• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mackel

What to do with Osgood next Year?

Rate this topic

Given the quality of play we've seen from Osgood and his reported frustration with a lack of playing time, is it possible he may retire/ask to be traded? Or could the Red Wings look to trade or demote him?

Consider that he is scheduled to make 1.1Mil with a cap hit of 1.42Mil and assuming he doesn't play much more/better this season (playoffs included) would it make sense from a team perspective to clear him off the books and target a new backup who could do the same job for less money? Examples from this season Yann Danis or Michael Leighton who each make roughly 60% less than Osgood would next year.

He played okay at the start of the year (better than last season), except for a few rough games, and his poor play recently isn't surprising due to how rusty he must be.

He's been the best post-season goalie two years in a row, and I certainly think he deserves another season. Leighton will get a raise in any event, and we've never seen him play in the playoffs...

Don't know about Danis.

1. Osgood is not frustrated. He has been a great mentor to Howard and the team has been taking note.

2. Osgood commented on the fact that both him and Howard didn't have a chance to start for a good month (Howard in November, Osgood in February) and it seems like that has been dealt with fine

3. Osgood will get more playing time next year because the team will most likely be healthy the majority of the year and wins won't be as hard to get as this year. Considering the team is 7-2 since the Olympic break (with Howard not playing like he did in February) I think they will be in good shape next year.

4. Howard still needs a mentor to get him through his sophomore year so he doesn't become the next Steve Mason or Dan Ellis. Plus he is a clutch playoff goaltender, and if Howard does bad this post-season or next Osgood would be the best backup available.

In short, he stays.

Examples from this season Yann Danis or Michael Leighton who each make roughly 60% less than Osgood would next year.

Leighton eh? I don't know if he'd get along with Howard.... :)

See:

1. Osgood is not frustrated. He has been a great mentor to Howard and the team has been taking note.

2. Osgood commented on the fact that both him and Howard didn't have a chance to start for a good month (Howard in November, Osgood in February) and it seems like that has been dealt with fine

3. Osgood will get more playing time next year because the team will most likely be healthy the majority of the year and wins won't be as hard to get as this year. Considering the team is 7-2 since the Olympic break (with Howard not playing like he did in February) I think they will be in good shape next year.

4. Howard still needs a mentor to get him through his sophomore year so he doesn't become the next Steve Mason or Dan Ellis. Plus he is a clutch playoff goaltender, and if Howard does bad this post-season or next Osgood would be the best backup available.

In short, he stays.

This! This! A thousand times: THIS!

The ideal goaltending situation is not to have a good goalie. The ideal goaltending situation is to have two good goalies at a very low price. We have the ideal goaltending situation.

Do you people (the trade/resign/demote Ozzie people) really think that the last 2 playoff runs are not reason alone to keep him? He's not a regular season player, for some reason. He gets it done in the playoffs. If Howard breaks down or is injured, Ozzie will calmly step up to the plate (so to speak) and deliver. If Howard does well, Ozzie will be there guiding him along, helping him, and providing support and advise.

You can't get that level of play in the playoffs, along with that kind of experience and that kind of mentoring, for much cheaper than we have Ozzie for.

I doubt very very much that Ozzie goes anywhere, he has been an incredible mentor for Howard, and we havent even got to the part of the year that Ozzie will be able to help him the most...PLAYOFFS! There is NO goalie in the league I would rather have mentally Preparing and helping Jimmy this post season then Oz! A big reason Jimmy has been GREAT is Ozzie in my opinion any how.

UNless Osgood gets money hungry (which is slim/none happening in all likelihood), he isn't going anywhere.

He may have been very inconsistent these past two seasons, but stepped up when it matter most at least the past two postseasons. He's probably natuarally frustrtated about not playing much lately, just simply wanting to play more due to competitve nature, but he's not throwing a temper tantrum about it or holding the team hostage or whatever. He's being a good sport about it and really helping Howard out in becoming a full-time NHLer.

Osgood may never fully have a #1 goalie job anymore, but he's earned the right IMO to retire whenever he wants to. He's given a helluva lot to this organization and still is underappreciated at times unfortuantely.

I want him to retire a Red Wings and certainly hope he does.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I think the savings from a lateral move with regard to the back goalie position would be a good thing. At this stage Osgood is purely a back up and a backup of equal ability can be inked for 500K less a year. That's 500K toward a resigned or new FA.

Same situation with Osgood as with Draper. That's 3 million bucks between the two of them that will be wasted for next year. It's shame but we have to wait an extra year to make that money useful.

Didn't we just have an identical thread like this last week?

For a guy that has made ONE start in 2010, Ozzie sure does garner a lot of attention around here. How can anyone even judge him at this point?

Always need something to complain about I guess...

I think the savings from a lateral move with regard to the back goalie position would be a good thing. At this stage Osgood is purely a back up and a backup of equal ability can be inked for 500K less a year. That's 500K toward a resigned or new FA.

Yeah, because Danis and Leighton are really lateral moves to Ozzie. :rolleyes:

Edited by GoWings1905

You find me a backup with Osgood's resume and mental focus in the post-season (who will take 500k), including a team that will take Osgood, also without tarnishing the loyal reputation the Wings have and I will say "bring him in!"

Otherwise Holland is keeping him for next year. Considering Howard is making roughly 750k (2.1 mil between them), I don't think that is too much money invested in goaltending.

Ozzie is probably a better option than anyone else the Wings could have for the same price. Realistically, other goalies in that price range will have had worse careers than Osgood, and be just as inconsistent if not worse. Either than or they will be someone in their first years in the league.

Also wondering what people are going to think if Howard keeps playing like he is (top 10 goalie in the league stats) and we have to give him a much bigger contract in the coming years. 2.1 on a goalie pair will likely be a dream in a few years.

Edited by vOrophin

Same situation with Osgood as with Draper. That's 3 million bucks between the two of them that will be wasted for next year. It's shame but we have to wait an extra year to make that money useful.

In the cap era it is a shame. It would be nice to hold onto players past their usefulness for all the sentimentalists on LGW.

In the cap era it is a shame. It would be nice to hold onto players past their usefulness for all the sentimentalists on LGW.

Draper sure has been playing a helluva lot better than last year. He's been a pretty reliable defensive forward (who doesn't know how to shoot the puck).

What has Draper done wrong? I mean Ozzie gets trashed and he never even plays, but Draper has been FAR better this season than last.

I think Draper has done fine in a fourth line role on the Wings' most consistent line with Helm and Eaves. He's still fast, solid defensively, and he can step in and win key face-offs. I'll take seven goals and a great consistent effort from a fourth line player.

Seriously? The goalie acquired in this lateral move will not be the mentor for Howard that Ozzie has been. The two have established a good relationship and Osgood knows fully well that he has now taken on the role that Cheveldae and later Vernon had when Osgood was younger. As Doc already pointed out, you will not find a backup with Ozzie's experience and with a resume even remotely close to his. How are you going to ditch a guy who is about to get to 400 wins and wants to retire a Wing?

Chris Osgood appreciates Jimmy Howard's rise

Of all the things that Bettman copied off the NBA (crappy penalties, crappy refs, extra extra promotion of the super-uber-stars, etc.), why couldn't he have brought in the policy of the veteran's minimum?

With this rule the Wings could have Drapes, Malts, Homer and Ozzie signed and it wouldn't count against the cap. May would be with Detroit instead of GR. Except they wouldn't be able to have contracts higher than 1.3mil per year. But still, that would create some valuable room for the Wings and many other teams I'm sure. Another reason to feel annoyed with him I guess.

We'd better keep him. Then we have relatively solid goaltending for cheap. Osgood has the potential to play pretty well if he gets in a groove. There aren't many guys that I'd rather have that we could also get cheap.

Of course, another question is how angry Osgood is with his treatment and if he'd want to leave. It must be difficult for him. He seems to love the organization and the city, but his career is almost over. He likely wants to play while he can, so it wouldn't be crazy for him to ask for a trade.

We'd better keep him. Then we have relatively solid goaltending for cheap. Osgood has the potential to play pretty well if he gets in a groove. There aren't many guys that I'd rather have that we could also get cheap.

Of course, another question is how angry Osgood is with his treatment and if he'd want to leave. It must be difficult for him. He seems to love the organization and the city, but his career is almost over. He likely wants to play while he can, so it wouldn't be crazy for him to ask for a trade.

Spot on. Not much cheaper you can go for a potential solid backup. Also given how some young goalies have been the past few years as in hot rookie year s***ty/OK sophomore year.

It's understandable why Jimmy has played so much. At the same time, have the Red Wings "lost" Osgood because he hasn't played many games this year? Will he again be able to play like the Ozzie of '08 and the '09 playoffs?

Of all the things that Bettman copied off the NBA (crappy penalties, crappy refs, extra extra promotion of the super-uber-stars, etc.), why couldn't he have brought in the policy of the veteran's minimum?

With this rule the Wings could have Drapes, Malts, Homer and Ozzie signed and it wouldn't count against the cap. May would be with Detroit instead of GR. Except they wouldn't be able to have contracts higher than 1.3mil per year. But still, that would create some valuable room for the Wings and many other teams I'm sure. Another reason to feel annoyed with him I guess.

Great point!!! +1000

I like Osgood where he is and I don't see any problem with him being in the roster for next season. He is, like already mentioned, being a great mentor för Howard and come PlayOff time he will be a great asset to help Howard or even step in if Howard has a break-down or an injury!!

Go Ozzie and Go Wings!!!

Its gonna be a great 10 games!!!