• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

I'd love to have the guy back, always been one of my favourites in Detroit.

Off topic: anyone react to the "special friends" thing. Funny in a "I haven't slept for 36 hours" kind of way.

#42 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

I just hope the 57 points in a KHL transfers over well in the NHL. The opinion on the KHL being a weak league and Hudler doing so well there should be taken into consideration.

#43 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

From what I understood, Huds knew he was going to win more in arbitration than the Wings could afford. He didn't want to play for another team in the NHL so he went to the KHL so that the Wings would still have his rights and he could return after this season when everyone knew we would have more cap room. So really, he wanted to play so badly for the Wings that he went to the KHL so that he wouldn't have to go to another NHL team. This could be wrong, but this is what I understood the situation to be. Also, he may decide now he wants to stay over there because the hookers, I mean money is so good.

Bingo! We have a winner. Well said.

#44 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

I have no idea how you think these parallels can be drawn between a rookie d-man who's struggled in his first season and a 4th year forward who's gotten better each year and just put a 57 pt season together.

Ericsson had games where he was very good, games where he was good and games where he was horrible. That's what you expect from a rookie defenseman. Luckily Holland is smart enough to give Big Rig more time to put his NHL game together.

What I'm getting at is more ice time doesn't always = high end performance...Sometimes less is better.

As a defenseman, when you get more ice time you get more chances to screw things up and make mistakes that lead to goals. When you're a forward, however, you get more chances to score goals and make plays.

More ice time for some forwards may also exemplify their faults; with Hudler it's his lack of speed, so-so defensive awareness, and small stature/not overly physical.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#45 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

No thanks.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#46 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

I just hope the 57 points in a KHL transfers over well in the NHL. The opinion on the KHL being a weak league and Hudler doing so well there should be taken into consideration.

He had exactly 57pts last year in the NHL so I'd expect him to score more than that next year...

What I'm getting at is more ice time doesn't always = high end performance...Sometimes less is better.

More ice time for some forwards may also exemplify their faults; with Hudler it's his lack of speed, so-so defensive awareness, and small stature/not overly physical.

Fair enough, but man has our 2nd PP missed him. :(
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#47 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:57 PM

I just learned that Detroit could have drafted Jagar or Brodeur in the 1990 draft...thats going to bug me for the rest of the day.

#48 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

I just learned that Detroit could have drafted Jagar or Brodeur in the 1990 draft...thats going to bug me for the rest of the day.

Round Pick Overall Team Player Pos Country Ht Wt Amateur League Amateur Team
1 3 3 DET Keith Primeau C CAN 6' 5" 220 OHL Niagara Falls Thunder
3 3 45 DET Vyacheslav Kozlov L RUS 5' 10" 190 USSR Khimik
4 3 66 DET Stewart Malgunas D CAN 6' 0" 200 WHL Seattle Thunderbirds
5 3 87 DET Tony Burns Minn. Duluth-Denfeld H.S.
6 3 108 DET Claude Barthe QMJHL Victoriaville Tigres
7 3 129 DET Jason York D CAN 6' 2" 202 OHL Kitchener Rangers
8 3 150 DET Wes McCauley D CAN 6' 0" 175 NCAA Michigan State University
9 3 171 DET Tony Gruba Minn. Hill-Murray H.S.
10 3 192 DET Travis Tucker Conn. Avon Old Farms H.S.
11 3 213 DET Brett Larson D USA Minn. Duluth Denfeld H.S.
12 3 234 DET John Hendry L CAN 6' 1" 180 NCAA Lake Superior State University

1990 draft

#49 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

He had exactly 57pts last year in the NHL so I'd expect him to score more than that next year...

Fair enough, but man has our 2nd PP missed him. :(

Yes - our pp as a whole has room for improvement...I for 1 have been harsh on the little guy for 1 reason, or another...That said Hudler is rock solid with the man advantage.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#50 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

Little Huds, what will he do next?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

Just sayin' he won't be a PPG player in the NHL is all.
Im not against it...I just would not expect anything more then what he was before he went to the KHL.

#52 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hahaha. You cant forget the butterfly effect though. If we draft Jagr or Brodeur, its possible it would have changed the following events and we may not have four stanley cups in the ensuing decade. Hope that gets your night back on track. :thumbup:

Edited by wingsownnhl43, 16 March 2010 - 08:44 PM.

#53 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

That guy used the word "woo" two too many times.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#54 Wings Rule Crysby Drools

Wings Rule Crysby Drools

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but if Hudler wanted to play for the Wings so badly but knew money was an issue why not skip arbitration, sign a 1-year deal for less, then get the big contract after this season? I'm not faulting him for taking the money, but I have a hard time seeing how Hudler going to the KHL was doing the Wings a favor.

I agree with this...if he wanted to play for us so badly he would have skipped arbitration, signed a smaller contract and stayed here. It sounds like he was out for the money.

Edited by Wings Rule Crysby Drools, 16 March 2010 - 08:55 PM.

#55 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

I agree with this...if he wanted to play for us so badly he would have skipped arbitration, signed a smaller contract and stayed here. It sounds like he was out for the money.

And if Hossa wanted to play so badly for us, he would have come down to $3m. I agree with you, and I don't think anyone is accusing him of being a martyr here, but it is ultimately a job. Hudler even said it was about the money in his interviews (which was refreshingly honest) and that he could play closer to home, in a still decent league, and that he was young and could still come back and contribute. That it happened to be a pretty good deal for the Wings was a happy side effect, but one I do think he (and Holland) was cognizant of.

Edited by egroen, 16 March 2010 - 10:29 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#56 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

Well I hope Hudler makes a decision long before the end of the season so Holland can get to work on signing a free agent or two for next season depending on what happens with the money coming off the books after this year.

Posted Image

#57 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

And if you did the same for the other players on the roster this year they would have the same point totals they had last year, barring games missed due to injury.

The Wings are scoring less this year, everyone's point totals are lower. That is what I meant by him probably not putting up as many points this year.

1) You miscomprehended my post... or maybe I just didn't make it clear, I meant to say that If last year if Hudler would have stayed scoring the same rate and had gotton the time Filppula had gotten Hudler would have a prorated Point total of 68.7, compared to Filppula's 40, and if he was given Z's icetime, he would have scored 78 points.

All this is subjective and assuming he would score at the same rate of toi, which he wouldn't but just saying he was more effective than them in terms of production

2)Filppula and Zetterberg are both scoring at better paces than they were last year.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#58 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:05 PM

If last year if Hudler would have stayed scoring the same rate and had gotton the time Filppula had gotten Hudler would have a prorated Point total of 68.7, compared to Filppula's 40, and if he was given Z's icetime, he would have scored 78 points.

Last year, if Hudler was given Filppula's even strength time on ice, he would have scored 36 even strength points, compared to Filppula's 36.

Given Zetterberg's ES TOI last year, Hudler would have scored 37 even strength points, compared to Zetterberg's 41.

Your stats are seriously skewed because you're not taking into account all the differences for even strength, short handed and power play.

Again, if Filppula (I'm not using Filppula here because I have a hard on for him, but because he's the closest comparison) was given Hudler's PP time, Filppula's point totals would have been very close to Hudler's actual total last year.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 16 March 2010 - 11:13 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#59 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

Just sayin' he won't be a PPG player in the NHL is all.
Im not against it...I just would not expect anything more then what he was before he went to the KHL.

A man can hope! Maybe some day he'll get there :) I think he could be a 70+ pt guy some day if he can improve his skating.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#60 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:26 AM

A part of me wouldn't mind Hudler back simply for entertainment purposes, the dude's pretty funny. :D