• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWings Gone Wild

NHL's most and least valuable players

Rate this topic

Let me preface this by saying that the posts are purely by the numbers, and that there is more to the MVP award than pure numbers (leadership, team standings, etc etc).

The results? Lidstrom is the 2nd most valuable player of this season (#1 is not a shocker), and Stuart is the least valuable player, which I found surprising. At the very least I take this as verification that Lidstrom has not lost a step, as many have asserted. I don't think the posts show the whole picture with Stuart though, because he logs a ton of time, a lot of which has been spent with glorified AHLers this year....

Thought some of you may find these posts to be interesting.

Least Valuable Post

Most Valuable Post

Do not agree with Stuart being THE least valuable player in the league... He is a huge reason the wings were able to hang around while our entire team was hurt.. that seems pretty valuable. It looks like this guy is going purely off stats which is an awful way to do this list

Do not agree with Stuart being THE least valuable player in the league... He is a huge reason the wings were able to hang around while our entire team was hurt.. that seems pretty valuable. It looks like this guy is going purely off stats which is an awful way to do this list

Yes, as I said, it is strictly based off the #s, and as I said there is more to being valuable or not than simply numbers. I still find it interesting.

This is just another example that numbers can be bent and twisted to look anyway the author wants.

Stuart is far far far from the least valuable player in the league.

He's not having a great season by any means, but it's a joke to have him last.

Guest lilja4mvp

stuart's NTC is up after this season.

time to cut that 3.75 mil loose. see ya, brad.

Its interesting that Lidstrom and Stuart's PK numbers are so different...don't they usually kill penalties together?

When Kronner was out he killed with Ericsson or Lebda mostly I thought.

if stuart ia the leat valuable player, what the f*** is dan cleary?

Stuart didn't have the luxury of being injured.

Disagree. Stuart has been solid this season.

He's been uneven. Amazing for the first half of the season, pretty much carrying the defense himself it seemed like. After christmas until the Olympic break he was kinda terrible, but after the break he has got it together again and is playing solid.

But he's definitely not the least valuable player in the league. Two of the biggest things he does for us, hits and blocked shots, are not taken into account there.

Not I sure I buy into these statistics entirely. If I'm understanding correctly, they are based on what they are calling "relative +/-", which means they take the player's on-ice goal differential 5-on-5, PP, and PK, then subtract the goal-differential of his team in those same situiations when he's off the ice ... if the player is better than the team average, it enhances his +/-. If the player is worse, his score drops. Ideally this compensates for the disparity between players on a good team and players on a bad team ... but no system is perfect. Players in a non-scoring role will inevitably be penalized because the team scores more with them off the ice than on it.

This is most noticeable with Stuart's PP number. Stuart's PP # is a -8.4, but he's rarely on the PP. Has he been on the ice for this many shorthanded goals against? No ... what's making his number so bad is that with his limited PP time he's been on the ice for very few PP goals. Compare him to the rest of the team and his number drops. Hypothetically he could be a +10, but if his team is +18.4 with him off the ice, he ends up with a -8.4.

5-on-5 and PK are probably not as flawed for him because he does log plenty of ice time there, but I wonder how much of that is due to rotating cast of defensemen he's been paired with? In any case, not a great statistical year for Stuart, but least valuable? Not even close ...

Edited by lets go pavel

Lidstrom's effect always blows me away. From the article:

His penalty killing work is particularly telling. When he's on the ice, the Red Wings give up 3.45 goals per 60 minutes, a rate that is better than the top overall PK teams in the league. When he's on the bench, the Wings give up 8.36 goals per 60 minutes, which would rank among the worst.

That is crazy. :yowza:

Basically, whomever plays on the PK with Lidstrom is automatically a part of the best penalty killing unit in the league.

Guest Crymson

Whoever wrote up that list apparently doesn't watch hockey.

That said, I always get a kick out of how some people here treat opinions from articles as if they proverbially came from above.

Edited by Crymson

You know, this reminds me of the age-old statement..."there are lies, there are damned lies, and then there are statistics."