• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Phazon

Holmstrom has had a great season

Rate this topic

Homer has made a lot of important goals this season and one of few wings that has surpassed expectations. I remember at the begining on this season when people threw homer infront of the bus.

Edited by Phazon

Homer has played much better than expected. Coming into the season I figured he would have a far more diminished role based on the play of Franzen and Cleary, which is also probably why Homer ended up surprising many. Cleary had a great post-season last spring and Mule is Mule, so I for one thought that Homer was going to bow out to the younger talent. But after the Franzen injury and Cleary's mediocre play all season, Homer was able to step up into his usual spot and production.

Really great to see for him and he looks good healthy. Its sad to think of how many players we were hoping to step up and fill the void of all the lost offense and how instead nearly every player took a huge step back. Penciling guys like Filppula, Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Williams all in for 20+ goals and Franzen and Zetterberg in for 40+ goals and having not a one of them reach potential (granted some were injured for a good chunk) is the entire reason this team sits in the position it is today.

Holmstrom is still the best in the league at what he does.

It was really funny to see him score from the top of the circle a few days ago, the announcer was saying that my be his longest-distance goal.

Guest Lidstromboli

the other team's crease just wouldn't be the same if homer wasn't standing at the top of it

Homer has played much better than expected. Coming into the season I figured he would have a far more diminished role based on the play of Franzen and Cleary, which is also probably why Homer ended up surprising many. Cleary had a great post-season last spring and Mule is Mule, so I for one thought that Homer was going to bow out to the younger talent. But after the Franzen injury and Cleary's mediocre play all season, Homer was able to step up into his usual spot and production.

Really great to see for him and he looks good healthy. Its sad to think of how many players we were hoping to step up and fill the void of all the lost offense and how instead nearly every player took a huge step back. Penciling guys like Filppula, Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Williams all in for 20+ goals and Franzen and Zetterberg in for 40+ goals and having not a one of them reach potential (granted some were injured for a good chunk) is the entire reason this team sits in the position it is today.

yes! most of us really left him out as a goal scoring threat this year.

I've never seen a player that could hold a torch to the talent that Homer shows in front of the net. Hes the best at what he does. His role is simple. Stand infront of the net, battle for postiion and tip pucks. The guy might not be a good skater, and may not have a wicked wrister or slap shot, but the man gets the stick to the puck. best hand eye coordination ive seen. I was thinking that if he didnt have a career in hockey, the guy could have tried playing baseball with that kind of coordination. Two of his goals in the past week he has redirected shots that werent even ON net and put them in for goals. To be able to get the stick on the puck while getting nailed by other players is just astonishing, especially at his age and poor skaiting abilitiy haha. I dont know if he wants to keep playing for a few more years, but if he can keep producing like he is, i wouldnt mind having him back.

When he does retire its going to be so weird because the wings are going to have to find different ways to score, because noone seems to be as effective as him infront of the net.

I'm loving all the major homer love. and its well deserved.

Guest Lidstromboli
When he does retire its going to be so weird because the wings are going to have to find different ways to score, because noone seems to be as effective as him infront of the net.

i think Cleary plays the role pretty well, but he definitely isn't as good at tip-ins and deflections as Homer

His skill can't be measured in mere points - for instance, take Datsyuk's goal against Calgary. It was on the PP, so it won't affect his plus-minus, and he didn't get an assist on it, but without him would there have been a goal?

I'll be glad to have him back. Even if he gets a bit slow(er) and old(er) next year (though he may have a longer than usual summer rest...), he has certainly proved that he is an important cog in this team.

He's definitely been absolutely greet this year. Last summer I thought this should be his last but if he still wants to I think we should sign him in an instant.

I never doubted Holmer. He is indeed a master of creating the Crease ClusterFk and creating a quality scoring chance from it, wether it's one of his own goals or someone elses. It also leaves a lot of space on the ice for Dats to dangle. Thats Holmers role, he would not be nearly as effective on a 3rd or 4rth line.

For some reason, he reminds a lot of The Bill Lambeir of The Red Wings. One of the less gifted guys out there, but a very effective contributor while performing a somewhat uncommon specific role.

Bertuzzi, in his day, was also a force in front of the net. Great at tip ins, his M.O. was to cross check the Dman infront of him at the precise moment to free himself up for better access to the puck. Was so effective that oppossing teams complained and sent video to the NHL.

Edited by T.Low

This cat deserves to have his jersey hung up in the rafters i don't care what anyone else says he deserves it! I don't think people realize how much of an important piece he has been to this team over the years! Holmstrom and Lidstrom basically go hand in hand there a combo and there offensive success should be credited to each other. Holmstrom has so much heart and he takes such a beating just so we can have some success out there every nite! Homer is an inspiration to any kid out there trying to make it to the big time. I love Homer man he is a true Red Wing no doubt about that!

This cat deserves to have his jersey hung up in the rafters i don't care what anyone else says he deserves it! I don't think people realize how much of an important piece he has been to this team over the years! Holmstrom and Lidstrom basically go hand in hand there a combo and there offensive success should be credited to each other. Holmstrom has so much heart and he takes such a beating just so we can have some success out there every nite! Homer is an inspiration to any kid out there trying to make it to the big time. I love Homer man he is a true Red Wing no doubt about that!

I agree with all that!

If we retired Holmstroms number we would have to retire Shannys, Feds, Ozzys and more. I like how the Red Wings only retire the aboslute elite players.

No offense.

Edited by RedWingedKitten

Sorry Jake Ryan, looks like Kenny wants Ninety-Sux to stay:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/03/red_wings_gm_ken_holland_in_pr.html

CALGARY, Alberta -- Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland has had preliminary discussions with Howard Gourwitz, the agent for Tomas Holmstrom, in an effort to re-sign the 37-year forward.

They will resume talks after the Red Wings' current road trip, hoping to get a deal done before the start of the playoffs, when Holland postpones all contract discussions.

Holmstrom has 20 goals, including the game winner with 1:19 left in Monday's game, and is in the final year of a contract that pays him $2.25 million a season.

"I'm very happy, I'm sure Ken is happy about (Holmstrom's play), too," Gourwitz said. "Now, we have to sit down and take care of business."