• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

Wings Fatigued from the Last Few Playoff Runs?

Rate this topic

Either last night or a few games ago, Mickey Redmond said something about the Wings likely being tired because of all the playoff games they've played the last few years, and how they've played more games than anyone else.

That got me thinking. In the mid 90's, this team was making long playoff runs every year, yet I don't remember them being too tired to win games consistently the following year? Also, this team can't be any older than those teams we had in the 90's. Those teams had lots of veterans on them.

So does anyone else not buy this argument about the team being too tired? There are many reasons for why we are in this position this year, but I don't think fatigue is one of the main ones, or else we wouldn't have the dominance that we had in the 90's.

For that matter, you could say that about any other dynasty that made long playoff runs every year like the Isles and Oilers.

It's an excuse, just like any other one.

It's not an excuse that I'm going to accept.

They are professionals.

Playing 82 games PLUS multiple rounds in the playoffs is what they are paid to do.

I don't think any of the Wings players would accept this as an excuse either.

:ph34r: The Red Wing teams in the 90's had a higher % of Canadian players - therefore they had more heart, and a desire to win unlike todays heartless Euro based squad :ph34r:

Seriously though...I dunno what to think...I'm certain the long playoff runs these past few years have had their effect, but like some have pointed out - these guys are pros, and they should be used to the rigors of the game.

Well, I'm glad one of my enforcers on LGW said it for me. :D

This is an excuse. They had most of June, all of July, and most of August to rest. Two months is plenty. Also, what about the Pens? They had playoff runs just as long as ours, and they are doing fine this year. This whole excuse just makes it sound like a high school hockey team that is barely conditioned. These are professional athletes.

its not an excuse if it's true...

just sayin

I can't think of a three year span where they made the Conference Finals or Stanley Cup Finals in a row. They have usually been all the way or get out in the first or second round. I don't think all the guys who were injured for long periods this year should be tired, but certain guys like Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Stuart have logged a lot of tough minutes this year, because they have had to make up for players out. Those guys have the right to be tired.

I don't think the tired thing is valid when talking between different seasons. As said above, these guys get 2 months to rest up their bodies so I don't think that excuse is totally valid. I do think there can be some mental fatigue, as that can last a pretty long time if you can't shake it during summer vacation.

If they are tired, I think it has more to do with the compacted schedule and them having to do western conference travel. Not really different than any other year.

I can't think of a three year span where they made the Conference Finals or Stanley Cup Finals in a row. They have usually been all the way or get out in the first or second round. I don't think all the guys who were injured for long periods this year should be tired, but certain guys like Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Stuart have logged a lot of tough minutes this year, because they have had to make up for players out. Those guys have the right to be tired.

From 95 to 98, they made three Stanley Cup Finals appearances and an appearance in the WCF in 96.

Other dynasties have had even longer runs than that.

I don't think the Red Wings are physically tired to go all the way. I think it's more mentally, the way they play the fire they use to have is just not there.

I think they need some new blood, some like Drake or Hossa that gave them the extra energy boost, that's all there missing.

From 95 to 98, they made three Stanley Cup Finals appearances and an appearance in the WCF in 96.

Other dynasties have had even longer runs than that.

You are right about those years. You do have to factor in how much TV has affected every thing, though. You used to always get 1-2 days between games. Now, they are trying to cram everything into as little time as possible.

I don't see how that can have any effect on them this season, if I run 10 miles today and my friend runs three miles today, and we both take a month off to rest, we'll be starting even again assuming that neiher of us were injured. It's an excuse.

This is an excuse. They had most of June, all of July, and most of August to rest. Two months is plenty. Also, what about the Pens? They had playoff runs just as long as ours, and they are doing fine this year. This whole excuse just makes it sound like a high school hockey team that is barely conditioned. These are professional athletes.

Much, much younger core and they play in the East.

I think there may be at least some mental lapses throughout the year following a deep run with a lot of teams. But as far as being tired I don't think the players want to think of it that way. Mostly I think the league has just become more and more competitive, for both players on individual levels, and teams overall. We don't see teams win 4 in a row anymore like the 80s...and even now just going back to back is becoming more difficult.

Edited by Free_Candy

It is real, and not just an "excuse", though I agree it is not as much of an excuse as it used to be -- considering how much better conditioned players are nowadays and how far along sports medicine has come. The Islanders in the early 80s are a classic case of deep playoff runs and injuries taking a huge toll over repeated deep playoff runs. Players play through injuries they normally might sit out from regularly in the playoffs... which can often make it worse; and there is no question the intensity in the playoffs is at a level we rarely see in the regular season. Emotionally and physically, it takes a toll.

No excuse, considering they have plenty of time between Mid-June and training camp to recover. If these supposedly fine-tuned athlete bodies can't handle that, how the hell have I worked 7-12's for 6 months at a time and managed to still be alive with my soft belly?

Either last night or a few games ago, Mickey Redmond said something about the Wings likely being tired because of all the playoff games they've played the last few years, and how they've played more games than anyone else.

That got me thinking. In the mid 90's, this team was making long playoff runs every year, yet I don't remember them being too tired to win games consistently the following year? Also, this team can't be any older than those teams we had in the 90's. Those teams had lots of veterans on them.

So does anyone else not buy this argument about the team being too tired? There are many reasons for why we are in this position this year, but I don't think fatigue is one of the main ones, or else we wouldn't have the dominance that we had in the 90's.

For that matter, you could say that about any other dynasty that made long playoff runs every year like the Isles and Oilers.

Without a salary cap it was easier to add talent that could take some pressure off the top guys. This year? They lost Hossa, Sammy and Hudler... guess who felt all that pressure? The big guys.

Normally I buy into this as a reason for decreased performance, but not this year. We've had too many injuries and too many guys leave for this to really make sense as a reason for the team's decreased performance collectively. Maybe certain guys are worn down, but I don't think it's exactly the reason we're barely in the playoffs

If some of the world best athletes bodies can not recover over the Olympic break, or the time they get off in the summer there is something wrong. These guys shouldn't need more than a week or two. It is the biggest bs excuse I have ever heard. If anything they might be a little more tired than normal due to their tight schedule they are forced to have because of the olympics. Still, this should affect the other teams just as much as it affects them.

Edited by cjm502

Is it an excuse? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean they aren't fatigued, and it doesn't mean that fatigue isn't affecting their overall play. It's definitely not THE REASON they aren't in the playoffs, I don't think anyone is saying that. And it doesn't have anything to do with them being "out of shape" or "poorly conditioned". Fatigue is a different issue. They HAVE played a lot more games than most teams, like Mickey said, almost an extra full season in the last 3 years. You're telling me that has no effect? They should just shake that off? There's a reason the regular season is only 82 games. If playing an average of 100+ games a season had no ill effects, you know the NHL would capitalize on that.

Without a salary cap it was easier to add talent that could take some pressure off the top guys. This year? They lost Hossa, Sammy and Hudler... guess who felt all that pressure? The big guys.

This is about where I was gonna go too.

Like Drake said, before the salary cap we could bring in the best players year in and year out. This not only brings in some fresher legs, but also make it a little easier on the big guys who went deep into the playoffs the year before. ALSO, without the cap there was a larger talent gap between teams. So even a fatigued Detroit team that went deep into the playoffs the year before would still not have to worry about being on the outside of playoffs, even if they weren't playing at the top of their game.

I bought this argument earlier in the season, but now I think it has to do more with the compacted schedule, injuries, and lack of talent with lots of double-shifting. I also think the Game 7 loss might have had a carry-over.

Losing 6&7 in cup finals, that was tough..

Especially cause we thought losing game 6 was not that bad cause we could lift the cup at the Joe...

But the first argument of our problems is simple: life-long contracts.

Henrik now plays like a 36-year old veteran who is on his last contract, he does an ok job but nothing more (something like Shanny during his 2 last seasons)