Sat Mar 27, 2010 - Red Wings @ Predators

Tue Mar 30, 2010 - Oilers @ Red Wings

Thu Apr 1, 2010 - Blue Jackets @ Red Wings

Sat Apr 3, 2010 - Predators @ Red Wings

Sun Apr 4, 2010 - Red Wings @ Flyers

Wed Apr 7, 2010 - Blue Jackets @ Red Wings

Fri Apr 9, 2010 - Red Wings @ Blue Jackets

Sun Apr 11, 2010 - Red Wings @ Blackhawks

Well we've got 13 games left and we are 3 points ahead of 9th place Calgary. I've highlighted the games that, atleast in my mind, the Red Wings should have no problem winning. As you can see, we have six games lower tier teams and italicized our two games against Nashville, which is a middle of the road team. I think we have a favorable schedule given the playoff race. We have a total of 8 games which we SHOULD be able to win. Now I am expecting the Wings to lose a couple to teams they shouldn't and vice versa. Ideally, we will win around 8 games of the last 13 with maybe an OT loss or two.

I disagree, and don't think that there are any games that we will "have no problem winning." Every game is going to be a tough one. Furthermore, the blue jackets haven't been very motivated lately, and you can bet they will be up for Detroit. We swept them last year, and there is nothing that the Blue Jackets would like better then to play the role of spoiler, especially against Detroit.

I agree, though, we should "theoretically" have no problem beating Edmonton, but since we always play lower tier teams badly, I think it'll be a good game. Overall though, I think our schedule is reasonably favorable. It all depends on which version of the 2010 Detroit Red Wings shows up game in and game out.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I disagree, and don't think that there are any games that we will "have no problem winning." Every game is going to be a tough one. Furthermore, the blue jackets haven't been very motivated lately, and you can bet they will be up for Detroit. We swept them last year, and there is nothing that the Blue Jackets would like better then to play the role of spoiler, especially against Detroit.

I agree, though, we should "theoretically" have no problem beating Edmonton, but since we always play lower tier teams badly, I think it'll be a good game. Overall though, I think our schedule is reasonably favorable. It all depends on which version of the 2010 Detroit Red Wings shows up game in and game out.

What I mean by saying we should have no problem winning is that we are simply a better team in every aspect and winning should not be as difficult as it would against a Chicago or Vancouver, etc

34 1-goal games played this season, with 18 resulting in losses in regualtion, overtime or shootout. That's too many.

Really puts in perspective where we could be and how fortunate we are to even be in the picture right now.

Love your stats!

Edited by ilmickeyli

To the OP: Keep in mind how solid STL is playing at the moment and March 24th is just a week away. On top of that, if CHI and SJ keep their current lead over Vancouver and one of those two teams seperate themselves from the other by 3 (or more) points, there's a reasonable chance CHI will bench players the final game of the season.

None of the games are given, but its reasonable to say some "should" be easier than others.

Really puts in perspective where we could be and how fortunate we are to even be in the picture right now.

Love your stats!

Keep in mind how many of those 1 goal losses were with an injured team though... still a scary stat, but keep it in perspective...

We've had troubles against both the Oilers and the Blues lately.

This Wings team has been guilty all year of taking games off, so I'm not sure which games we should have no trouble winning.

Yeah, we're a better team on paper than those others, but based on that, we won't lose any more than 1 or 2 games the rest of the year. That's not the way it works, though. Games aren't decided on paper.

No such thing as a given game in this sport. Pretty sure we have already lost to all three of those teams this season. Edmonton even blew us out one game. We also were beat by the Islanders 6-0, lost to Carolina, Toronto, Dallas, etc. I remember those being games we should have had no problem winning.

I hope the Wings employ a more dire mindset than assumptions and pushovers. Every game the rest of the season is as important as every other game. We are playing to make the playoffs, and even the teams that are ahead of us can theoretically be caught in the standings.

I also think this is a favorable schedule that will allow them, if the continue to play well, to make the playoffs handily. But that's the thing- they've got to beat the basement dwellers AND beat the decent/good teams as well. It's still also going to depend on what Calgary and to a lesser extent Nashville do with the rest of their seasons. If both those teams go on a good win streak, the margin for error for Detroit will get smaller every time they win.

Here's to the Wings continuing to win 4 out of every 5 and Calgary not going unbeaten down the stretch.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 - Red Wings @ Oilers

Sat Mar 20, 2010 - Red Wings @ Canucks

Mon Mar 22, 2010 - Penguins @ Red Wings

Wed Mar 24, 2010 - Blues @ Red Wings

Fri Mar 26, 2010 - Wild @ Red Wings

Sat Mar 27, 2010 - Red Wings @ Predators

Tue Mar 30, 2010 - Oilers @ Red Wings

Thu Apr 1, 2010 - Blue Jackets @ Red Wings

Sat Apr 3, 2010 - Predators @ Red Wings

Sun Apr 4, 2010 - Red Wings @ Flyers

Wed Apr 7, 2010 - Blue Jackets @ Red Wings

Fri Apr 9, 2010 - Red Wings @ Blue Jackets

Sun Apr 11, 2010 - Red Wings @ Blackhawks

Well we've got 13 games left and we are 3 points ahead of 9th place Calgary. I've highlighted the games that, atleast in my mind, the Red Wings should have no problem winning. As you can see, we have six games lower tier teams and italicized our two games against Nashville, which is a middle of the road team. I think we have a favorable schedule given the playoff race. We have a total of 8 games which we SHOULD be able to win. Now I am expecting the Wings to lose a couple to teams they shouldn't and vice versa. Ideally, we will win around 8 games of the last 13 with maybe an OT loss or two.

If the Wings only manage to win 7 of the 13 then the Flames have to win 9 of 13. I like our chances with at LEAST 5-6 games that Detroit will win for sure.

We've had troubles against both the Oilers and the Blues lately.

This Wings team has been guilty all year of taking games off, so I'm not sure which games we should have no trouble winning.

Yeah, we're a better team on paper than those others, but based on that, we won't lose any more than 1 or 2 games the rest of the year. That's not the way it works, though. Games aren't decided on paper.

Too true. I hope that they will have gotten over that and realized that this is crunch time and they can't take even shift off. Anyway, I hope they realize it.

After looking at that schedule, my hopes immediately went up, and I started to have visions of 5th seed, but then as usual the pessimism started to creep in and I was reminded of how many game we "should have won" this season that we let slip away, or just never showed up in the first place (the Islanders comes to the forefront). I'm not convinced that it is not due in part to fatigue after playing 4 seasons worth of games in the last 3, but most of it has to be mental at this point, they just appear to get rattled easier than we are used to, and they have a bad habit of playing down to the level of their competition, which they absolutely cannot do and hope to make the playoffs.

If the Wings only manage to win 7 of the 13 then the Flames have to win 9 of 13. I like our chances with at LEAST 5-6 games that Detroit will win for sure.

Not that I will be holding my breath for Calgary losses every game they play, as I don't think we can ever count on another teams losses to get us into the playoffs so, just as reference:

CALGARY'S REMAINING GAMES/STATS

Fri, Mar 19 San Jose (1-1) both games were at SJ*

Sun, Mar 21 @ Minnesota (1-3) even home/away games - road win, one OT Loss)**

Tue, Mar 23 Anaheim (1-2) win at home, two road losses - one being shootout loss

Thu, Mar 25 @ NY Islanders only meeting of the year for these two teams

Sat, Mar 27 @ Boston again, first and only meeting of the year

Sun, Mar 28 @ Washington i'm seeing a trend.

Wed, Mar 31 Phoenix (1-2) win at home, two road losses - one being a shootout loss.

Fri, Apr 2 @ Colorado (1-4) win @ colorado/ 3 home loss - 1 in shootout 1 road loss

Sun, Apr 4 @ Chicago (0-3) 2 home loses and an OT loss @CHI

Tue, Apr 6 San Jose *

Thu, Apr 8 Minnesota **

Sat, Apr 10 @ Vancouver (3-2) 2-1@ home / 1-1 away - win in shootout

EDIT: Clarity

Edited by e_prime