• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zion

When Does Osgood Start?

Rate this topic

Jimmy Howard has shown a little sloppiness in his play lately. I understand that if the Wings make the playoffs, that Osgood will start... or will he? Is he even in game shape (mentally) at the current moment?

That said, I think Jimmy has a terrific shot at the Calder Trophy, especially with all of the talk of Tyler Myers and John Tavares. I think he'll be a BIG reason the Wings get there, and like Blackhawk fans wondering if Niemi gets the nod over Huet, does Babcock give Jimmy Howard a playoff start?

As much as I like Osgood, I have to think that Babcock goes with Howard as the #1 the rest of the way, including - if we make them - the playoffs. If Jimmy falters at that point, we have a Stanley Cup winning goaltender to fall back on. I don't foresee Ozzie getting any more than perhaps two more starts this season. He'll have to wait until next season to get his 400 wins.

Quenneville would be stupid to play Huet over Niemi in the playoffs, seeing as Huet doesn't have playoff success in the first place - how much worse could Niemi be, even as an unknown postseason quantity? But this is Joel Quenneville we're talking about, so anything could happen with them.

Maybe @ vancouver? the next back-to-back game.

This would be interesting... I'm thinking send Ozzie in against the Oilers (if he loses to them, well... no need fore playoffs, our dignity is gone)

Although, Howard's worst games seem to come against the Canucks... at least those I remember (5-4 W and 6-3L) so maybe try the near guarantee win with him in on Friday, send Ozzie to strut his stuff on Saturday.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Best time to start Ozzie is against Edmonton on Friday considering that Ozzie hasn't played in what seems like forever.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

I think he will play one of the upcoming games against the Oilers, likely Friday. There is an outside chance that he starts against the Pens (Eastern opponent) but even that does not seem too realistic.

I hope Max Talbot doesn't play in that game.

:D

As much as I like Osgood, I have to think that Babcock goes with Howard as the #1 the rest of the way, including - if we make them - the playoffs. If Jimmy falters at that point, we have a Stanley Cup winning goaltender to fall back on. I don't foresee Ozzie getting any more than perhaps two more starts this season. He'll have to wait until next season to get his 400 wins.

Quenneville would be stupid to play Huet over Niemi in the playoffs, seeing as Huet doesn't have playoff success in the first place - how much worse could Niemi be, even as an unknown postseason quantity? But this is Joel Quenneville we're talking about, so anything could happen with them.

And he showed his stupidity in 2008 when he stuck with Theodore in Colorado even when the Wings were shelling him. Remeber that playoff series? Franzen scored 9 goals in 4 games and Quenville refused to bench Theodore. He said repeatedly "he was the one that got us here so I'm sticking with him".

Quenville and Huet, the reason that Chicago won't go far...

Ozzie's going to have to play at some point this year. I'm pretty sure Howard will be the starter through the playoffs. You can sort of look at it like Team Canada in the Olympics; the incumbent loses his job to the second-stringer, second-stringer then plays good enough to help the team reach the championship game. Now, I can see why people might think "go back to the proven veteran, the guy who's been here and done it before" but I guess Babs doesn't think that way, because as we all know Luongo was in goal for the gold medal game.

We are going to play the hot goalie. Ozzy will get his chance, if he plays well he is in the next game. Ozzy just blows every chance he gets, so we go back to Howie.

I'd expect to see Osgood play one of these back-to-back games on Friday/Saturday, but unless Howard just falls off the face of the planet where he alone loses the team a game, then there's no reason to yank him as he's still been pretty solid lately overall, sans the Vancouver game where everyone was pretty much bad.

Guest mindfly

I hoep osgood gets the start against a somewhat weaker team in edmonton rather than the hottest team in the west...