• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:58 AM

Holy f***! Why must you do these things Ovie??

Brutal... such a dangerous hit. It was like Campbell had a huge target on his back that Ovi was aiming for all the way down towards the boards.

Suspend him.. gotta give him a real punishment so he starts understanding that sometimes he has to let up.

#42 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

Dangerous hit by Ovie, but he's the anti-Crosby. Of course he will be suspended.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#43 Datsasuk

Datsasuk

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

I am so sick of this guy doing whatever he wants. He should get 10 games!

#44 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

Dangerous hit by Ovie, but he's the anti-Crosby. Of course he will be suspended.

Not sure what this means at all. What are you implying? He's the anti-Crosby, so he will be suspended? Does that imply that Crosby has avoided suspensions for some reason or another?

Ovechkin has been very lucky when it comes to suspensions, he's only been suspended once, while he has committed several borderline plays (not saying he should have been suspended for all of them, but to only have one suspension is lucky). If they suspend him for this, I think it would make sense, they just suspended Lapierre for 4 games for basically the same thing. I'm not sure how they avoid suspending based on that, but I worry that they will not suspend and explain it away in that the boarding call rule doesn't apply because there was 41 games in between, blah, blah, blah, but that would be missing the fact that this play "alone" is suspendable and they already showed that by suspending Lapierre for 4 games. Lapierre had no previous suspensions either, Ovechkin has the one (I think he avoided suspensions in teh past because he wasn't a repeat offender....which is always curious if you never suspsend, then you're never a repeat offender, but that's a different discussion).

#45 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

Not sure what this means at all. What are you implying? He's the anti-Crosby, so he will be suspended? Does that imply that Crosby has avoided suspensions for some reason or another?

Ovechkin has been very lucky when it comes to suspensions, he's only been suspended once, while he has committed several borderline plays (not saying he should have been suspended for all of them, but to only have one suspension is lucky). If they suspend him for this, I think it would make sense, they just suspended Lapierre for 4 games for basically the same thing. I'm not sure how they avoid suspending based on that, but I worry that they will not suspend and explain it away in that the boarding call rule doesn't apply because there was 41 games in between, blah, blah, blah, but that would be missing the fact that this play "alone" is suspendable and they already showed that by suspending Lapierre for 4 games. Lapierre had no previous suspensions either, Ovechkin has the one (I think he avoided suspensions in teh past because he wasn't a repeat offender....which is always curious if you never suspsend, then you're never a repeat offender, but that's a different discussion).

Crosby's TEAM has avoided suspensions and punishments (Malkin, Cooke). Ovechkin, while a true sniper and exciting player, is excessively reckless. I don't believe him to be a dirty player, but rather that he loves playing hockey and sometimes his competitiveness gets the better of him.

Although I can see how some people would consider Crosby's ass fisting to be cause for concern.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#46 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

From TSN :

The National Hockey League has scheduled a disciplinary hearing with Washington Capitals superstar Alexander Ovechkin to review his actions in Sunday's overtime victory over the Chicago Blackhawks.

It was Ovechkin's third game misconduct of the season. He was handed a game misconduct on Nov. 26 for a hit against Buffalo's Patrick Kaleta, and three days later received another for hitting Carolina's Tim Gleason below the knees.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 15 March 2010 - 12:38 PM.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#47 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

There is no question Ovechkin is probably the best player in the league right now, but he does some pretty stupid stuff. I guess every player has their flaws.

True dat. On another note. I think Sidney Crosby should be suspended for Ovie's hit. I don't know why. I just think Sid should be suspended. :hehe:
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#48 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:50 PM

True dat. On another note. I think Sidney Crosby should be suspended for Ovie's hit. I don't know why. I just think Sid should be suspended. :hehe:

If that happens, you can be sure that the Apocalypse is upon us.

Either that or Brett Hull becomes commissioner.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 15 March 2010 - 12:50 PM.

#49 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

I don't know if I'd call it a "hit" but I do agree this is where the respect thing comes into play.

Some of you are making this a much bigger deal that it is though. Richards or Cooke's hit was way dirtier IMO and are hits definitely lacking in respect.

Good on the Caps for coming back to win that game though, why can't the Wings ever pull something like this off?

#50 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

I could care less if he gets suspended im just tired of every one (more than just LGW forums) calling every hit / injury in the NHL these days dirty,gutless,classless. Wheres the suspension? etc.... Hockey is a physical sport. s*** happens players get hurt. Its not always intentional.

#51 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

I'm an Ovechkin fan, and i can see this hit both ways. When i saw it live it looked innocent enough and i just figured ovechkin just had to much speed and campbell suprised him when he slowed down and ovechkins momentum just took them both into the boards. But after watching the replays you see him completely throw campbell at the boards. Intentional or not, i think something should be done. Ive been saying it for a while, Ovechkin plays to wreckless and i see a bad injury in his future if he doesnt start playing smarter physically, but right now he is hurting other people with his wrecklessness. Im in noway saying that he headhunting out there, i just think he plays a very hard physical game and sometimes he is just to wreckless. Dont get me wrong, i like physical players and am not saying eliminate physical play from the game (cough bettman cough) but there is a fine line between grinding, hard play and just pure wreckless abandonment.

With that said, Chicago looks like a very vulnerable team going into playoffs. Their goaltending is questionable and now they just lost their 2nd best defenceman. Luckily they can score a little, eh? I wouldnt mind seeing them in the first round if we get in.

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer, 15 March 2010 - 01:57 PM.

#52 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

The other angle on this story is that Campbell might be done for the season.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...l-ovechkin.html

If, as some people have suggested, people should be suspended for the length of time the player they injure is out, then that would have knocked two teams down a peg in the hunt for the Cup.

I say he gets three and gets put on double secret probation. One more dangerous hit-related game misconduct and it's season-ending time for him.

The OTHER favorite angle on LGW is - who was Chicago's tough guy on the ice at the time (Byfuglien? Brouwer? Eager?) and, knowing the dangerousness of the hit and the reaction of Campbell, why didn't said tough guy do anything about the hit?

#53 Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Wings_Fan_In_Exile

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Definitely a dirty play, and suspension worthy in my book. I personally reached that conclusion by imaging the NHL's reaction had the situation been reversed and Campbell ended Ovie's season with a "hit" from behind. Brian Campbell would already be suspended 5 games!

I love AO's passion for the game, but he's gotta use that noggin a little more.
thanks offsides!

#54 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

Holy f***! Why must you do these things Ovie??

Brutal... such a dangerous hit. It was like Campbell had a huge target on his back that Ovi was aiming for all the way down towards the boards.

Suspend him.. gotta give him a real punishment so he starts understanding that sometimes he has to let up.

Thank you! Seriously I cannot believe people on here saying that was a clean hit? Its was f***ed is what it was, way way to many of those kind of hits happening at full speed in the corners and on the end boards! They have to do something before someone breaks there neck!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#55 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

The OTHER favorite angle on LGW is - who was Chicago's tough guy on the ice at the time (Byfuglien? Brouwer? Eager?) and, knowing the dangerousness of the hit and the reaction of Campbell, why didn't said tough guy do anything about the hit?

No one went after Cooke when he destroyed Savard recently either.

#56 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

Wow that sucks for Chicago :sly:

(yea I don't care, f*** the Blackhawks)

#57 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

No one went after Cooke when he destroyed Savard recently either.

Plus they were about to get a huge power play why screw that up. The best revenge is to win.
Hockey players have long memories. someone will take a run an Ovie next game.

#58 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

I don't know if I'd call it a "hit" but I do agree this is where the respect thing comes into play.

Some of you are making this a much bigger deal that it is though. Richards or Cooke's hit was way dirtier IMO and are hits definitely lacking in respect.

Good on the Caps for coming back to win that game though, why can't the Wings ever pull something like this off?

I agree that the Richards and Cooke hit were dirtier but at the time the wasnt a rule against those kind of hits.

Its like going 100 mph down a speed limitless road is it smart? no safe? no illegal? no

Ovies hit there is a rule that says you cant do this so thats why people are making a big deal about it

#59 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

Plus they were about to get a huge power play why screw that up. The best revenge is to win.
Hockey players have long memories. someone will take a run an Ovie next game.

And they'll get knocked on their ass most likely.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#60 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

And they'll get knocked on their ass most likely.

dudes not invincible.