• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Red Wings GM Ken Holland hasn't given up on wandering Jiri Hudler

Rate this topic

No matter if you like him or not, you are NOT going to find another UFA/RFA out there that can put up his points, already knows the system and has chemistry with the guys on the team. He comes back you have an instant impact player, you get someone new and it takes them a 10-15 games to get some chemistry and the system down.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Zetterberg-Filppula-Hudler

Bertuzzi-Cleary-Williams

Eaves/Abby-Helm-Draper

He would have gotten top 6 minutes for sure rather than 13:30... you realise if you gave him Filppula's minutes with his scoring rate from last year and he'd be prorated for well over 70 points this year right? You do realise that last year he had a better scoring pace than Franzen, Zetterberg, and Filppula right? Don't try to argue, I have the stats prorated for ES, PP, and Pk time, and if Hudler switched any of their minutes he would outpreform them substancially (well Franzen by 2 points, but Z and Fil by 10+ points)

I like Jiri a lot and would be glad to have him back on the team however, you can't prorate out what a player would have if he had been given more minutes. Who knows if the would have been more worn down, less energetic than he was when his time was limited, would have meshed well with other players who also got those big minutes. There are just to many variables to say for example that if a player scores 1 point averaging 5 minutes of ice time he will automatically score 4 points when given 20 minutes of ice time. It's not a static situation and therefore not adept to static numbers.

Ericsson was given more ice time with the thought that he'll play better, and be more of an asset to the Red Wings...Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way; Hudler may very well be the same.

Good point and I agree some guys reach their pinnacle when there is less pressure on them. They are not expected to produce near as much so no pressure, not to mention that you have a whole lot more energy when you play 13 minutes rather than 21. I'm not saying Huds wouldn't produce more with more time I just don't think you can project it out from what he produces with less time.

From what I understood, Huds knew he was going to win more in arbitration than the Wings could afford. He didn't want to play for another team in the NHL so he went to the KHL so that the Wings would still have his rights and he could return after this season when everyone knew we would have more cap room. So really, he wanted to play so badly for the Wings that he went to the KHL so that he wouldn't have to go to another NHL team. This could be wrong, but this is what I understood the situation to be. Also, he may decide now he wants to stay over there because the hookers, I mean money is so good.

You're right.

Ericsson was given more ice time with the thought that he'll play better, and be more of an asset to the Red Wings...Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way; Hudler may very well be the same.

I have no idea how you think these parallels can be drawn between a rookie d-man who's struggled in his first season and a 4th year forward who's gotten better each year and just put a 57 pt season together.

Ericsson had games where he was very good, games where he was good and games where he was horrible. That's what you expect from a rookie defenseman. Luckily Holland is smart enough to give Big Rig more time to put his NHL game together.

As a defenseman, when you get more ice time you get more chances to screw things up and make mistakes that lead to goals. When you're a forward, however, you get more chances to score goals and make plays.

He would have gotten top 6 minutes for sure rather than 13:30... you realise if you gave him Filppula's minutes with his scoring rate from last year and he'd be prorated for well over 70 points this year right? You do realise that last year he had a better scoring pace than Franzen, Zetterberg, and Filppula right? Don't try to argue, I have the stats prorated for ES, PP, and Pk time, and if Hudler switched any of their minutes he would outpreform them substancially (well Franzen by 2 points, but Z and Fil by 10+ points)

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Zetterberg-Filppula-Hudler

Bertuzzi-Cleary-Williams

HDE

And if you did the same for the other players on the roster this year they would have the same point totals they had last year, barring games missed due to injury.

The Wings are scoring less this year, everyone's point totals are lower. That is what I meant by him probably not putting up as many points this year.

Last year Hudler and Filppula had the exact same "points per minute" at even strength. (ie if you gave Hudler Filppula's ES minutes last year, he would have scored a whopping .1 point more than Filppula). I think Filppula would have a higher points per minute at even strength if Filppula didn't play in all situations.

I'm sick of the "hudler did so well with so little minutes" gig. If you gave Filppula Hudler's PP time last year, Filppula scores over 50 points and Hudler doesn't even break 40. All his points came from the massive amount of PP time he got. Only Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Holmstrom got more.

I'll even go further. Last year, Hudler had .113 PPM on the PP. This year Filppula has .083. BUT, compare the linemates they had on the PP.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?selForward=DETFILPPULA%2CVALTTERI&period=ALL&situation=PP&games=2009-2010%3AR%3A99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go

http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?selForward=DETHUDLER%2CJIRI&period=ALL&situation=PP&games=2008-2009%3AR%3A99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go

It's black and white.

I love that there is someone else on here that appreciates Flip as much as I do. Although, I will say Hudler is more gifted ioffensively and capable of racking up a higher point total than Filppula.

My thing with Hudler is that he makes me nervous during 5 on 5 play and at times, can be a liability. He has had some pretty nice playoff games though, so hopefully he comes back and puts my fears to rest. Id be happy to have Happy back :D .

Ever since he left I expected him to be back someday, I was guessing at the end of his contract. It will work out great for the Wings as he will be 2 years a better player and still have to honour his awarded contract. No hard feelings from me, I'll be excited to see him again and I think its definitely going to happen.

I'd love to have the guy back, always been one of my favourites in Detroit.

Off topic: anyone react to the "special friends" thing. Funny in a "I haven't slept for 36 hours" kind of way.

From what I understood, Huds knew he was going to win more in arbitration than the Wings could afford. He didn't want to play for another team in the NHL so he went to the KHL so that the Wings would still have his rights and he could return after this season when everyone knew we would have more cap room. So really, he wanted to play so badly for the Wings that he went to the KHL so that he wouldn't have to go to another NHL team. This could be wrong, but this is what I understood the situation to be. Also, he may decide now he wants to stay over there because the hookers, I mean money is so good.

Bingo! We have a winner. Well said.

I just hope the 57 points in a KHL transfers over well in the NHL. The opinion on the KHL being a weak league and Hudler doing so well there should be taken into consideration.

He had exactly 57pts last year in the NHL so I'd expect him to score more than that next year...

What I'm getting at is more ice time doesn't always = high end performance...Sometimes less is better.

More ice time for some forwards may also exemplify their faults; with Hudler it's his lack of speed, so-so defensive awareness, and small stature/not overly physical.

Fair enough, but man has our 2nd PP missed him. :(

I just learned that Detroit could have drafted Jagar or Brodeur in the 1990 draft...thats going to bug me for the rest of the day.

Round Pick Overall Team Player Pos Country Ht Wt Amateur League Amateur Team

1 3 3 DET Keith Primeau C CAN 6' 5" 220 OHL Niagara Falls Thunder

3 3 45 DET Vyacheslav Kozlov L RUS 5' 10" 190 USSR Khimik

4 3 66 DET Stewart Malgunas D CAN 6' 0" 200 WHL Seattle Thunderbirds

5 3 87 DET Tony Burns Minn. Duluth-Denfeld H.S.

6 3 108 DET Claude Barthe QMJHL Victoriaville Tigres

7 3 129 DET Jason York D CAN 6' 2" 202 OHL Kitchener Rangers

8 3 150 DET Wes McCauley D CAN 6' 0" 175 NCAA Michigan State University

9 3 171 DET Tony Gruba Minn. Hill-Murray H.S.

10 3 192 DET Travis Tucker Conn. Avon Old Farms H.S.

11 3 213 DET Brett Larson D USA Minn. Duluth Denfeld H.S.

12 3 234 DET John Hendry L CAN 6' 1" 180 NCAA Lake Superior State University

1990 draft

He had exactly 57pts last year in the NHL so I'd expect him to score more than that next year...

Just sayin' he won't be a PPG player in the NHL is all.

Im not against it...I just would not expect anything more then what he was before he went to the KHL.

I just learned that Detroit could have drafted Jagar or Brodeur in the 1990 draft...thats going to bug me for the rest of the day.

Hahaha. You cant forget the butterfly effect though. If we draft Jagr or Brodeur, its possible it would have changed the following events and we may not have four stanley cups in the ensuing decade. Hope that gets your night back on track. :thumbup:

Edited by wingsownnhl43

Maybe I'm missing something, but if Hudler wanted to play for the Wings so badly but knew money was an issue why not skip arbitration, sign a 1-year deal for less, then get the big contract after this season? I'm not faulting him for taking the money, but I have a hard time seeing how Hudler going to the KHL was doing the Wings a favor.

I agree with this...if he wanted to play for us so badly he would have skipped arbitration, signed a smaller contract and stayed here. It sounds like he was out for the money.

Edited by Wings Rule Crysby Drools

I agree with this...if he wanted to play for us so badly he would have skipped arbitration, signed a smaller contract and stayed here. It sounds like he was out for the money.

And if Hossa wanted to play so badly for us, he would have come down to $3m. I agree with you, and I don't think anyone is accusing him of being a martyr here, but it is ultimately a job. Hudler even said it was about the money in his interviews (which was refreshingly honest) and that he could play closer to home, in a still decent league, and that he was young and could still come back and contribute. That it happened to be a pretty good deal for the Wings was a happy side effect, but one I do think he (and Holland) was cognizant of.

Edited by egroen

Well I hope Hudler makes a decision long before the end of the season so Holland can get to work on signing a free agent or two for next season depending on what happens with the money coming off the books after this year.