• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gnredwing

Free Agents

Rate this topic

This is a likely scenario.

I would make the arguement that Hudler plays out his contract and stays in Russia next year and that the Wings release Bertuzzi.

Ritola is out of minor league options and he will be fighting for 12/13th forward. If the Wings re-sign him as a RFA.

Using your numbers:

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($2.000m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / FREE AGENT

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.100m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.250m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / Drew Miller ($0.525m)

Mattais Ritola ($0.600m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($3.450m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Andreas Lilja ($1.250m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

Chris Osgood ($1.417m)

That leaves $3.775m to sign a 2nd line winger OR $4.937m if they want to spend to the cap.

I don't want Hudler back here.Depending on how Bertuzzi plays down the stretch,he may or may not get another contract offer from Kenny.There's still a lot up in the air as far as the way the lineup may look next year,such as Maltby with his shoulder and whether Kenny re-signs some guys such as Drew Miller,Jason Williams,Brad May,Bret Lebda,Andreas Lilja, and Patrick Eaves.I've heard Rafalski trade whispers,and obviously the goaltending situation makes it even more complex,but This is what i want us to look like:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Filppula-Zetterberg-McAmmond

Cleary-Abdelkader-Miller

Torres-Johnson-Eaves

Draper&May

Lidstrom-Seabrook

Stuart-Kronwall

Ericsson-Sutton

Kindl

Kyle Wellwood is useless, or he would be on this team. There are better options than him. When he was a Leaf, he was lazy and he sucked. I am not entirely sure if anything has changed too significantly as in Vancouver he is on a much better team and is surrounded with better talent. He is said to have a poor work ethic (shows) and bringing him to play in Detroit makes little to no sense to me. The team could stay the same and I would not mind. Bring Abs up and hopefully Hudler returns and that should be good enough baring retirements.

Edited by superstarsingh

For next season anyway, I can't see Kenny getting handcuffed into another long-term deal. This probably means no top-six forward, unless it comes through trade somehow. Kenny might have no choice but to spring for a big one or two year deal for a goaltender (turco? chris mason??)

of course, there's also a huge possibility that Lids hangs them up. If that's the case, the Kenny's needs would drastically change.

What about RFA's who do you guys think is worth the cost ? i'd say the only ones i'd pay the price for are Backstrom,Kesler and maybe...maybe Ryan. I wouldn't mind it at ll if Kenny boy gve up some picks for these guys especially Backstrom as young as he is hes awsome now and is only getting better. I'm not sure but what exactly does it cost for say i guy like Backstrom ? Drake you seem to know alot in this area.

Honestly, you'd have to offer Backstrom much more than 6 million and for a very long term. If you want him shorter term we're talking like 8 million a season ore more before the Caps would let you take him. This kid is going to be a superstar. I think he'd be worth offering 7 million a season for 8 years or something along those lines but even that is something the Caps would likely have to match. You'd pay out your nose for him in picks too.

If the Wings offered Datsyuk for Backstrom straight-up I don't think they'd take the deal. That's just how valuable he is. A kid that's that good at such a young age is worth his weight in gold. (and no I'm not saying he's better than Datsyuk now, I just think the Caps would value his future offensive potential too much to make that trade... they want to keep their core of Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin intact)

I do think you might be able to buy Semin from the Caps because there's no way they can afford to keep all three and have a competitive team without Semin and Backstrom taking big paycuts to sign super long term deals. Backstrom deserves more than the Kane/Toews deals and those would be the minimum deals for a guy like Semin. Semin might not be putting gaudy numbers up right now but he was a 1.42 pt/game player last season and held the scoring lead for a brief period if my memory serves me.

For next season anyway, I can't see Kenny getting handcuffed into another long-term deal. This probably means no top-six forward, unless it comes through trade somehow. Kenny might have no choice but to spring for a big one or two year deal for a goaltender (turco? chris mason??)

of course, there's also a huge possibility that Lids hangs them up. If that's the case, the Kenny's needs would drastically change.

There is zero chance Kenny buys a big name goalie unless Howard has a spectacular melt-down this season or in the playoffs. And I mean worse than Legacy had.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I don't think the Wings need to worry too much about free agents. I really like the team we have now (with the exception of Bertuzzi and/or Williams) and I don't think we need another "Hossa-like" deal that will put us right along the cap. However, If Lidstrom retires, Holland will have no choice but to go after a Defenseman.

I doubt there are any large signings in the offseason, though I would not be against it.

Seeing a Z/Filpulla/Hudler line would be sick though, Hudler put up 57 and Fil put up 40 with Sammy, imagine the damage they might be able to do with Z...

It all hinges on Lidstrom's decision, but I think the odds are very good at a big-name signing. The only reason one wasn't made last year was because the Cap pretty much had Holland's hands tied.

I think we see Williams leave for sure. He was a stop-gap measure and his spot could be given to an impact player.

Bertuzzi MIGHT come back. He's played solidly but Holland may want to try and improve the team rather than just hope he has another good season.

Eaves and Miller get resigned, I think this is a no brainer. Along with Helm these guys are our replacements for Draper and Maltby. Not saying that Draper and Maltby won't be around next year, just that eventually they won't be and we need those kids when the time comes.

I think Holland's summer signings have worked out better than anyone could have hoped (with the exception of Williams), so I think they'll largely stay intact. But I do expect Holland to make some sort of splash to give this team a much needed offensive edge.

Let me just preface by saying I do NOT think this is going to happen...

I'd love to see the Wings sign David Clarkson to an offer sheet, or trade for his rights and negotiate a deal with him...

The guy has shown solid skill and a nose for the net and isn't afraid of anyone, a true power forward in the making and kind of reminds me of a less offensive Brendan Shanahan, but with more heavyweight power... I think the guy could be good for 20g,20a year in/year out and would look great in the Winged wheel...

I dont think the big name signing will happen unless Lids hangs them up.

I can however see a signing like Colby Armstrong instead of Bert and would love that signing. Armstrong is a great player. I don't wanna see WWellwood(hes lazy and he sucks.. not joking), and I think Torres could be a decent player here. Armstrong and Torres are both fairly physical players but can still produce, kinda like a younger Bert so I could see them replacing him on teh roster.

Oh and if we could sign Clarkson off an offer sheet I would go nuts. He's the fighter everyone talks about here. Can play and fight, he's like a young Chris Neil or maybe Mccarty sinceh e's more of a light heavy.

For me, I dont see any way that Jersey lets Clarkson go anywhere. According to Capgeek.com they have just under $16M in cap space next season and their only impending RFAs are David Clarkson, Rod Pelley, and Mark Fraser. Their only impending UFAs are Ilya Kovalchuk, Rob Neidermayer, Dean McAmmond, Paul Martin, Mike Mottau, Martin Skoula, and Yann Danis.

Even with ppl saying Kovalchuk wants like $10M or $11M a year it seems like they'd have a shot at working it out. But hey, that's just me. Maybe The Devils opt to sign Kovalchuck for $10M/yr and Martin for $5M/yr and somehow fill out their roster with scrubs leaving Clarkson on the outs. Strangely I doubt that happens but maybe.

Either way, I doubt that happens.

To me, hudler comes back. Kovalchuk doesnt end up with $10M anywhere because no one has that space and is willing to give that much to any one guy and Clarkson stays in Jersey. One day Semin ends up moving, most likely after next season because he'll want too much money and Washington will be handcuffed. Backstrom breaks 95 pts this season and re-signs for minimum $6.5M in Washington.

Actually, someone should realyl start a thread to discuss Washington's cap and long term plans. Backstrom and Fleischmann are due for big raises this summer. Varlamov will be due for a big raise after next season as well and that's when Semin's contract expires. All the while Mike Green only has two years left after this year and is easily proving to be the most explosive offensive d-man in the league and will only be 27 when his deal expires.

Sorry I got so side tracked....

Let me just preface by saying I do NOT think this is going to happen...

I'd love to see the Wings sign David Clarkson to an offer sheet, or trade for his rights and negotiate a deal with him...

The guy has shown solid skill and a nose for the net and isn't afraid of anyone, a true power forward in the making and kind of reminds me of a less offensive Brendan Shanahan, but with more heavyweight power... I think the guy could be good for 20g,20a year in/year out and would look great in the Winged wheel...

I know this is an unlikely scenario but I am all for it. Clarkson is awesome! He is capable of scoring and can hit and fight which is exactly the sort of player this team is lacking. Shanahan? Maybe. I think he is more of McCarty type of guy. He hits, he grinds it out, he chips in with some goals (key goals as well) and he is well capable of dropping the gloves. I think Clarkson is a bit better positionally than D-Mac too.

It all hinges on Lidstrom's decision, but I think the odds are very good at a big-name signing. The only reason one wasn't made last year was because the Cap pretty much had Holland's hands tied.

I think we see Williams leave for sure. He was a stop-gap measure and his spot could be given to an impact player.

Bertuzzi MIGHT come back. He's played solidly but Holland may want to try and improve the team rather than just hope he has another good season.

Eaves and Miller get resigned, I think this is a no brainer. Along with Helm these guys are our replacements for Draper and Maltby. Not saying that Draper and Maltby won't be around next year, just that eventually they won't be and we need those kids when the time comes.

I think Holland's summer signings have worked out better than anyone could have hoped (with the exception of Williams), so I think they'll largely stay intact. But I do expect Holland to make some sort of splash to give this team a much needed offensive edge.

The Wings will be in a tight spot if they keep Eaves and Miller AND Maltby returns. Ritola is out of minor options and they definitely don't want to give up on him so he'll be up in Detroit as well. What would the forward group look like?

Filppula-Zetterberg-___?___

Eaves-Helm-Cleary

Miller-Draper-Abdelkader

Ritola

If you add Hudler and a FA signing to that group some players have to go. There's no room for Maltby, either. This team definitely needs to add scoring in the offseason so that means something has to give. Bertuzzi wants to return as well, so where do you put him? If you add him to Zetterberg's wing the team will still struggle to score. I'm sure a huge part of the scoring drought has been injuries, but Holland can't risk another garbage season to prove that theory out.

Filppula-Zetterberg-___?___

Eaves-Helm-Cleary

Miller-Draper-Abdelkader

Ritola

This is all completely true. From everything that was heard a few months ago there seemed to be interest on both sides (wings and Bertuzzi) of having Bertuzzi return. But I think if that were to happen it'd be as a third line role. Even though he had some good stretches he jsut cant produce enough to be a top six guy. So, you're right, the question is what gives? It becomes a series of questions:

Miller vs. Maltby vs Ritola

Hudler vs. FA

Permanently keep Fil in the top six or is he still better suited as the third line centre?

Do we elevate Helm into our third line centre and expose Draper as our fourth line centre?

Or has Draper rejuvenated his career because he's been moved to the Wing?

Does ABdelkader fit better as a 4th line winger? Do we break up our energy line? Or do we try and force Abs on our third and sacrifice some scoring out of that line?

Personally in some ways it'd be interesting to see a line up like:

Franzen - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler/FA

Bertuzzi - Abdelkader - Cleary

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Ritola

Problem with that is we give up on Miller and personally I think he earned his right to be here. But then, even if he is here, how does he fit? Obviously through the course of a season injuries happen and he'd get time but do you trade and give up on Ritola to keep Miller? At least that way you get an asset in return. When Ritola was up he played decently so maybe that's the route to go. Get an asset in return and resign Miller hopefully for approx 600-750k. THen again, it all depends on how much he wants. Being as he has never been a full time NHLer I cant imagine he'd want that much money.

All of this really only gets more confusing if Maltby insists on coming back because we all know Holland will honour that request and then we may have to say good-bye to Bertuzzi and Miller to hold onto Ritola and Maltby and in my opinion that would be a big mistake.

Edited by mmamolo

Guest lilja4mvp

they need another top 6 forward that isn't hudler

send stuart packing and go after frolov or something.

Edited by lilja4mvp

they need another top 6 forward that isn't hudler

send stuart packing and go after frolov or something.

So you would rather lose Stuart (who behind Lids, has been our best dman this season) in efforts to sign Frolov who will cost $4-5 million per season when you could have Stuart and Hudler for roughly the same cost? I am not even going to compare Frolov and Hudler because that has been overdone on this site. Hudler can do everything Frolov can at a much lesser price.

Guest lilja4mvp

So you would rather lose Stuart (who behind Lids, has been our best dman this season)

stuart is pretty expendable right now. he's a horrible value at 3.75. "bububububububu the DEFENSE! bubububububu the PK!" take a look at his +/- and his absolutely awful PK #s.

in efforts to sign Frolov who will cost $4-5 million per season when you could have Stuart and Hudler for roughly the same cost?

hudler would be honoring his previous contract at 2.8

frolov would likely take less than a 6.55 mil cap hit to sign.

I am not even going to compare Frolov and Hudler because that has been overdone on this site. Hudler can do everything Frolov can at a much lesser price.

you're insane. first we have one clown that says filppula is a better passer than hudler, now you think there's nothing frolov does better than hudler.

wings fans really love to overrate their 2nd/3rd line players.

Edited by lilja4mvp

So you would rather lose Stuart (who behind Lids, has been our best dman this season) in efforts to sign Frolov who will cost $4-5 million per season when you could have Stuart and Hudler for roughly the same cost? I am not even going to compare Frolov and Hudler because that has been overdone on this site. Hudler can do everything Frolov can at a much lesser price.

Stuart's Cap Hit - $3.75M

Hudler's Cap Hit - $2.875M

Total= $6.625

Even if Frolov signed for something insanely expensive like $5M that leaves you an additional $1.625.

That being said I personalyl don't think we should get go after Frolov at the expense of Stuart and Hudler but Im just saying you're argument wasnt exactly fair.

On a related note, does anyone know exactly how the Hudler situation works in terms of how much control the Wings have. If Hudler up and opts out of his KHL contract can he just flat out say, I'm coming back or do the Wings have to approve him coming back. They have a contract in place so I'm wondering can the Wings say hey look we want you to wait another year before you come back or would their hand be forced into taking him back whenever he feels like coming? Any one know?

I think everyone's hopes for Hudler to return are a little too high. He'd be stupid to come back with the kind of money he's making in Russia.

On offense I'd let go of:

Williams - He's been useless this year, and even if he played every game this year he isn't even on par for more than 30 points.

Bertuzzi - Save for 1 stinkin' month, he has been equally useless.

Maltby - Do I need to explain?

May - Same

Resign Holmstrom, bring up Abdelkader and Ritola.

I'd leave a spot open for a 2nd/3rd line winger. Specifically, I'd target someone who plays with a bit of an edge and has some size, but can also go to the net. This player would effectively replace Bertuzzi. Miller and Eaves pretty much showed that they can fill Williams spot. Maltby really doesn't need to be replaced...

It would look something like this:

Filppula-Zetterberg- ________

Cleary-Helm-Eaves

Miller-Draper-Abdelkader

Ritola

On defense I'd let go of:

Lebda - The past couple of years he's never really had a solidified spot in the line-up and continues to jostle between being the #6 and #7 dman. He's pretty much a dime a dozen and we need to make room for Kindl, since he is on a one way next season. If Detroit resigns both Lebda and Lilja, the latter of which I believe will be resigned, they'll risk losing Meech or Kindl for nothing in the same fashion they did Quincey.

Resign Lilja

Looking like:

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

Lilja-Ericsson/Kindl

Meech

In goal

no changes

Howard

Osgood

Drake if Lids retires do the Wings take his 7.5 mill and offer Backstrom the full 7.5 you think thats enough ?and just use the money they save by not signing guys like Williams and others to bring up other guys? what is the Caps cap like right now ?

I would rather have Hudler and Stuart for a bit more money than Frolov. I will never understand this love for him on these boards. Frolov had 59 points in 77 games last year while consistently playing in the top 6. Hudler has 57 in 82 while playing in limited minutes. Given the same ice time over a season, I feel Hudler's numbers would trump Frolov's. If Hudler comes back, he is at $2.85, Frolov will cost more. Stuart has played well. Yes, lets look at plus minus on the PK and blame solely Brad Stuart. That does not make sense. Stuart has logged a lot of minutes this year and as I have said, he has played well. It should also be noted that Stuart is an enabler for Kronwall to do what he does (jump up for big hits, pinch, join a rush). At the end of the day, Hudler over Frolov in my opinion but is Frolov wants to play for 2.8 million? Why not.

Edited by superstarsingh

I think that New Jersey has been a poor fit for Kovalchuk, I doubt that he would want to stay unless things really improve. I would love to see Holland go after him July 1st, maybe even trade Filppula for the rights to Kovie and Clarkson?

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi/Clarkson

Cleary - Abdelkader - Clarkson/Bertuzzi

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Miller

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Lilja - Ericsson

Kindl

Howard

Osgood

I think this would change alot of the negative perceptions about the team (size, toughness, fighters, finishing ability) and make us a very tough team to play against. We would be right against the cap until guys like Rafalski, Cleary, Stuart, Draper came off the books, but I think something big has to be done to make this year the exception, not the norm.

FORWARDS

Ilya Kovalchuk - $7,000,000

Pavel Datsyuk - $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg - $6,083,333

Johan Franzen - $3,954,545

Daniel Cleary - $2,800,000

Kris Draper - $1,583,333

David Clarkson - $1,500,000

Todd Bertuzzi - $1,400,000

Tomas Holmstrom - $1,250,000

Darren Helm - $1,000,000

Justin Abdelkader - $1,000,000

Patrick Eaves - $750,000

Drew Miller - $600,000

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski - $6,000,000

Brad Stuart - $3,750,000

Nicklas Lidstrom - $3,500,000

Niklas Kronwall - $3,000,000

Andreas Lilja - $1,000,000

Jonathan Ericsson - $900,000

Jakub Kindl - $883,333

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood - $1,416,666

Jimmy Howard - $716,666

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER SIZE - 22

SALARY CAP - $56,800,000

PAYROLL - $56,787,876

CAP SPACE - $12,124

Man that'd be awesome. Cleary can be a second liner as long as he is supposed to be like Holmstrom. Cleary is to Zetterberg as Holmstrom is to Datsyuk. Zetterberg just needs a shooter.

I just don't know how Holland feels about having a supposedly relatively high maintenance Russian.

* Patrick Marleau ($6.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / * Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.700m)

* Patrick Eaves ($0.750m) / * Darren Helm ($1.000m) / * Dave Clarkson ($1.500m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Drew Miller ($0.650m)

* Mattias Ritola ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

* Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.500m) / * Anton Volchenkov ($3.000m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / * Anton Babchuk ($1.500m)

* Zbynek Michalek ($1.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($0.717m) / Chris Osgood ($1.417m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.688m; CAP ROOM: $0.112m BONUSES: $0.000m

:)

Seriously though, I'd like to see us make a play for either Kovie or Marleau. If we couldn't work something out (and probably couldn't), Hudler coming back would be my next choice.

The shopping list, if Kenny has the cap space to write one, should ask for an unquestionable top six forward. Not a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Maybe a defensive defenseman who doesn't need offense in order to play well defensively. We don't know what Lils will do after this year.