer then plays good enough to help the team reach the championship game. Now, I can see why people might think "go back to the proven veteran, the guy who's been here and done it before" but I guess Babs doesn't think that way, because as we all know Luongo was in goal for the gold medal game.

#18 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

We are going to play the hot goalie. Ozzy will get his chance, if he plays well he is in the next game. Ozzy just blows every chance he gets, so we go back to Howie.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

I'd expect to see Osgood play one of these back-to-back games on Friday/Saturday, but unless Howard just falls off the face of the planet where he alone loses the team a game, then there's no reason to yank him as he's still been pretty solid lately overall, sans the Vancouver game where everyone was pretty much bad.

#20 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

Vancouver?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."