• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

I'd say it's likely he will be suspended but probably a game or two.

Reason is, Cooke's penalty was dirty, but not a penalty, as much as I'd like to have seen his ass fry. This was a clear boarding call that was highly dangerous and, more pertinently, against the rules. It got a major for boarding and Ovechkin was booted from the game. There's really nothing to defend here. The only saving grace from suspension could be that Campbell did get up on his own and Ovechkin missed a huge chunk of the game when he was ejected.

And cjm502, given there's a collective bargaining agreement and legal technicalities are involved, the NHL would never win with executing a rule in ex post facto like that. So no, they can't suspend Cooke still if they want.

Edited by Shoreline, 14 March 2010 - 04:01 PM.

#22 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#23 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

OK. Here's why he won't get a suspension.

another "expert"

#24 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

Wow, I'm all for phyiscal play but yet another example unfortuantely of needing to learn when to let up.

#25 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

To be fair, Cooke's hit was open-ice and didn't involve his elbow, so there's no rule against it.

Ovi was given a major for boarding—which he definitely did—and a game misconduct. There's a huge difference between the two plays when it comes to the rules of the game.

The biggest problem I had with the bulls*** Cooke non-suspension is that he's known around the league for his dirty head-shots and is always taking liberties with other players. On top of that the hit itself was incredibly dirty-- whether there's a rule for it or not doesn't make the hit any more reasonable. And yes, you can suspend someone for something they didn't get penalized for on the ice!

Given that this is Ovi's second boarding suspension I think he deserves a game suspension even though the Cooke non-suspension is complete horses***.

Edit
According to Puck Daddy the repeat offender thing isn't a concern:

When a player or goalkeeper has played in 41 consecutive regular League games without being assessed a boarding and/or a checking from behind major and a game misconduct according to Rules 42 and 44, he will have the previous game misconduct penalties removed from his current record. They will remain part of his historical record.

Edited by Drake_Marcus, 14 March 2010 - 07:30 PM.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#26 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

i see alot off people saying that Ovie should be the face of the league not Sid.

here is the question who do you want to rep the NHL if your the boss you've got

Ovie: Great player arugably the best but he tends to have lapses in judgement and he doesnt always show concern for other players. Some ppl even say he is borderline dirty

Sid: another great player but he is a bit of a whiner and he doesnt always show respect for other players

and youve got to remember you have to attract new fans so i really dont think at this point in both their careers neither is the optimal choice to market

So i say Bettman should market Lebda. Lebda action figures FTW

#27 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

Didn't someone recently get a 4 game suspension for essentially the identical play? Can't remember who.

#28 Pens Guy

Pens Guy

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

Didn't someone recently get a 4 game suspension for essentially the identical play? Can't remember who.

Yeah it was Lapierre of the Canadians.

And I think there is a rule that if someone gets 2 major boarding calls in season, they are automatically suspended one game. And OVy already has a major boarding call this year for that hit on Kaleta.

#29 HanKarin40

HanKarin40

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

I think you are referring to the hit on Scott Nichol by Maxim Lapierre. The same thing came to mind when I saw Ovie's hit on Campbell. Very identical. I don't have a problem with Ovie getting tossed or a suspension, but there was no call made in game on Lapierre. This league seriously has to get it's s*** together and start being consistent in the penalties that are called. Geez

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,666 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

i see alot off people saying that Ovie should be the face of the league not Sid.

here is the question who do you want to rep the NHL if your the boss you've got

Ovie: Great player arugably the best but he tends to have lapses in judgement and he doesnt always show concern for other players. Some ppl even say he is borderline dirty

Sid: another great player but he is a bit of a whiner and he doesnt always show respect for other players

and youve got to remember you have to attract new fans so i really dont think at this point in both their careers neither is the optimal choice to market

So i say Bettman should market Lebda. Lebda action figures FTW

They should market Stamkos if he continues this meteoric rise.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

They should market Stamkos if he continues this meteoric rise.

I think Stamkos would work or maybe even Tavares

as a side note you see Stamkos hit on Cooke

Edited by pockets, 14 March 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#32 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

OK. Here's why he won't get a suspension.

another "expert"

Intriguing technicality.

And we all know how selective the league can be when it comes to "automatic" suspensions...

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#33 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

Intriguing technicality.

And we all know how selective the league can be when it comes to "automatic" suspensions...

Automatic Suspensions:
See the "Malkin Rule"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#34 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

It doesn't help that the NHL refuses to suspend him no matter what he does.

lolwut?

I think that would be Malkin. Hes untouchable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPM0rzunm4c

+ the no suspension for the instigator rule among other things

#35 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, but that player wasn't the best player in the league. Ovi is. And if there's one thing we know about the NHL is that they have a two-tiered system.

Intriguing technicality.

Did you read the article? It lists the rule that states Ovi can't have the auto-suspension applied to him because the infraction occurred more than 41 games apart.

Also, am I the only guy who remembers how many extremely dangerous and highly irresponsible hits Messier did? The NHL named a frigging leadership award after him based solely on his famous NY Cup promise and have completely ignored how dirty he was.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#36 puckhog419

puckhog419

M.I.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

I don't believe it was a dirty hit, but it wasn't necessary from that spot on the ice. Ovechkin is a big guy and uses his weight but he needs to know that he could end someone's career with one hard hit like that.

But you just don't put the third letter of the alphabet over your heart and replace Steve Yzerman!

#37 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:48 PM

Also, am I the only guy who remembers how many extremely dangerous and highly irresponsible hits Messier did? The NHL named a frigging leadership award after him based solely on his famous NY Cup promise and have completely ignored how dirty he was.

Funny how its the exact same hits Cooke makes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmfMQ8wx5k0

#38 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

Now let's all be real. Anyone remember this?

#39 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

TSN reporting the Campbell is DONE for the season. Broken clavicle and ribs. Wonder if that will have any bearing on a suspension.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314096
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#40 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:43 AM

Actually he has already been suspended once this year and received a game misconduct today. Dunno where this 'NHL refusal' is that you speak of.

Now Malkin in the playoffs last season , THAT was a "refusal" that is still hilarious to think about...