• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

What's up with Cleary?

Rate this topic

I know this guy isn't exactly known for scoring, but recently he seems pretty non-existent out there. In his past 10 games he has 2 points. Cleary always struck me as one of our premier grinders; someone who works hard in the corners and in the dirty areas in front of the net but lately I haven't seen too much of that from him. Any ideas?

Guest Lidstromboli

2 points in 10 games doesn't seem too out of the ordinary for someone that usually has 30-40 points a season

I know this guy isn't exactly known for scoring, but recently he seems pretty non-existent out there. In his past 10 games he has 2 points. Cleary always struck me as one of our premier grinders; someone who works hard in the corners and in the dirty areas in front of the net but lately I haven't seen too much of that from him. Any ideas?

I wouldn't say he isn't known for scoring... he's usually good for 20 goals and 20 helpers a year. That's respectable. He's not a star but he does everything pretty well.

You're right, though, he's been terrible since the Olympic break and wasn't exactly hot before then. Cleary has a habit of scoring in bunches anyway, so once that first goal goes in we're golden. Same for Bertuzzi.

If those two can get going again the Wings will be really rolling going into the playoffs.

2 points in 10 games doesn't seem too out of the ordinary for someone that usually has 30-40 points a season

2pts in 10 games = 0.2 ppg

0.2pt/g * 82g = 16.4pts

[(40pt - 16.4pt)/(40pt)]*100% = 59%

So there you go. That's a 59% difference between the current pace he's on and what he's expected to produce.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I wouldn't say he isn't known for scoring... he's usually good for 20 goals and 20 helpers a year. That's respectable. He's not a star but he does everything pretty well.

You're right, though, he's been terrible since the Olympic break and wasn't exactly hot before then. Cleary has a habit of scoring in bunches anyway, so once that first goal goes in we're golden. Same for Bertuzzi.

If those two can get going again the Wings will be really rolling going into the playoffs.

2pts in 10 games = 0.2 ppg

0.2pt/g * 82g = 16.4pts

[(40pt - 16.4pt)/(40pt)]*100% = 59%

So there you go. That's a 59% difference between the current pace he's on and what he's expected to produce.

:clap:

I think it's fair to say that Cleary is on a cold streak but at the same time with all the momentum the team has been building this should be the easiest time for him to break out. There is less and less pressure on him to do so with the increased play of all the other players around him. That being said, he has always been and probably forever will be a streaky guy. Just compare is 08 playoff numbers (22 games, 2 goals, 1 assist) to his 09 playoff numbers (23 games, 9 goals, 6 assists).

When he's hot he's hot and when he's cold, s*** he's ice cold.

uh well...he's not very good that's whats up. He is in NO WAY a second line/second PP unit forward. His play is literally all determined by how hard he works, he doesn't possess the skills to just "turn it on". He's looked like hes lost a step from the last couple years. Whether he's hurt, or he's not showing up prepared is unknown.

oh and making people call him "danny" isnt winning me over either. what are you 8 years old?

2 points in 10 games comes out to 16.4 points for the season so it really is fairly out the ordinary for a 30 to 40 point player.

Eh, probably. I'd say that both he and Franzen are the big bodies that would replace Homer when he retires.

Franzen has the hands to create and score on his own much more so than Homer does so it would surprise me if they implement him for large portions of games in a Homer type role.

2 points in 10 games comes out to 16.4 points for the season so it really is fairly out the ordinary for a 30 to 40 point player.

No, it isn't. Nobody is 100% consistent throughout an entire year. Last year he had 40 points and had a stretch where he had only 1 point in 10 games. It happens, it's a slump, it's not a big deal.

No, it isn't. Nobody is 100% consistent throughout an entire year. Last year he had 40 points and had a stretch where he had only 1 point in 10 games. It happens, it's a slump, it's not a big deal.

I agree no one is 100% consistent throughout an entire year and also 10 games is a pretty small sample my post was in response to this one:

All I was saying is that it is out of the ordinary for a guy to have streaks like that and be a 40 point per season player, its not impossible but it is out of the ordinary. Again, look at the numbers he has a 10 game stretch where he scores .2 points per game and then for the other 72 games has to average .527 points per game to reach 40 points. Impossible . . . no not at all but definitely not ordinary.

I think he's just going through a slump. Somewhat understandable since his linemates haven't been lighting the lamp either. Besides, like a lot of gritty players, I've always thought his game seems to be better suited for the playoffs anyways.

On a side note, nobody's been talking about Kronwall. Aside from a few open-ice hits, he's been quietly...well, quiet, with only 3 points in 14 games (none on the PP) after returning from injury. Though he's gotten better the past few games (like the crossbar last night), he hasn't generated as much offense as we're normally used to seeing. I think it's kind of gone under the radar because Lidstrom and Rafalski have been producing, especially on the first PP unit. If Kronwall gets going, it should help the cause of the forwards out there with him, like Cleary at times on the 2nd PP or ES.

If only everyone could play to their potential. But that's hockey I guess; different players carry the team at different points in time.

uh well...he's not very good that's whats up. He is in NO WAY a second line/second PP unit forward. His play is literally all determined by how hard he works, he doesn't possess the skills to just "turn it on". He's looked like hes lost a step from the last couple years. Whether he's hurt, or he's not showing up prepared is unknown.

oh and making people call him "danny" isnt winning me over either. what are you 8 years old?

:rolleyes:

I honestly can't tell if you unknowingly talk out of your ass or if you're just trolling us...

A. Cleary was the 4th most productive forward in the 09 playoffs: 23gp 9g 6a 15pts. That translates to a 32g 21a 53pt season over 82 games. Franzen and Zetterberg had 11 and 12 goals, respectively, that playoff run. By comparison Hossa had 6g 9a in that playoff run. So Cleary out produced Hossa and you're full of s***. By the way, in the cup year Cleary had 2g 1a for 3 frigging points. I guess losing a step must make you a superior player in the playoffs...

B. That playoff run where Cleary was highly productive was less than a year ago. Over the last three years he's produced 40/42/40 pts. Lost a step over the last few years must mean lost a step since October 2009.

C. You're right that his production is directly related to his effort level. So kudos on being right on something. :thumbup:

I think he's just going through a slump. Somewhat understandable since his linemates haven't been lighting the lamp either. Besides, like a lot of gritty players, I've always thought his game seems to be better suited for the playoffs anyways.

On a side note, nobody's been talking about Kronwall. Aside from a few open-ice hits, he's been quietly...well, quiet, with only 3 points in 14 games (none on the PP) after returning from injury. Though he's gotten better the past few games (like the crossbar last night), he hasn't generated as much offense as we're normally used to seeing. I think it's kind of gone under the radar because Lidstrom and Rafalski have been producing, especially on the first PP unit. If Kronwall gets going, it should help the cause of the forwards out there with him, like Cleary at times on the 2nd PP or ES.

If only everyone could play to their potential. But that's hockey I guess; different players carry the team at different points in time.

To be honest I haven't been terribly impressed with Kronwall's play since he returned from his knee injury but then again I wasn't expecting him to come back and be effective right away. I am a bit surprised he's taken so long to get back up to speed. I'm betting that all it will take is a goal to get him revved back up again.

I agree, Cleary has been non existent offensively, and its not like he is getting chances and just missing or getting robbed, he is just not getting or creating chances. I was actually thinking about this quite a bit today and it seems like Babcock has tried Cleary-Zetterberg- and everyone else on that line, maybe its time to move Cleary down just for a game or two and see what happens. I know he wants Cleary on that line to be a net front presence but that isn't really working right now.

Datsyuk-Franzen-Homer

Filppula-Zetterberg-EAVES

Move Cleary onto a lower line and see if it sparks him. Plus, I'd love to see what Eaves playing consistently with Zetterberg and Filppula would do. They were on the same line for about 20 seconds and Hank got a goal a few games ago, couldn't hurt to give the guy a chance.

Datsyuk-Franzen-Homer

Filppula-Zetterberg-EAVES

Move Cleary onto a lower line and see if it sparks him. Plus, I'd love to see what Eaves playing consistently with Zetterberg and Filppula would do. They were on the same line for about 20 seconds and Hank got a goal a few games ago, couldn't hurt to give the guy a chance.

Might not be a bad move. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt want any coach other than Babs, but the consistent juggling of lines when someone was in a slump that Bowman used to do is something I really miss. I think Babcock trots out the same lines over and over even though its clear its not working.

Might not be a bad move. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt want any coach other than Babs, but the consistent juggling of lines when someone was in a slump that Bowman used to do is something I really miss. I think Babcock trots out the same lines over and over even though its clear its not working.

Part of it is with the move that was suggested is I don't think Babcock wants to break up the Draper-Helm-Eaves line.

:rolleyes:

I honestly can't tell if you unknowingly talk out of your ass or if you're just trolling us...

A. Cleary was the 4th most productive forward in the 09 playoffs: 23gp 9g 6a 15pts. That translates to a 32g 21a 53pt season over 82 games. Franzen and Zetterberg had 11 and 12 goals, respectively, that playoff run. By comparison Hossa had 6g 9a in that playoff run. So Cleary out produced Hossa and you're full of s***. By the way, in the cup year Cleary had 2g 1a for 3 frigging points. I guess losing a step must make you a superior player in the playoffs...

B. That playoff run where Cleary was highly productive was less than a year ago. Over the last three years he's produced 40/42/40 pts. Lost a step over the last few years must mean lost a step since October 2009.

C. You're right that his production is directly related to his effort level. So kudos on being right on something. :thumbup:

dont take point production in the playoffs then stretch it out and assume that production remains consistent. he had 14 goals last year and 26 assists. i would propose those assists were coming from the talent around him. between 03 and 06 he scored 13 goals in the NHL. NM you are right he is amazing...

Edited by Rick Zombos Ghost

Cleary is a solid player, doesn't really excel at any aspect of the game. If he was Bert's size, than he would be a demon in the corners, but he doesn't really have the shot, speed, playmaking or defense to stand out. He does have heart, and that can make a difference like in game 7 Anaheim last year. During the regular season he goes for extended periods colder than hell. Last game he got around 17 minutes while Helm got 10. Give Helm those extra 7 minutes and I suspect you would see something come of that.