• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FIBS

Another dirty hit

Rate this topic

Are the players honestly getting that much stupider? Horrible, moronic, 100% head hit. Its baffling that with all of the talk about head hits in the last year, especially in the last few weeks, guys are still deciding to take a guys head in a hit. Same as when Raffi Torres hit Helm in the head when the Wings were playing the Sabres a few games ago. The players all talk about how it needs to come out of the game, and yet...

hahaha he said "stupider"...

That's what I saw too. Looked like a pretty good hit to me.

Leaving your feet to make a high hit on a guy 10ft away from the puck looked like a good hit to you?

I just caught these shenanigans over at HF and that's probably one of the most cowardly things I've ever seen. Clear intent to injure, no question about it. You can't have players purposely trying to injure players, that's not hockey. If it was then I'd be pulling up every AHL scrub I could and having my guys cross checking faces to take star players out of the game. Accidents happen because violence is a part of hockey. This wasn't an accident, it was clear intent to injure as retribution for an earlier clean hit.

Guest Shoreline

Left his feet, that's an easy charging call right there and that's not a clean hit. No ambiguity there.

Sopel, on the other hand, needs to be majorly embarrassed for that stupid ass dive. That was one of the worst I've ever seen.

IDK about that dive by Sopel. He looked like he was jumping for the puck right as he got hit which made it look funny.

I agree.

TSN.ca:

The play started when Lubomir Visnovsky's shot from just inside the blue line was deflected high in the air, and Sopel was cross-checked to the ice by Perry as they waited for the puck to come down. Perry then got the puck to Koivu, whose 20-foot wrist shot beat Corey Crawford with 5:36 remaining.

"I thought it was definitely going to be a penalty. It was pretty evident," Sopel said. "I was jumping for the puck and he pushed me down. You can't do that. You've got to blow it down. You can't let it go in the slot like that and let them score a goal."

Edited by P. Marlowe

Guest nutz2u

He left his feet, and hit him in the chest. The charging call IMO was correct. Intent to injure? Yes. Personally, I think he deserved every bit of it because of the head hit he had just put on ******* Cory Perry. A dirty hit is dirty regardless of who is on the recieving end of it.........

Absolutely asinine hit. Obviously for physical play and standing up for other players getting hit (and the first hit was questionable/iffy) but you don't clock people to the head with headshots. "Retaliate" with a big legal check or a fight where both drop the gloves. Unfortuantely the latter would rarely happen now.

Boy, I must be getting old...

That hit - in my opinion, anyway - was a thing of beauty. Someone hits your skill player (as much as I hate to say skill whilst talking about Perry /vomit ) and your goon goes and gets a piece of him. There is NOTHING illegal about this hit, from what I can see... he was just a defenseman pinching and seeing an opportunity to lay out a massive hit. I remember the late 90's when the Wings would do this all the time if someone screwed with Yzerman/Fedorov/Lidstrom/etc. (D-Mac, Lapointe, Konstantinov, Shanny...)

Lets please not turn into a bunch of fuddy-duddys about hitting all the sudden. First this ridiculous Ovetchkin suspension and now I feel like people are going to try to turn this into the same thing. People get hurt in hockey. It happens. Head shots can be avoided - I get that... but I'm afraid people are going to start tacking suspensions on to penalties if the opposing player gets injured. What's next? Are we gonna install airbags into the boards?

That hit - in my opinion, anyway - was a thing of beauty. Someone hits your skill player (as much as I hate to say skill whilst talking about Perry /vomit ) and your goon goes and gets a piece of him. There is NOTHING illegal about this hit, from what I can see... he was just a defenseman pinching and seeing an opportunity to lay out a massive hit. I remember the late 90's when the Wings would do this all the time if someone screwed with Yzerman/Fedorov/Lidstrom/etc. (D-Mac, Lapointe, Konstantinov, Shanny...)

Lets please not turn into a bunch of fuddy-duddys about hitting all the sudden. First this ridiculous Ovetchkin suspension and now I feel like people are going to try to turn this into the same thing. People get hurt in hockey. It happens. Head shots can be avoided - I get that... but I'm afraid people are going to start tacking suspensions on to penalties if the opposing player gets injured. What's next? Are we gonna install airbags into the boards?

I think you have a point. I'm not interested in watching that hit ten times and have an opinion about it, so I won't go into that. I just think that with all this talk about head shots many people are bound to start overreacting whenever there's a hard hit and a player gets hurt.

My opinion, the hit was intent to injure, he was definately going after him for the hit on Perry. He starts his line for the hit at least from the top of the circle (quite a distance), he jumped into the hit, the puck was nowhere near Seabrook (he hadn't even touched it for quite some time) and his elbows were up, regardless where the initial contact was (chest, or it looks like it could even be chin anyway). There was nothing clean about the hit, he will be suspended I'm sure (well, you never know with the NHL, you can never be so sure).

He left his feet, and hit him in the chest. The charging call IMO was correct. Intent to injure? Yes. Personally, I think he deserved every bit of it because of the head hit he had just put on ******* Cory Perry. A dirty hit is dirty regardless of who is on the recieving end of it.........

I could be wrong here, but I thought Perry took a huge dive on that play. If you look at it, to me, it looks like Seabrook was going for a hit, but when Perry started to turn, he let up big time and didn't really hit him at all, he just looks to give him a weak little push with his hands and Perry tries to sell it. After Perry realizes there would be no call, he's back up instantly. I want to say I'm completely unbiased here as I have no interest in Chicago or Seabrook one way or another, but I do have a pretty good dislike for Perry.

Guest nutz2u

:thumbup:

The hit on Perry was more of a head shot than the one on Seabrook and as I said before Seabrook's bone-cruncher was well deserved.

Edited by nutz2u

IDK about that dive by Sopel. He looked like he was jumping for the puck right as he got hit which made it look funny.

That was my initial thought as well, actually, my initial thought was that it looked like a horrible dive, but then looking at it again, it looks like he is about to jump and then gets pushed from behind, when he has absolutely no footing or balance, so I don't really think it was a dive.

I know he and the Hawks were furious on that play thinking there should be a penalty, especially because they scored, but I disagree with that, it wasn't a cross check, it was a push. He thought it should have been interference, but he was jumping to play the puck, I don't have a problem with someone trying to push him out of the way.

I don't understand what is holding the NHL back from penalizing these hits to the head immediately I remember when Shaun Avery was swinging his stick in front of Brodeur the next day they changed the rules. I hope he gets at least 5 games.

I don't understand what is holding the NHL back from penalizing these hits to the head immediately I remember when Shaun Avery was swinging his stick in front of Brodeur the next day they changed the rules. I hope he gets at least 5 games.

I was thinking that too, but you need to ask yourself what league are you watching, and there's your answer.

The only thing I can think of is that it was in the playoffs, but I still don't see why that would be so different than regular season in terms of finalizing a new rule that I think everyone agrees with.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

He hit him high in the chest not the head. His head whipped back and hit the glass thats what KO'ed him. Whats dirty is the fact he left his feet to make a hit on Seabrook when he didnt have the puck. Not that Seabrook got hit in the head.

You are correct. But the leaving his feet isn't what I find most despicable. It's the clear and obvious intent to injure. Look at the timing of the hit. Very shortly after Seabrook's hit on Perry. Look at Wiz's position. He's a defenseman. WTF is he doing traveling down beyond the goaline to make a hit when his ass should be at the point, especially since the Hawks had possession? Also, Seabrook merely touched the puck for a split second and was far from playing the puck when Wiz drilled him. Yes, it's interference. But it's also a deliberate attempt to simply cream a player who isn't playing the puck and to go out of your way to do so.

I actually like Wiz. But you don't need a smoking gun here. You have a hit by Seabrook that pizzes off Wiz. As soon as he gets on the ice he beelines it for Seabrook, totally forgetting what ******* position he plays and acting like a forechecking winger and absolutely creams a guy who isn't expecting to get hit b/c he isn't playing the damned puck.

If I had my druthers, I'd give him 10 games. If I had to suspend him based on what the NHL typically does, I would expect a 3-4 game suspension.

What will the NHL likely do.................nothing.

You are correct. But the leaving his feet isn't what I find most despicable. It's the clear and obvious intent to injure. Look at the timing of the hit. Very shortly after Seabrook's hit on Perry. Look at Wiz's position. He's a defenseman. WTF is he doing traveling down beyond the goaline to make a hit when his ass should be at the point, especially since the Hawks had possession? Also, Seabrook merely touched the puck for a split second and was far from playing the puck when Wiz drilled him. Yes, it's interference. But it's also a deliberate attempt to simply cream a player who isn't playing the puck and to go out of your way to do so.

I actually like Wiz. But you don't need a smoking gun here. You have a hit by Seabrook that pizzes off Wiz. As soon as he gets on the ice he beelines it for Seabrook, totally forgetting what ******* position he plays and acting like a forechecking winger and absolutely creams a guy who isn't expecting to get hit b/c he isn't playing the damned puck.

If I had my druthers, I'd give him 10 games. If I had to suspend him based on what the NHL typically does, I would expect a 3-4 game suspension.

What will the NHL likely do.................nothing.

I agree with all of this.