53 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

story via Yahoo

NEW YORK (AP)—Two-time MVP Alex Ovechkin(notes) was suspended Monday for the Washington Capitals’ next two games because of a reckless hit.

The forward drove Chicago’s Brian Campbell(notes) into the boards from behind in the first period Sunday and received a major penalty and a game misconduct. With the league’s leading scorer kicked out of the game, the Capitals later came back from a 3-0 third-period deficit to win 4-3 in overtime.

“There’s nothing I can do right now. He just fell and this happens,” Ovechkin said after the game.

Because he also was suspended for two games earlier this season, Ovechkin is now considered a repeat offender under the collective bargaining agreement. He’ll forfeit more than $232,000 in salary based on the number of games in the season instead of the number of days.

Ovechkin was suspended for two games Dec. 1 for a knee-to-knee hit on Carolina defenseman Tim Gleason(notes).

Ovechkin will miss games Tuesday at Florida and Thursday at Carolina. He can return Saturday at Tampa Bay.

Campbell stayed down for several minutes before he was able to leave the ice with a trainer at his side and then headed to the locker room. He did not return to the game.

The Capitals showed Sunday why they have the NHL’s best record and highest-scoring offense. They had three goals in the third period before Nicklas Backstrom(notes) scored unassisted in overtime for the win.

hmmm......

#2 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

Haha damn, 232 grand. That's waaaaay higher than most suspensions you see.

But I'm not gonna complain about the suspension. I love AO, and I really, really love his passion, but he deserves a suspension here.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#3 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

ill bet everthing i own that if the Caps werent a lock for the playoffs and they were fighting for 8th like we are he wouldnt have gotten suspended.

#4 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

Damn, some ******* called it.

I'd say it's likely he will be suspended but probably a game or two.

The NHL is at least slightly predictable.

Edited by Shoreline, 15 March 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#5 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Really sucks for Campbell, I read he may be done for the season. I wonder what impact that would have on Chicago possibly attempting to unload him in the offseason.
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#6 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

I don't know if this was posted but I thought this to be a interesting read.. the first half of the article is about AO....

Yahoo story about AO's game It goes into a pattern for him and at what point do we say he has a cheap game.

#7 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

cant believe he makes 232 grand in 2 games. thats more then most people make in 3 years.

#8 Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 816 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

Good post from Chris Botta at Fanhouse on this topic ... because he basically says what all Red Wings fans (and possibly all NHL fans think): That Campbell needs to be fired.

Colin Campbell Must Go

#9 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

I can see Ovechkin leaving to the KHL soon :/
Cooke will be the new face of the NHL

Edited by Four, 15 March 2010 - 06:03 PM.

O.o

#10 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

He deserved it. Careless dirty play. It shouldn't matter if he is a star or not, Campbell made the right call for once. Now lets review the Cooke hit again...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

Yes....They are, and if it were Crosby or Malkin, the NHL would rescind the Game Misconduct so neither would have to be suspended at all...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#12 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

If you throw enough darts you're bound to hit a bulls eye. :hehe:

This suspension is laughable given that Cooke is given free reign to head-hunt. :confused1:

And no-- I don't give a s*** that Cooke's hit didn't result in an on-ice penalty. The NHL's given suspensions for non-penalized stuff before.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#13 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

No shock here, good thing is the Caps play Panthers and Canes next.
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#14 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

I finally saw the hit today because espn deigned to talk about it on PTI.

As much as I want to see iffy hits reined in, Ovie's hit didn't look all that bad to me. He hit him on his side, not his back. Mebee it was because he was too close to the boards? Dunno, but I've seen lots worse. Any of us here could probably name ten hits that were worse than that that were barely reviewed. Again, I think this goes back to Burke's comment about consequences mostly based on what happens to the hitee. Still isn't the answer.

Yep, Campbell needs to go. :ph34r:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#15 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

Not surprised totally. Wouldn't have been surprised had he not been suspended either cause well it's Colin Campbell. I think the injury helped make this a suspension. Had Campbell come back during the game or the next game the major and the misconduct would have been it.

#16 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

This is the same league that says you are automatically suspended for getting an instigator penalty in the last minutes of a game and yet there was Malkin playing in Game Six of the FInal

Detroit would like to welcome the Eastern Conference

13416406403_264f5aaa63_o.jpg

#17 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

repeat offender, and in light of Lapierre's suspesion, this is completely fair.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#18 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

[quote name='Vladifan' date='15 March 2010 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1268697969' post='1916435']

As much as I want to see iffy hits reined in, Ovie's hit didn't look all that bad to me. He hit him on his side, not his back.

Posted Image

About the Ovechkin suspension. Incoming wall of text.

I think it's fair. We all know if it was any other player he would have received more games. I understand and accept the fact that star players are more important to the game then 3rd-4th liners. I have no problems with Ovechkin only getting 2 games. Ovechkin is one of the greatest hockey talents ever, he needs to be on the ice scoring goals, not in the stands serving punishment for a borderline hit that ended someone's season. So from that aspect I see no problems on the severity, and I just hope Ovechkin can learn to focus his physical game and use better judgement in the future so he can avoid this. The NHL needs Ovechkin, but it cannot make specials rules it can only bend them.

The hit itself was bad, I don't think it was anything completely horrible, but it was quite apparent that Ovechkin had a lapse in judgment and if he happened to hit someone on the Red Wings there would be a lot less defense for him in this thread. I don't see how anyone can look at that hit and think that should be a acceptable part of the game. In a perfect world whether or not Brian Campbell was injured would not play a prominent role in the length and severity of the punishment, but that's not how life works. An incidental high stick still deserves 2 minutes, and even more if there is blood drawn, intention has little to do on the actually punishment. The outcome of the victim plays a role in the determination of punishment. Now if you want to debate that it shouldn't, it would be a whole different topic on how human society as a whole spanning from the court system, to everyday social situations(for a terrible and maybe sort of extreme example; we all pay more intention to a victim that was murdered, more then a victim that was just injured.)

Now about people that are complaining about consistency and Colin Campbell. Please take a step back and look at the situation from his shoes. What Cooke did certainly deserved a punishment, I think most sane people all agree on this notion. The sad truth of the matter is Campbell has no ground to suspend Cooke. What Cooke did, while absolutely malicious and dangerous, does not violate any rules that are currently instilled in the rule book. Everyone pointing to the "intent to injure" rule needs to understand that it's only enforced when the original play is actually illegal. That rule is not there to punish players for essentially hitting too hard. If that's how you want to interpret the rule you could look at Kronwall's hits, or almost every single one of Scott Steven's hits and attribute disciplinary action. The thing is unless the hit itself is written in the rule book as illegal you cannot enforce that particular "intent to injure" rule. Hopefully they can get the headshot/blindside hit defined and in the rule book as soon as possible, but you cannot just change the rule on the spot. It's not up to Campbell to make the rules. So for that I don't see how you can blame Campbell, when essentially he can only work with the rules he is given.

I hope I can actually get serious feedback from this post and not just "STFU CROSBYLVOER etc."

Edited by Carman, 15 March 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#19 Pens Guy

Pens Guy

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

This is the same league that says you are automatically suspended for getting an instigator penalty in the last minutes of a game and yet there was Malkin playing in Game Six of the FInal

The NHL is is totally inconsistent, yes. But I think the same thing would have been done for Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Don't forget about the line brawl at the end of the game during the Ducks Wings Series where no one was suspended. There is an obvious double standard. Lapierre got 4 games for a very, very similiar hit. I have a feeling things will be better next year when there are penalties for headshots and blindsides.

#20 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

Poor Ovechkin I feel really bad for him and his talent it's going to come to an end if he doesn't lower is aggressivaty. Player always remember and wait.

Flashback* Eric Lindros - Big - Strong - Fast ... I just hope for his sake he doesn't end up in the path of Lindros.

Edited by KrazyGangsta, 15 March 2010 - 08:27 PM.