• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cupforwings

Hawks talk about possible 1-8 match

Rate this topic

So, I was wrong about the numbers. Big freaking deal guys. :rolleyes: Just for you Louisville.

My point was not to overreact about how high we can finish. Let's just be happy to finish in the top 8. I'll take that at this point the way this season has gone. It's unlikely that we can finish as high as 5th or even 6th.

The problem here is you're pretending two different subsets of fans are the same group. There are plenty of people who were predicting doom, gloom, and no playoffs. Whatever. There were others, like myself, who said to keep the faith, we'll be just fine. And so far, we are just fine. I'm not saying we'll take the 5 seed, I'm saying it's only a few points away AND THE NUMBER YOU HAVE GIVEN US WAS FLAT OUT ******* WRONG. Stop deflecting, man up, and admit you were either wrong or abusing hyperbole like a redheaded stepchild.

Don't make me go MillerBrew on you.

I'm not in the mood.

A positive from this arguably negative season. Every year there is a lower seed team that is poised to make some noise, not necessarily a dark horse, but a lower seed that will cause trouble. Last year it was the Ducks as GMR pointed out. I am happy to say that team will be the Red Wings this season. We all know that this team is not a 7th or 8th seed and that is obviously why the Hawks would rather play someone else in the first round :). Paraphrasing the words of Kris Draper in 1998, we had been knocking on the front door for the past few of years, this year we are going to try sneaking in the back (even though the "back" was 3rd in the West then). And we all know what happened!

Edited by superstarsingh

So, I was wrong about the numbers. Big freaking deal guys. :rolleyes: Just for you Louisville.

My point was not to overreact about how high we can finish. Let's just be happy to finish in the top 8. I'll take that at this point the way this season has gone. It's unlikely that we can finish as high as 5th or even 6th.

Don't make me go MillerBrew on you.

I'm not in the mood.

Do what you have to, internet big guy. Do what you have to.

I don't sense fear from them at all.I think they respect the Wings,they may hate us a tad but also respect us at the same time.I have the utmost respect for these 2 fine young gentlemen.They're great hockey players on a good team.If they were on our team we'd love em.I think they're going to be stars in this league for years to come.Good for them.

Yeah except one of these fine young millionaires likes to f*** with Cabbies trying to eek out a living. I'll pass on Citizen Kane.

The interview was surprisingly enjoyable. Toews seems like a class act and Kane actually came across like a solid kid. I can't wait for the day when neither one of them look pubescent, though.

:rolleyes:

Are you kidding?

We still have to battle to get into the playoffs at all, and you're already talking about hoping that we'll finish 5th. We're like at least ten points behind 5th if not fifteen points behind.

As I said earlier, we're finishing anywhere from 7-9, and I'll take anything but 9.

What the hell are you reading. We are 6 points out of fifth place Colorado is in 5th with 86 points and we have 80. Both teams have played the same number of games.

Are all of your posts so completely wrong?

What the hell are you reading. We are 6 points out of fifth place Colorado is in 5th with 86 points and we have 80. Both teams have played the same number of games.

Are all of your posts so completely wrong?

Yes, they're all completely wrong.

Your posts are always completely right.

Keep up the good work chris. :thumbup:

Howard will suck

Lilja will never play again

Holmstrom should hang it up

Ericsson will be great this year

The Wings will miss the playoffs

Reasons that I don't take many of the posters on here seriously.

Well, Howard was a big ? since he barely had much NHL experience before this season. Thankfully he has pretty much proven everybody wrong. I would pay you $10 though if you would've predicted this to happen though.

It was quite possible that Lilja might not play again. Nothing was heard new of his condition until about a week or so before he finally got cleared to play again.

And it still might be entirely possible that the Wings still miss the playoffs, even though they greatly improved their chances Monday night. Almost as much as possible as them getting up to a 5 seed which GMR rolled his eyes like a smart allec at.

Way to go though with things that haven't nothing to do with the topic at hand though and the holier than thou attitude. Makes you look real good... :huh::unsure:

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I wonder if people forget sometimes that everyone. everywhere. always. has. access.

to what we type on the interwebs. I guess it's relatively easy to forget that it's not a peer to peer closed conversation.

or people just don't give a crap.

We're five points out of 5th, four points out of 6th.

As far as reaching a number 5 seed.....it's not all that comical actually. 5 points is not a huge deficit to overcome by season end. The Wings had a 4 point swing just this past week in coming from behind Calgary in the standings and now putting 3 points between them.

I'm not saying that the Wings won't get to the 5th or 6th spot but it seems like a pretty steep hill to climb. Currently:

Detroit: has 80 points, 34 wins, and has played 69 games.

Colorado (5th): now has 86 points, 40 wins, and has played 69 games.

LA (6th): has 85 points, 40 wins, and has played 68 games.

The problem is not just that it would take 6 points to tie us with Colorado but also that because they have one 6 more games than the Wings they win the tie breaker. So in essence we have to win at least 6 more games in the final 13 games than Colorado (at which point it would be decided by who has more points in games between the two teams which Detroit wins) or get 7 points more than Colorado. It is incredibly unlikely that we win 6 more games in the last 13 than Colorado so in essence we need 7 more points in the last 13 games in order to get ahead of them. While 7 points more than Colorado in 13 games is not impossible it is a tall order.

Regarding Los Angeles we have the same problems discussed above regarding having less wins and have the additional problem that they have a game in hand as well. Therefore we have to gain 6 points on them but we have to accumulate all our points in 13 games whereas they will have 14 games to accumulate theirs. Again, not impossible but a pretty tall order.

I do however, see 7th place as a realistic goal. They are only 3 points ahead of us (and have 5 more wins than we do) but on the plus side the Preds have also played one more game than the Wings and unlike the other two teams we still play them twice more. This to me is our most like advancement.

I wonder if people forget sometimes that everyone. everywhere. always. has. access.

to what we type on the interwebs. I guess it's relatively easy to forget that it's not a peer to peer closed conversation.

or people just don't give a crap.

You were great last night, Dan. Call me sometime.

My biggest concern about playing Chicago in the playoffs is that we beat them last year. There is a bit of a revenge factor there. We didn't play SJ, LA, or Colorado, so in all honesty, I'd rather take them. For some reason- and this is just a feeling I have- I feel that unless a rivalry has been established (like it was with Colorado in the past), the team that knocked you out last year is the team you want to beat this year. Feel free to disagree on that.

My biggest concern about playing Chicago in the playoffs is that we beat them last year. There is a bit of a revenge factor there. We didn't play SJ, LA, or Colorado, so in all honesty, I'd rather take them. For some reason- and this is just a feeling I have- I feel that unless a rivalry has been established (like it was with Colorado in the past), the team that knocked you out last year is the team you want to beat this year. Feel free to disagree on that.

Excellent point.

I think we'll have to go through Chicago at one point or another in these playoffs, so I wouldn't mind having them in the first round, it'd be some great hockey. I don't see them taking that 1st seed though. I see SJ keeping their #1 spot, Hawks at #2, us at #8. We'd have two pretty tough rounds, but this is all just my prediction, and what I'm hoping to see.

can i feel free to agree with this, too?

they'll have home ice, and the last thing they want is to get knocked out by the wings two years in a row, *especially* when they're the higher-seeded team. i think you've got to give the edge in terms of drive to chicago in that series: wings have been to the finals the last two years, won it two years ago, whereas chicago has not been recently and got beat by us last year. to me, that's HUGE motivation on their part that the wings just won't have. i'm not saying our guys won't be motivated...but i think their guys will be incredibly driven.

either way, i sort of hope that series happens (hopefully in the second round) just because it will be great, great hockey.

Thanks, sugar. I called. You thought it was great. I'll call again. Then I'll get back on top(ic).

I don't think any team really wants to see the Wings in the first round.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

If we make the playoffs I would rather face the San Jose Sharks than the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round. We have played fairly well against the Sharks all season, even with our injuries. I know it would be much sweeter to beat Chicago in the first round, but I would rather like to see this team build up their playoff tempo and take care of them in the Western Conference Finals. If you believe in miracles...

I am still just hoping for a playoff spot after everything that has happened this season.