• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 RedWings Gone Wild

RedWings Gone Wild

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

Let me preface this by saying that the posts are purely by the numbers, and that there is more to the MVP award than pure numbers (leadership, team standings, etc etc).

The results? Lidstrom is the 2nd most valuable player of this season (#1 is not a shocker), and Stuart is the least valuable player, which I found surprising. At the very least I take this as verification that Lidstrom has not lost a step, as many have asserted. I don't think the posts show the whole picture with Stuart though, because he logs a ton of time, a lot of which has been spent with glorified AHLers this year....

Thought some of you may find these posts to be interesting.

Least Valuable Post

Most Valuable Post

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,724 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

I guess other people don't overrate Stuart the way we do here. :D
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

Do not agree with Stuart being THE least valuable player in the league... He is a huge reason the wings were able to hang around while our entire team was hurt.. that seems pretty valuable. It looks like this guy is going purely off stats which is an awful way to do this list

#4 RedWings Gone Wild

RedWings Gone Wild

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

Do not agree with Stuart being THE least valuable player in the league... He is a huge reason the wings were able to hang around while our entire team was hurt.. that seems pretty valuable. It looks like this guy is going purely off stats which is an awful way to do this list

Yes, as I said, it is strictly based off the #s, and as I said there is more to being valuable or not than simply numbers. I still find it interesting.

#5 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

Disagree. Stuart has been solid this season.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#6 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

Its interesting that Lidstrom and Stuart's PK numbers are so different...don't they usually kill penalties together?
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#7 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

*looks at the poll on the MVP page*

Hmm, one of these things is not like the other...

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#8 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

This is just another example that numbers can be bent and twisted to look anyway the author wants.

Stuart is far far far from the least valuable player in the league.

He's not having a great season by any means, but it's a joke to have him last.

#9 lilja4mvp

lilja4mvp

i hate you all

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

stuart's NTC is up after this season.

time to cut that 3.75 mil loose. see ya, brad.

#10 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

if stuart ia the leat valuable player, what the f*** is dan cleary?

#11 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

How stupid. We needed stuart this past year. We'd be f***ed without him.

#12 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

If you take MVP literally, not sure how it's Ovechkin, his team has a better record (7-2) without him in the line up than with him. In those 7 wins, they scored 40 goals (5.7 goals per game).

#13 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

I'll take Brad Stuart over a hell of a lot more guys any day of the week and three times on Sunday.

Least valuable player, my ass.
Posted Image

#14 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

Its interesting that Lidstrom and Stuart's PK numbers are so different...don't they usually kill penalties together?

When Kronner was out he killed with Ericsson or Lebda mostly I thought.

if stuart ia the leat valuable player, what the f*** is dan cleary?

Stuart didn't have the luxury of being injured.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#15 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:19 AM

Disagree. Stuart has been solid this season.

He's been uneven. Amazing for the first half of the season, pretty much carrying the defense himself it seemed like. After christmas until the Olympic break he was kinda terrible, but after the break he has got it together again and is playing solid.
But he's definitely not the least valuable player in the league. Two of the biggest things he does for us, hits and blocked shots, are not taken into account there.

#16 lets go pavel

lets go pavel

Pacifiers are for pansies. I chew pucks!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:16 AM

Not I sure I buy into these statistics entirely. If I'm understanding correctly, they are based on what they are calling "relative +/-", which means they take the player's on-ice goal differential 5-on-5, PP, and PK, then subtract the goal-differential of his team in those same situiations when he's off the ice ... if the player is better than the team average, it enhances his +/-. If the player is worse, his score drops. Ideally this compensates for the disparity between players on a good team and players on a bad team ... but no system is perfect. Players in a non-scoring role will inevitably be penalized because the team scores more with them off the ice than on it.

This is most noticeable with Stuart's PP number. Stuart's PP # is a -8.4, but he's rarely on the PP. Has he been on the ice for this many shorthanded goals against? No ... what's making his number so bad is that with his limited PP time he's been on the ice for very few PP goals. Compare him to the rest of the team and his number drops. Hypothetically he could be a +10, but if his team is +18.4 with him off the ice, he ends up with a -8.4.

5-on-5 and PK are probably not as flawed for him because he does log plenty of ice time there, but I wonder how much of that is due to rotating cast of defensemen he's been paired with? In any case, not a great statistical year for Stuart, but least valuable? Not even close ...

Edited by lets go pavel, 18 March 2010 - 07:17 AM.

"The one thing I love about Datsyuk, and there is much to love, is that no other player is like him. And, at least in recent history, it's hard to think of any player who has really been like him. He is a unique freak of nature in how he stick checks and operates in tight quarters. It's amazing how he deceives people from a stand-still position or when he isn't moving very fast. He is hockey's David Blaine." -- John Buccigross

#17 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

Stuarts been playing good and he will step up his game when the playoffs come.

#18 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

Lidstrom's effect always blows me away. From the article:

His penalty killing work is particularly telling. When he's on the ice, the Red Wings give up 3.45 goals per 60 minutes, a rate that is better than the top overall PK teams in the league. When he's on the bench, the Wings give up 8.36 goals per 60 minutes, which would rank among the worst.

That is crazy. :yowza:
Basically, whomever plays on the PK with Lidstrom is automatically a part of the best penalty killing unit in the league.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#19 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:51 AM

Does the least valuable player in the league need to be a non-injured player?

If not, then two words - Rick DiPietro.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#20 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:18 AM

How can Stuart be least valuable if you don't even talk about cap hit there?

I mean he's overpaid, but certainly has been better this season than before.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!