Teams that Should Have Never Changed their Jerseys

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 Datsyuk Fan

Datsyuk Fan

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

I don't have an opinion on what they should be wearing, but the Wild's home jersey makes them look like elves.

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

I don't have an opinion on what they should be wearing, but the Wild's home jersey makes them look like elves.

I don't really mind their jersey, although it is odd that they basically ripped off the Timberwolves logo for their own idea.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,528 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

Just off the top of my head...

LA Kings should go back to their purple/gold combo.

Edmonton should stick with their 3rd jersey (actually it was their original color combo).

Alberta rival Calgary should also stick with their 3rd (original) jerseys.

Ottawa had nice sweaters when they 1st entered the league in the early 1990's; their logo now is more cartoonish, and their color scheme is rather poor.

Toronto as well needs to use their 3rd retro jersey full time...Their current sweaters look like something they'd wear for practice...Then if it were up to me - I'd also use their 1970's/1980's home, and away jerseys for "special" occasions - like when Wendel Clark is in town.

Edited by F.Michael, 14 March 2010 - 08:57 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#24 Wombat

Wombat

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

The Sabres are going back to the original jersey full time next year (supposedly), and making the slug the 3rd jersey. Hooray, it's probably the best jersey in the NHL!

This is what I think the Hurricane's jersey really should be...

Posted Image

#25 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

Ducks - Maybe if they had an actual logo, I wouldn't mind, but I prefer the green and purple colors to
these funeral parlor colors they have now. Also, I never saw what was wrong with that old logo
Sharks - Should have kept their original jerseys, but instead opted for those added black and white
stripes as well as some orange to go with it. Before that, they added grey to it, which was
also bad. The original was more plain, and much better to look at.

Stars - I wish they somehow kept the North Stars color scheme. Also, that uterus-like 3rd jersey logo
needs to be canned.

Coyotes - The old logo was terrible (what the hell was it!), but at least the colors were better with
purple, green, black and burgundy being there. Now they just have red and white jerseys
like everyone else. Also, that greyhound bus jersey is plain ugly.

Kings - Should have kept the black and white jerseys they wore during the Gretzky era.

Blues - Don't know why they added those yellow stripes a few years ago, because it was perfect up
until that point.

Flames - They should always wear the jerseys they wore in the 80's. Now it's their 3rd jersey I
believe, but it should be the primary ones.

Canucks - This may be unpopular, but I think they should wear the jerseys they wore in
the early 90's. You know the one's that were black, white and yellow. Also, make the
Flying-V the 3rd jersey (No I'm notf****** kidding).

Sabres - Why can't they just wear their original jerseys instead of this stupid swish bison logo?
Instead, they treat the original one as a 3rd jersey. Common scheme in my post where the
better option is treated as a 3rd jersey.

Penguins - The ones they wore in the early 90's were the best. Also, the ones they wore in the late
90's were good. Basically, the current color schemes look bland and boring, where beige is
used instead of yellow. And don't even get me started on that powder blue crap.

Flyers - Bring back the cooperalls baby!

Devils - I personally think they need to bring the green pants back into their jersey scheme.

Panthers - Another team that decided to add too many unnecessary stripes. Too many stripes is ugly to
look at, where their original jerseys were more plain but better to look at.

Hurricanes - Horrible jersey. For the longest time, I thought that their logo was a rose, until I
looked closer and saw that it was supposed to be a hurricane. I wish they somehow kept
the Whalers color scheme. Those were the best jerseys ever in sports.

Capitals - I like their current jersey, but I like the blue eagle one they wore before this better. I
wish they'd make it their road jersey or something.

So what do you guys think? Which ones would you change to the way it used to be?

Not sure on the colors but the reason that the logo changed was because of the ownership change. Disney was the original owner of the "Mighty Ducks", the logo was developed by Disney for the movie and the team, when Disney sold the ducks they retained the rights to Mighty Ducks, and the Logo... therefore they became just "Ducks" and had to develop a new jersey logo. Changing the colors was probably just an effort to further distance themselves from the previous design.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

I didn't know that.

Thanks for the info.

#27 Datsyuk Fan

Datsyuk Fan

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

I don't really mind their jersey, although it is odd that they basically ripped off the Timberwolves logo for their own idea.

I don't think they look bad, I just can't get elves out of my mind when I see them.

#28 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

The Sabres are going back to the original jersey full time next year (supposedly), and making the slug the 3rd jersey. Hooray, it's probably the best jersey in the NHL!

This is what I think the Hurricane's jersey really should be...

Posted Image

Lol @ that image, and I actually like Buffalo's primary jerseys this year, but I definitely think the old logo is awesome. They really do need to stop changing their design though...how many times has it been? 4?

And am I the only one in here that thinks that the wings could do with a subtle update to their design? I did this a while ago thinking they could use a couple of subtle white stripes along the sides and I'm still on the fence on how I feel about it. What do you think?
Posted Image

Edit: also, the subtle white neck ring. Ignore the black lines, they are just the seams.

Edited by lookalive07, 14 March 2010 - 10:01 PM.

Posted Image

#29 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

I personally think updating the jerseys are pretty kool and i good idea, but there is a board line..

#30 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

Posted Image

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:20 PM

Posted Image

I'm not familiar with that area of the country, but would Carolina Whalers have been a bad name?

That way they could have at least kept the jerseys or the jersey scheme even if they changed the logo.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 14 March 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#32 MannyK

MannyK

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Location:Brookline, MA (formerly Clinton Township / Ann Arbor, MI)

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

do you guys know about the site NHL Uniforms? http://www.nhluniforms.com/

it's awesome =)
Let's Go Wings!

#33 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:06 AM

Its all about the $

#34 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:00 AM

Not sure on the colors but the reason that the logo changed was because of the ownership change. Disney was the original owner of the "Mighty Ducks", the logo was developed by Disney for the movie and the team, when Disney sold the ducks they retained the rights to Mighty Ducks, and the Logo... therefore they became just "Ducks" and had to develop a new jersey logo. Changing the colors was probably just an effort to further distance themselves from the previous design.

Ah beat me to it! All I seem to ever remember from those films is Paul Kariya in the commentary booth at one point. On the topic of jerseys, you're lucky you don't watch British hockey: 1) it's pretty darn bad, 2) like most Euro leagues the jerseys are plastered with advertising! It ruins jerseys.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#35 Tane

Tane

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

the Uterus Jersey IS Canned.

You're Basically like me. You started watching hockey in the Early 90's, and think every team should go back to what they wore when you started watching.

I'll go the Opposite way, and name off the teams I think made GOOD Changes, because, like you, I think that in 1991, Everybody had Perfect Jerseys. Somehow, the marketing Geniuses of 20 years ago NAILED it, and they've done nothing but ruin hockey since.

(I've gotten to the point where I have to accept the fact that Hockey, as are other sports, is an evolving, ever changing, ever growing organism. To take a snapshot in time and wish it could always be a certain way, is unrealistic, And what the "good old days" are to us, these will be the good old days to todays generation, who 20 years from now are going to miss That Uterus)

Dallas. I can't believe I'm saying this, as I was firmly against the Basketball logo when I first seen it.But after seeing it on the ice a few times, I actually like it. It's a good colour scheme, that they don't over complicate. I don't think any other team should use it, but i don't mind it being the identity of 1 team. I think i just really hated the all star jerseys they wore from 99-07 that, for me, any change was a welcome one.

Edmonton - going back to the 80's, love it.

LA - I like their 3rd Jersey. I also liked it when they used their Purple/Gold as their 3rd jersey.

Philly - Glad they went back to the Orange as their Dark. Didn't mind the black as a 3rd, but Philly should always be orange.

Phoenix - I like what they've got. They look like a hockey team. I don't like their 3rds. What they had before was terrible. Bad logo, bad design on the lower part of the jersey, and one of the worst 3rd jerseys I've ever seen.

Pittsburgh - Good job going back to the old logo, didn't like the 3rd jersey that became their primary darks. Sometimes a 3rd jersey works well as a 3rd jersey, and should Stay a 3rd jersey. It seems like every time a 3rd gets popular, teams have to make it a primary.

St.Louis - One of the few new designs I like, and maybe the best 3rd in the league.

Tampa Bay. I don't know why, but I really really like their whites. It's a good colour scheme, it's sleek and it's simplified. One of only a few teams where losing the bottom stripes works.

Vancouver - Hated their 99-97 look. Terrible colours. Just terrible. I'd prefer the Black/Yellow/Orange colours, but this is better than what they had. Just ugly colours.

Washington. I didn't mind the eagle jerseys at all....actually liked them. But I hated that parliament building one they used. Bad colours, bad logo. Again, a 3rd jersey that people liked, and they went overboard with it.

Nashville - One of the Jerseys I've liked the Least, looks better with what they've done with it. it's simpler, it's smooth, and i think the Grey, Blue and yellow work better together like this. Also a big fan of their 3rds, and I've heard that they're going with the thirds, and a white version as their primaries next year. One of the few cases where I'd prefer it.

Edited by Tane, 15 March 2010 - 07:25 AM.

#36 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:09 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

These five teams looked like they picked up their new sweaters for 2007 at the corner sports store, they all look the same with those stripes down the side.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#37 Cheveldae32

Cheveldae32

OFD

• Gold Booster
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

I just hope we never have to see Montreal's red white and blue barber pole looking uniforms ever again, no logo just stripes=Fugly.
While were on the topic of uniforms, would anyone else like to see us rock out the winter classic jerseys every now and again?????? Its also impressive that Detroit has stuck to its roots and remains 1 of 2 teams to only have 2 colors on their jerseys (Toronto being the other)

#38 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

Tradition people. I hope to never see the Wings make changes to their uni.

Tradition is why a the Hawks sold jerseys when they stunk the joint up. It's why a team like the Tigers could be in the top 5 in the market when their team was losing 100 games a year.

If it's a good design, and they don't f*** with it, any generation can say that's what they looked like when I started watching hockey.

Instant recognition shouldn't be taken lightly.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#39 AARedWingFan

AARedWingFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

Ducks - Maybe if they had an actual logo, I wouldn't mind, but I prefer the green and purple colors to
these funeral parlor colors they have now. Also, I never saw what was wrong with that old logo

Sharks - Should have kept their original jerseys, but instead opted for those added black and white
stripes as well as some orange to go with it. Before that, they added grey to it, which was
also bad. The original was more plain, and much better to look at.

Stars - I wish they somehow kept the North Stars color scheme. Also, that uterus-like 3rd jersey logo
needs to be canned.

Coyotes - The old logo was terrible (what the hell was it!), but at least the colors were better with
purple, green, black and burgundy being there. Now they just have red and white jerseys
like everyone else. Also, that greyhound bus jersey is plain ugly.

Kings - Should have kept the black and white jerseys they wore during the Gretzky era.

Blues - Don't know why they added those yellow stripes a few years ago, because it was perfect up
until that point.

Flames - They should always wear the jerseys they wore in the 80's. Now it's their 3rd jersey I
believe, but it should be the primary ones.

Canucks - This may be unpopular, but I think they should wear the jerseys they wore in
the early 90's. You know the one's that were black, white and yellow. Also, make the
Flying-V the 3rd jersey (No I'm notf****** kidding).

Sabres - Why can't they just wear their original jerseys instead of this stupid swish bison logo?
Instead, they treat the original one as a 3rd jersey. Common scheme in my post where the
better option is treated as a 3rd jersey.

Penguins - The ones they wore in the early 90's were the best. Also, the ones they wore in the late
90's were good. Basically, the current color schemes look bland and boring, where beige is
used instead of yellow. And don't even get me started on that powder blue crap.

Flyers - Bring back the cooperalls baby!

Devils - I personally think they need to bring the green pants back into their jersey scheme.

Panthers - Another team that decided to add too many unnecessary stripes. Too many stripes is ugly to
look at, where their original jerseys were more plain but better to look at.

Hurricanes - Horrible jersey. For the longest time, I thought that their logo was a rose, until I
looked closer and saw that it was supposed to be a hurricane. I wish they somehow kept
the Whalers color scheme. Those were the best jerseys ever in sports.

Capitals - I like their current jersey, but I like the blue eagle one they wore before this better. I
wish they'd make it their road jersey or something.

So what do you guys think? Which ones would you change to the way it used to be?

Ducks: I thought the old jerseys were a little funny looking, so I welcomed the change to the "Ducks" jerseys.

Sharks: I'm not really a fan of any of their jerseys, but I don't like teal... But the old one is definitely better than the one they are using now.

Stars: Yea their 3rd is rough. I didn't mind their first jerseys in Dallas. I guess I don't have much opinion either way here...

Coyotes: They went from worse to bad, but at least it's an improvement.

Kings: Agree with the black and silver - Gretzky era ones. Those looked great. I also like the purple and gold ones, as they look more "kingly," I guess, but I think the black and silver beats that one in sharpness.

Blues: They have never really looked bad to me.

Flames: I like their old ones better, but their new ones are not bad.

Canucks: I didn't like the black and yellow, so I think the new ones are better, but I'm still not a fan.

Sabres: I like their current thirds, but the buffa-slug is pretty dumb. Also, the balck, red, and white wasn't bad, but the originals and their current 3rds are definitely the best. They are the only ones that actually have a "saber" on the logo, unless I'm missing something.

Penguins: Need to go back to their black with yellow trim. The baby blues need to be gathered and burned.

Flyers: I like the originals and current ones. Anything orange.

Devils: I like them without the green pants. Black and red is all they need. I mean, they need to look devilish.

Panthers: Need to not exist...

Hurricanes: Need to go back to Hartford and re-adopt their green jerseys.

Capitals: I actually like their current ones the best. The teal with the eagle didn't do anything for me.

#40 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

the ducks had to change their jerseys, colors, and team name because disney owned the rights to them and they wanted to seperate themselves from a sometimes brutal sport. fighting and physical play is not always good for little kids.

you guys who like the green in the devils jersey must be high. why would the devil wear xmas colors?
Crosby is a crybaby *****