• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

KHL backup goalie gets hit in head with stick by opposition fan

Rate this topic

KHL is horrible, I don't even consider watching it.

the KHL has always been so off-putting with me.

cheerleaders in the stands?

sometimes teams dont check AT ALL...it is a very odd league when jagr, hudler and chris simon can all be PPG players.

This is Russia. They use the AK's not lawyers.

I think there are more guns and violence in the U.S.

It seems that everytime when KHL is discussed here the influence of cold war propaganda and the attitude of that time lifts its head. After so many years its still stuck in people's minds.

It seems that everytime when KHL is discussed here the influence of cold war propaganda and the attitude of that time lifts its head. After so many years its still stuck in people's minds.

I agree. I don't rate USA any higher than Russia.

Guest micah

You're just being nice to the Ruskies in hopes that they don't take away a big chunk of your land on a whim again.

My friend Eric lives in Finland. I love the stories he relates back of his trips in to Russia! "Immagine how backwards Russia is from what you see on TV - then multiply it by 100" he says.

I don't think it's cold war propaganda that makes the US and Canada laugh at Russia - it's how far they've fallen since the end of the cold war. I would have loved to have visited the USSR circa 1985. I respected the USSR, because it did some things well. I can't think of anything that Russia excels at. It is my sincere hope that they get their s*** together, because it has the potential to be an awesome country.

Edited by micah

Maybe the KHL should change it's name to the KKHL (Keystone Kops Hockey League). Why the hell would any self-respecting hockey player go there when you got fans running wild in the arenas (smacking goalies with sticks, lighting road flares, etc) and the medical personnel seemingly trained in the 4077 MASH unit (seriously, carrying injured players off the ice in tarps?!)? Screw the money, just say no to the KKHL!

Guest micah

A big chunk? About enough land to bury their dead is all they got.

IIRC it was something like 10% of Finland's land, and 20% of their industrial capacity.

Plus the biggest badass in history emerged from Finland during that war.

Also, neither Bob Probert nor Chuck Norris fought in the Winter War. That's an old wive's tale.

Edited by micah

You're just being nice to the Ruskies in hopes that they don't take away a big chunk of your land on a whim again.

My friend Eric lives in Finland. I love the stories he relates back of his trips in to Russia! "Immagine how backwards Russia is from what you see on TV - then multiply it by 100" he says.

I don't think it's cold war propaganda that makes the US and Canada laugh at Russia - it's how far they've fallen since the end of the cold war. I would have loved to have visited the USSR circa 1985. I respected the USSR, because it did some things well. I can't think of anything that Russia excels at. It is my sincere hope that they get their s*** together, because it has the potential to be an awesome country.

yes of course your friend from Finland is an expert lol. I lived in USSR in 1985 and former Soviet Union till 1995...

in any case, what I can say is this fan is going to get a massive beating from the cops for this incident... The fan was just an ass, it is no different from having a drunk fan falling into Tie Domi's penalty boxes and getting his ass kicked. Of course in this case the goalie could have gotten seriously hurt.

As far as Russia goes, yes some things are backwards but at the same time Moscow is the most expensive city in the world to live and the lifestyle has changed dramatically...

Also, I love how in Olympics Russia had NHL washouts? Right so Ovie, Malkin, Datsyuk, Nabokov.. interesting... all I can say is they choked it is what it is... Didn't Canada choke in last olympics? yet no one said hockey is over for Canada...

the stupidity and ignorance around the boards sometimes lol...

IIRC it was something like 10% of Finland's land, and 20% of their industrial capacity.

That I don't know for certain, but they did give up their 2nd largest city at the time. It's not like they teach the Winter War in school here, so anything I know about it is from the intertubes pretty much. Here's a map of their concessions though.

250px-Finnish_areas_ceded_in_1940.png

Also, neither Bob Probert nor Chuck Norris fought in the Winter War. That's an old wive's tale.

I was, of course, referring to Simo Häyhä, but I'm assuming you knew that. I only say because it's retarded how many people don't know about this part of WWII.

And I wish the video in that link actually had a good view of him getting smacked. I wanna know if it was like a BC 2-hander or a 1-handed swing (that's my [likely futile] attempt to have this post count as being on-topic).

Guest micah

yes of course your friend from Finland is an expert lol. I lived in USSR in 1985 and former Soviet Union till 1995...

Why did you leave?

in any case, what I can say is this fan is going to get a massive beating from the cops for this incident...

The cops are expected to beat down nogoodnicks over there? It's worse than I thought.

Also, I love how in Olympics Russia had NHL washouts? Right so Ovie, Malkin, Datsyuk, Nabokov.. interesting... all I can say is they choked it is what it is... Didn't Canada choke in last olympics? yet no one said hockey is over for Canada...

Who said otherwise? The KHL is a joke of a league, but Russia still produces some fine hockey players, no doubt about it.

I've gotta take some issue here. Russia fell hard following the Soviet collapse, and things were rather nasty over there as I understand it. I've heard it often compared (by Russian expats) to a bunch of children whose parents suddenly skipped town. All the freedom in the world, and no idea what to do with it. This led to all sorts of violence, corruption and a mad dash for cash.

But that was over a decade ago.

I was in Russia this past May, and I have to say that St. Petersburg is one of the most impressive cities I've ever visited... on par with anything I've seen in the U.S. I witnessed no crime, the facilities (aside from the water and pollution, blech) were all better than what I've seen in other European countries and the cultural history was beyond rich. Sure, the food wasn't all that great (it reminded me of what I find in the Midwest), but the availability of any commerce item you could dream of, the public transportation, the business opportunities were all abundant. I'd go back in a heartbeat, even for a stay of six months to a year.

I'd much rather live in Pitir than in Rome, New York, LA, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, etc... or even our beloved Detroit (where I actually did live for years).

Anyway... that was all a bit off topic. The fan who hit the goalie is a jackass, just like jackasses you can find in New Jersey, Philly or any other major NHL town.... except for maybe San Jose. Those people are just plain tame. It's almost unsettling.

EDIT: I remembered after posting that I did witness a crime. I actually had to "bribe" a cop for smoking in subway station, apparently the ONLY place in Pitir you are not allowed to smoke. The "bribe?" 300 rubles, or roughly $3.

Edited by Uncle Danny

Why did you leave?

The cops are expected to beat down nogoodnicks over there? It's worse than I thought.

Who said otherwise? The KHL is a joke of a league, but Russia still produces some fine hockey players, no doubt about it.

Cops once they arrest you in United States are unlikely just beat the crap out of you, unless you are fighting back during the arrest. I am talking about when they got him to the station, I am sure he got a serious beating...

I left cause the situation sucked after collapse and leading up to collapse of Soviet Union. KHL continues to condition some of the best European players in the world, I wouldn't call that a joke.

Russia is very much different now and had major economic growth and recovery under Putin due to rising cost of OIL and natural resources. There are still some backwards things there, but its not your 1980s stereotypical hollywood flick... Fins are pretty bitter about Russia as they fought wars and were invaded by Russia. (Lenin in fact backed out and let Finland have its independence)

As much resentment I may have to Soviet gov't and what commies did to the country, I don't see how some stereotypical and hateful comments in regards to Russia make any sense here...

One of the major reasons Russia choked in Olympics is that all the best Russian coaches were in fact working with American and Canadian athletes (that is where the money at)... For Sochi olympics funds will be allocated to ensure there won't be a massive embarrasment like in Vancouver...