• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jaymister

Ovie ejected

Rate this topic

I'm an Ovechkin fan, and i can see this hit both ways. When i saw it live it looked innocent enough and i just figured ovechkin just had to much speed and campbell suprised him when he slowed down and ovechkins momentum just took them both into the boards. But after watching the replays you see him completely throw campbell at the boards. Intentional or not, i think something should be done. Ive been saying it for a while, Ovechkin plays to wreckless and i see a bad injury in his future if he doesnt start playing smarter physically, but right now he is hurting other people with his wrecklessness. Im in noway saying that he headhunting out there, i just think he plays a very hard physical game and sometimes he is just to wreckless. Dont get me wrong, i like physical players and am not saying eliminate physical play from the game (cough bettman cough) but there is a fine line between grinding, hard play and just pure wreckless abandonment.

With that said, Chicago looks like a very vulnerable team going into playoffs. Their goaltending is questionable and now they just lost their 2nd best defenceman. Luckily they can score a little, eh? I wouldnt mind seeing them in the first round if we get in.

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer

The other angle on this story is that Campbell might be done for the season.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/03/15/sp-nhl-take-5-campbell-ovechkin.html

If, as some people have suggested, people should be suspended for the length of time the player they injure is out, then that would have knocked two teams down a peg in the hunt for the Cup.

I say he gets three and gets put on double secret probation. One more dangerous hit-related game misconduct and it's season-ending time for him.

The OTHER favorite angle on LGW is - who was Chicago's tough guy on the ice at the time (Byfuglien? Brouwer? Eager?) and, knowing the dangerousness of the hit and the reaction of Campbell, why didn't said tough guy do anything about the hit?

Definitely a dirty play, and suspension worthy in my book. I personally reached that conclusion by imaging the NHL's reaction had the situation been reversed and Campbell ended Ovie's season with a "hit" from behind. Brian Campbell would already be suspended 5 games!

I love AO's passion for the game, but he's gotta use that noggin a little more.

Holy f***! Why must you do these things Ovie??

Brutal... such a dangerous hit. It was like Campbell had a huge target on his back that Ovi was aiming for all the way down towards the boards.

Suspend him.. gotta give him a real punishment so he starts understanding that sometimes he has to let up.

Thank you! Seriously I cannot believe people on here saying that was a clean hit? Its was f***ed is what it was, way way to many of those kind of hits happening at full speed in the corners and on the end boards! They have to do something before someone breaks there neck!

The OTHER favorite angle on LGW is - who was Chicago's tough guy on the ice at the time (Byfuglien? Brouwer? Eager?) and, knowing the dangerousness of the hit and the reaction of Campbell, why didn't said tough guy do anything about the hit?

No one went after Cooke when he destroyed Savard recently either.

I don't know if I'd call it a "hit" but I do agree this is where the respect thing comes into play.

Some of you are making this a much bigger deal that it is though. Richards or Cooke's hit was way dirtier IMO and are hits definitely lacking in respect.

Good on the Caps for coming back to win that game though, why can't the Wings ever pull something like this off?

I agree that the Richards and Cooke hit were dirtier but at the time the wasnt a rule against those kind of hits.

Its like going 100 mph down a speed limitless road is it smart? no safe? no illegal? no

Ovies hit there is a rule that says you cant do this so thats why people are making a big deal about it

Plus they were about to get a huge power play why screw that up. The best revenge is to win.

Hockey players have long memories. someone will take a run an Ovie next game.

And they'll get knocked on their ass most likely.

i do think it was a hit deserving of a penalty but not a game misconduct or a suspension there has been far worse hits lately with no such action. I disagree with the refs today

His illegal hit from behind ended Campbell's season! Players must be held accountable for their actions and Ovechkin has had many dirty hits. Would everyone's opinion be different if he did the same thing to Kronwall or Stuart or would it remain the same because its Ovechkin?

Just heard that too. And Cooke got nothin'!

Not sure I understand the point. The incidents are completely different. Cooke's hit was not against the rules and for which there was a precendent of no suspension on similar incidents (this will change in the future).

Ovechkin's hit was against the rules and a precedent was set last week whereby Lapierre was suspended for 4 games...so getting only 2 games is lucky if you ask me.

Not sure I understand the point. The incidents are completely different. Cooke's hit was not against the rules and for which there was a precendent of no suspension on similar incidents (this will change in the future).

Ovechkin's hit was against the rules and a precedent was set last week whereby Lapierre was suspended for 4 games...so getting only 2 games is lucky if you ask me.

Cooke's hit is easily intent to injure, which is probably where most of the outrage comes from. I guess it depends on which "rule" you wanna cite?

While I don't think this "hit" was as bad from the outset, it certainly, by rule is not allowed and Ovie should get what he gets (especially since Cambell really was hurt and Ovie is a repeat offender.)

esteef

Edited by esteef

Not really sure anything the NHL makes any sense. I wouldn't mind the suspension if it actually meant some consistency in the rules, however, I know this wont be the case. Certain players/teams will still be allowed to do whatever they want with no repercussions.

I don't see this hit as suspension worthy, but I understand that he has a shaky history of hits, and they are trying to prevent him from doing it again.

I just think there needs to be consistency.

Edited by hooon

Cooke's hit is easily intent to injure, which is probably where most of the outrage comes from. I guess it depends on which "rule" you wanna cite?

While I don't think this "hit" was as bad from the outset, it certainly, by rule is not allowed and Ovie should get what he gets (especially since Cambell really was hurt and Ovie is a repeat offender.)

esteef

I agree on Cooke's hit, it was dirty and I think it should be suspendable, but I guess I agree that it's not against the rules and they didn't suspend Richards, so...

On the Ovechkin hit, they just suspended a guy for the same thing for 4 games, so I don't see how they wouldn't suspend him. When I first saw the Lapierre hit, I wondered why he would get 4 games for it, but the more you look at it, it is a very dangerous play that could result in very, very serious injuries.

Because Maxim Lapierre is French-Canadian. Or at least, that's how La Presse will spin it.

Two games isn't quite as much as I wanted, but is still a hit to the Caps - who came back against Chicago and won without him anyway.

BTW, if anyone hasn't figured out from the Malkin instigator in last year's final that there's a different system of justice to the star players than to the Lapierres of the league, it may be too late to save them.

Interesting comment from Boudreau:

While McPhee would not comment, Capitals head coach Bruce Boudreau was furious with the decision.

"If this was Sidney Crosby doing this, everybody outside of Pittsburgh would have cried foul: 'Suspend him for the year,"' Boudreau told the Capitals team website, Caps365 on Monday. "I don't think it does the game any good to have Alex suspended."

What is he actually trying to say here? Is he saying people outside of Pittsburgh would want Crosby out to give their team a better chance of winning and it's the same for Ovechkin? I'm really confused.

What I did get from the comment though is that he almost thinks Ovechkin should get a free pass because he's a star and it's not good for the game to suspend him.

Interesting comment from Boudreau:

What is he actually trying to say here? Is he saying people outside of Pittsburgh would want Crosby out to give their team a better chance of winning and it's the same for Ovechkin? I'm really confused.

What I did get from the comment though is that he almost thinks Ovechkin should get a free pass because he's a star and it's not good for the game to suspend him.

Yeah, I have no idea what Boudreau is talking about. Bringing Crosby's name into the discussion makes no sense. Did Crosby get a free pass on a boarding based suspension? No. So where's the comparable? You have to play a physical game to get in trouble for hitting. :lol:

esteef

"Intent to injure" cannot be used in the Cooke case considering there is no rule against headshots/blindside hits yet. "Intent to Injure" can only be used on illegal hits to add discipline, not to be used for legal hits that are too hard.

Let's just hope the board of governors gets their stuff together and that rule can get in place asap.

Edited by Carman

Yeah, but that player wasn't the best player in the league. Ovi is. And if there's one thing we know about the NHL is that they have a two-tiered system.

Did you read the article? It lists the rule that states Ovi can't have the auto-suspension applied to him because the infraction occurred more than 41 games apart.

Yup, I did, thus the "intriguing technicality" comment. The second comment was just commenting on how selective the league is with "automatic" suspensions anyway.

Also, am I the only guy who remembers how many extremely dangerous and highly irresponsible hits Messier did? The NHL named a frigging leadership award after him based solely on his famous NY Cup promise and have completely ignored how dirty he was.

Oh yep. Him and Scott Stevens both. The league has a weird memory when it comes to things like that.