• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerfan1999

Steve Downie with another questionable play

Rate this topic

Given some of the comments "what a dive", "i'll pay someone $20 to do it again", this would be correct. I've never seen so much jealousy of a player from a fanbase in my life. It's laughable, and embarrassing at the same time.

And I can't really tell what the hell happened there. It was an awkward hit, certainly not a legal one, but Crosby didn't seem injured by it, played more minutes than any other player in that game. Looks like the penalty was justified and that's all that was necessary. Downie, on the other hand, needs to be watched for any other similar antics, as the guy doesn't bring much else to the game besides this stuff.

mugalert.jpg

fixed for smug *******

Edited by j.hoop

It's just the jealousy. Wings fans are deprived of great hockey players and leaders like Crosby now that Yzerman has retired.

So pretty much anyone that shows any positivity to Crosby is a Satanist murderer.

Inb4 more negative ratings for my posts. Keep spamming that red button guys!

Wow. Did I seriously just read that??? :ranting:

Major disrespect to Stevie man...

who gives a s*** its crosby. ill tell u what ill give him $20 dollars to do it again.

I don't like Crosby all that much but he didn't deserve to get intentionally hit in such a weird way when he wasn't doing anything to warrant such a hit. And this is a place of discussion, people are going to discuss the Downie-Crosby incident. *shrugs*

:lol:

That was from that George Clooney episode wasn't it?

yep, definitely a classic.

its funny because my remarks dont reflect jealousy at all, and im sure yours dont either. there are a few players on his tier that i love. i have no respect for crosby as a person, and maybe a little bit as a player.

Guest Shoreline

yep, definitely a classic.

its funny because my remarks dont reflect jealousy at all, and im sure yours dont either. there are a few players on his tier that i love. i have no respect for crosby as a person, and maybe a little bit as a player.

You actually know Crosby on a personal level? Wow, that's cool. Now I'm the jealous one. :ph34r:

I'm sure there's plenty of sensibility and non-jealousy in bringing him up in most threads that don't have anything to do with him. Like the fans in Nashville or Chicago who chant "Detroit Sucks", the Crosby obsession is certainly not jealousy whatsoever. Right? Right. Bravo for the nice show. :clap:

Edited by Shoreline

You actually know Crosby on a personal level? Wow, that's cool. Now I'm the jealous one. :ph34r:

I'm sure there's plenty of sensibility and non-jealousy in bringing him up in most threads that don't have anything to do with him. Like the fans in Nashville or Chicago who chant "Detroit Sucks", the Crosby obsession is certainly not jealousy whatsoever. Right? Right. Bravo for the nice show. :clap:

Has little/nothing to do with jealousy of him, or crying that Red Wings players themselves are getting more pub or whatever. I don't care about Red Wings coverage or too much coverage of them/lack thereof or whatever. Plenty don't like him because has a questionable attitude or appearance in dead whistles/off-ice stuff and is quite often dull as sandpaper and gets way too much over the top attention, more than the merited/deserved kind. It's easy to dislike people who get too much attention like that, fair or unfair, especially when media seems to ignore or just brush aside questionable traits that aren't hard to spot.

Pretty much everybody gets how good he is in terms of playing hockey and respects his skills.

Those two things are independent of each other, and it's something that you are not grasping here. The off-ice dead whistle stuff is fairly important to a lot of people as well in terms of player attitude or liking a player's character. Now, is Crosby the only one who has acted like this? Probably not, but when he gets too much attnetion, fair or not, he become a target.

I think he's a helluva hockey player and one of the best out there presently but he rubs me the wrong way still and media slobbers over him way as explained above. They could get other players more press time, it's irritating. I had to mute the Red Wings-Blackhawks NBC broadcast recently because they were talking too damned much about him, and he wasn't even playing in the game. It's like Tiger Woods in golf presently/recently or Tim Tebow in college football. Talk about the other athletes more.

I'm not jealous of his game because I know I will never be a hockey player or athlete at an extremely high level. I'm definitely not jealous of his attitude/occasional whining.

Is the disliking sometimes overzealous? Of course. People wouldn't be saying this stuff though if there wasn't some truth/merit to these things. I highly doubt people are jealous of him.

What Steve Downie did was idiotic and Crosby didn't deserve it because Crosby wasn't doing anything to provoke that type of reaction, but plenty of people still dislike both these guys in spite of what happened in this play. This play didn't change that, and probably not much will for a while towards either player.

So, I read that Downie was fined $1,000 which makes absolutely zero sense to me. If you review the play and reach the conclusion that the way that got wrapped up, etc. was an accident, that's fine, shouldn't result in anything other than the 2 min penalty he got for interference or whatever. I'm perfectly fine with that conclusion as it's almost impossible to judge intent, even though he looks to do this on purpose, you really can't tell.

However, if you reach the conclusion that he intended to do what he did, I see that as one of the dirtier plays out there....actually grabbing a guys leg and trying to injure him? You either conclude that there was incidental contact and no punishment or you conclude that everything was intentional and give the guy a hefty suspension. What the hell is a $100 fine supposed to mean? We don't really like that you are trying to break guys' legs, but we don't really see it as that big of a deal.

Just to be clear, I would have said no punishment at all, but if the league thinks he did it on purpose, the $100 fine is mind boggling.